• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

beginer golfer needs help

mogirl

Aug 23, 2006
My just turned 14 year old golfer (daughter, freshman) who has golfed for one year needs to get new clubs. She is 5'7" and was told ladies clubs will be too short. She should buy mens grafite. Any advice? She is atheltic.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
mogirl said:
My just turned 14 year old golfer (daughter, freshman) who has golfed for one year needs to get new clubs. She is 5'7" and was told ladies clubs will be too short. She should buy mens grafite. Any advice? She is atheltic.
This will depend a great deal on her swing. I believe most standard ladies clubs are designed for 5'8". Realize the flex of the shaft and lie of the club may be more important than the length, and a men's standard may be to stiff of a shaft. Seniors clubs may be another viable option. There is usually no additional cost on getting fitted over just buying a set off the rack. Although it is unlikely you will be able to get clearance items. So if you are not buying clearance I would talk to the local pro, or go to a Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy if you have one in your area to get fitted. If you simply intend to buy off the rack, you can do a static fitting on Ping's website, which is free and just asks a few question about the person, it will not be as good as a dynamic fitting from a pro, but may be helpful especially if she is growing. Her fitting now will likely be different as she grows.

http://www.pinggolf.com/global_webfit.html

edit 1 - On this site, I believe Orange dot is standard for women, and Black is standard lies for men, so It will give you an idea. Again, the Shaft flex is just as important, and the grips will likely need to be changed if you buy standard mens clubs.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
There is also a difference in loft between clubs on women's because of slower swing speeds. So a custom fitting is really the way to go.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
warbirdlover said:
There is also a difference in loft between clubs on women's because of slower swing speeds. So a custom fitting is really the way to go.
Not on all, they specifically did this on Ping G2's. I think they are trying to get away from this more. One of the main reasons my wife hated her old Ping's, they didn't even come with a 6i because of this and gave her large gaps in between clubs. One of the main reasons she stayed away from Pings and went with the TM's when the airlines lost her clubs. They did however change this on the G5's I believe, with exception to the wedges. But it is certainly something that should be checked.

OP
M

mogirl

Aug 23, 2006
girl lefty which clubs

I went to the ping web site a few days ago and put in female 5'7" with a hand size of 7, and longest finger 3 ,wrist to floor 34"(shoes on), it said irons black and grip aqua which was ladies standard. I drove all over town, and could not find any lefties. Someone mentioned Golf Galaxy a new store (OKC) here so I went there yesterday. They had one set of womens lefties; she said they felt short and a salesmen said they looked a little short. I didn't have her measured though. They did have a Calaway preowned (some kind) mens left grafite and they seemed to fit her in length, when she hit a ball against the white mat. She did hit the ball to the left a little, I do not know if the end is to heavy but she did straighten it out after a few hits. When I got home I compared the size of the jr clubs ( I bought them five years ago from academy, she started using them last year) she was using to a standard size lady club and it was only 3/4 of an inch taller. When I got home I went on pingweb again to figure out what was going on about the size since it said she was standard and I discovered if I switch from ladies to men it gives me the same results black irons with aqua grip -0.25 shaft lenght. Whats that about? I am thinking about just getting her lefties Ping G5 in mens grafite shaft. I can't find any for her to try though. I never heard about the seniors ? What do you think? She will be golfing as a freshman at school. I'm thinking Ping will last. What should I do? Thanks Susan

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Ouch, I feel your pain. Or I should say my wife feels your pain. She is a lefty as well and when the airlines lost her clubs, it took her about 3-5 months to piece her set back together. Although that was mainly for her woods. On Pings site, as mentioned, I believe Orange is standard for Womens, Black is standard for Men. It give more leway in changing the lie.

If you intend to get the G5's, again getting fitting is not going to cost you more. Although it will be darn near impossible finding womens clubs to demo, a decent pro shop will still be able to fit her fairly close if they simply have a left handed club in stock. If you check Pings site, they list local ping fitters and most have lefty clubs or at least a 6i to fit.

Again, if you intend to buy Pings, you will not only pay no more for fitting, but in our case we saved money over a rack set because we chose only the clubs we wanted. My experience with Ping is that most who sell the clubs have at least lefty 6i for fitting. Here is the link and it tells what type of fitting they have in your area, just call to find out if they have a left handed club. They should be able to get a good idea of the lie and a good idea of the correct swing speed for the shaft.
http://community.pinggolf.com/vhosts/lookup/retailerLocator.cfm

edit 1 - Rereading your note, Golf Galaxy usually has a full set of Ping Demo 6i's, although depending on the area, they are one of the few places I have found that charge for fitting's. Not sure about your area.

OP
M

mogirl

Aug 23, 2006
girl lefty

I just got off the phone with a friend who works at Tinker Airforce Base. The Ping Van will be there on the 23 of September. My friend said in will get us on base so that is what I will do I hate to wait with school allready starting but I thinks thats best.

thanks for the help
Susan

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Have fun at the fitting, I really enjoyed getting fitted, it is nice to get special attention and only have to pay 800 dollars for it!

🔥 Latest posts