• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner - do I have the right clubs?

Turner

Jul 17, 2009
Hi all-

Well, as far as being a beginner, let's say I love playing (3-4 times a year only, but hopefully more soon) and I have, among a bunch of old clubs that belonged to my grandfather and uncle, a set of Pal Joey Outbacks I purchased in 1992-1993 or so with pretty much no knowledge of what I really needed.

I know they're not made anymore and possibly few people have experience with them (or even know what they are!) but am wondering how I can tell if these are a good match for me. They weren't cheap, but they weren't too expensive, either.

I suppose like any other club, a good hit feels good and a bad hit makes me act like I tried to do that on purpose ;) but does feel obviously bad.

Honestly, as I'm getting back into it, I keep looking at those Big Bertha irons.. but would like to evaluate whether I can use what I have, and whether I can really justify an "upgrade".

Anyway, any help/tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Pal Joey Outbacks??? They don't have hickory shafts & wooden heads do they???:biglol:

I think I would toss those in the rummage sale pile & pick up something a little more current.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
If you feel like your leaving something on the course, by having clubs that don't fit, and are old and without the technology needed to help out, then buy new clubs.

I'd suggest going to a golf store, and trying out a bunch of stuff. Don't stray from the used clubs, as they are the best deals, and usually the better buys.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Nothing wrong with treating yourself to a set of new Irons :)
What you have are the basic cavity back, they look like older pings that people still use.
They may or may not, have quality shafts though.
As for the Big Berthas, unless you just love they way they look, I cant say that they are going to work any better. I have one 7i in a bog bertha, and I dont care much for it. just a personal observation from another novice.

OP
T

Turner

Jul 17, 2009
Thanks FATC1TY & Nikonut...

I may bring them in with me to find out if I could expect much of an immediate improvement with different clubs (vs. improvement through playing more..)

Took my 5, 7 and 3W out to the range at lunchtime today and had some fun. I can certainly connect with these things, I'd just like to be able to do it a lot more consistently.

I have not tried any of the oversize or "game improvement" clubs but will keep my eyes open. I don't know if some sellers have demo clubs to try out but will look for that too.

cheers,
Andrew

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
I have recently gotten into golf more than in the past. On ebay I purchased a complete set of Wilson ProStaff for 160 bucks with shipping. Now obviously these are not great clubs. But they are a start that I am building off of. Already got a new driver and a new wedge, once I get a real job after school in a few months a new set of irons are on the list. You can get something newer and cheap like that and build onto it like I am, unless of course you have enough money to spend then why not get yourself somethin nice

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online