• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner golfer needs help!

stewtomylou

Apr 8, 2009
Hello everyone,

I am finally about to graduate college and will finally have the time to play a little golf! I have not picked up a golf club since high school. My younger brother now uses my old set and I am in need of purchasing a new set of irons! Before going to college when I played about 2 times a month I was about a 8 handicap. What I am looking for and the reason I come to this board is to ask for some guidance on iron selection. What I am looking for is a good quality set of irons that are very forgiving and will help me improve my golf game. I will now hopefully have time to play once a week or more. Any help would be much appreciated!

-STEW

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
It all depends on what you want to spend. If money is no object, a new set of G-10's by Ping or something similar from another manufacturer will do. If you're looking for used, how long do you plan on playing them? If you are going to replace them as soon as you improve, look for a set of used Cleveland Hibore hybrid irons. If You want really cheap, and want to grow into them, a set of Tommy Armour, Silver Scott 845's can be had for cheap. They are great irons, and you can play them for a while as your game and you improve.

OP
S

stewtomylou

Apr 8, 2009
I guess I need to be more specific. Money is certainly an object. My plan is to work on my game and one I get my swing and game back then buy a very nice set. I would not mind a used set as long as they are playable for a year or so that would be fine. I was looking at craigs list and found a set of Taylor Made OS for 200 and they seem to be in good condition and had a good review on a site I was looking at. Does anyone have and insight on the Taylor made os? Thanks much

-STEW

bryguy

May 15, 2008
The RAC OS are very good irons, but I would look around some, you can find newer clubs for cheaper than that. You could almost get a set of clubs new for that price(albeit, they will be a couple of years old, but will still be new)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Go to ping.com and fill out their web fit and let us know what it says.

You won't be able to get a set of G10s for less than $500 or so, and on ebay you run the risk of them being counterfeit.

I just bought a short set of i10s (not here yet) 5-PW for $300 on another golf forum. If they don't work out, you will find them in our classified section very soon. :)

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
If you have a golf store nearby that deals in used clubs that is worth a look see. Nevada Bob's, Golf Galaxy, second swing. I picked up a set of Nike slingshots for $180. Very forgiving, hybrid like. Son-in-law is playing them. It's his first year of golf and he hits them very well.

After trying a number of clubs hop on line here again and we can help with pricing and choice. We we need to know a little bit about your height, swing type, swing speed etc to guide you.

OP
S

stewtomylou

Apr 8, 2009
I will attempt to get out to a golf shop sometime this week or this weekend and report back on here. Thanks a lot guys for your help!

-STEW

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Good advice...would it be a good idea to have a sticky on this subject?

Seems we get many similar requests for this type of advice and the answers are always the same.

Just a thought

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
sticky would be good...

for the record, if you haven't swung in a while I would get the most forgiving club you could get your hands on, just to get your confidence back. The Nike's suggested woudl be a good pick, they seem to do well with the super game improvement. Also the SUMO's too, a little newer, but the slingshots would do. G-10's or G 5's, if you can find them... those were the most forgiving clubs I hit... Callaways never seem to be cheap for any reason, but they make the Fusion set which is very forgiving as well.

A.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Another idea for newbies looking to pick up nice clubs... cheap... is to check this forum on Sunday evening or Monday morning. Many of us weekend hackers are ready to unload our clubs about that time. We've bragged all week how well we can play. We've dreampt all week about 300 yard drives and one-putt greens. Then, we go out and shoot the score our real skill level can perform at... and, we blame the clubs!!!!

Watch... read... catch one of us at our weak moment!!!:biglol::biglol:

🔥 Latest posts