• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner Needs help deciding clubs

ImTigerWoods

Sep 6, 2005
Hi Forum, This is my first post and I can guarantee, won’t be my last. I have recently taken up this wonderful sport and have been playing for the past month. I have been playing with as i can only describe as - my great grandfather type clubs. The clubs that I use are blades and I have been told that I should invest in some cavity backs as there more suitable for beginners with high handicap. I don’t want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on this equipment as I’m just a beginner. Now I have seen some clubs which are reduced, please can anyone give me some info on a) If there any good. b) If there not, is there anything out there for the same price that’s better?

http://www.thesportshq.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=748

http://www.thesportshq.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=13

I would appreciate any feedback what so ever, like I said, I’m a beginner and need a bit of guidance/advice.

Thank you

:ukflag:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hey, welcome aboard! And welcome to the so-called "wonderful" game of golf?!? :D

I'm gonna get hacked here for my comments, but I can take it.

I'm one for name brand clubs. The two links you have provided are just cheap sets. I've played both clone (copies) and OEM clubs and the difference is night and day. The quality is better, better feel and better performance. That being said, you don't have to buy brand new sticks to play decent golf.

My advice is to do some research into your swing. Find out what shaft you should be using, what flex, ect. Then, find a few sets that might fit your skill set. My guess is that you'd want some "game improvement" irons and woods, which means a bigger sweetspot for more consistent shot making and helping with miss hits. A cavity back with a wide sole will provide you with the aforementioned tools to help you a) get the ball up in the air and b) create a straighter, more predictable shot.

After getting a few sets nailed down, get the ones that please your eye. Asthetics are worth their weight in gold, let me tell you. You won't play well if you hate your clubs.

Grab the set and start hitting balls. If you can, take some lessons. Often, this is more important than equipment. (The guys back in the 30's and 40's didn't do too bad, eh?)

Once you've done a little research into what YOU need, then it's time to ask opinions on golf clubs. You'll hear "Get Cleveland" or "Get Callaway", but ultimately only you'll know what you want. If you see a set that you like, and it has all the components that you require (regular flex shaft, bigger sole, cavity back, appealing to the eye, ect.) then buy them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Don't be a stranger and ask any questions that you might have floating around up there. Some of us have to justify being here 8 hours a day! :D

Cheers,

R35

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I agree, stick with pro line equipment. If you are looking at a used set and want some feedback I would be happy to answer your questions.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
ITW:

Can you give the group here a budget? What are you thinking of spending?

This can help us narrow down some choices for you...Also, we see that you are in the UK. Are you per chance near a metro area that has a good clubfitter?

OP
I

ImTigerWoods

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks R35/obagain for the info/offer for advice, it does make sense. I was up the driving range today hitting balls really well, so my swing seems fine. The drivers i was using were nothing expensive and i was hitting around 250 with range balls -
[size=-1]DRIVER REGAL Z420 Ti[/size]DRIVER Donnay Summerslam II 400cc

The irons i am using are - John Letters triolgy 2000 oversize??
I seem to be hitting the ball fairly well but since these are blades, i thought that there could be new clubs out there for a reasonable price which would improve my game that were cavity backs as i have read that these are far more forgiving. I have the maximum handicap you can get but thats only down to the fact that im not a member of a club and haven't done the score cards etc. My price range for new clubs is between £80 - £150. I totally understand the whole - you only get what you pay for, but if these clubs that i am using are low spec, i can build from that and move forward. If i can get a few extra yards to the flag its worth a change of equipment.

And Bravo - im not sure if i am close to a clubfitter, sorry but i have only just got envolved in the game in the last 4 weeks. Im learning the ropes still, soz

Cheers guys,

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Starting off with blades might benefit you.. could it, fellas? Starting with more difficult clubs (though better, just for the blades factor) could be beneficial..

I went to a local sports store, and they have a lot of sets between 150 and 300 american (that's in your range isn't it?). I dunno what they have in Europe, but just shop around a little. Lots of places should have rooms where you can try the clubs out.

Just starting out, that should do you fine. My first set was 1, 3, 5 wood and 3-pw for 160$. Loved 'em. Wilson Matrix. See if you can pick them up yourself.

OP
I

ImTigerWoods

Sep 6, 2005
SilverUberXeno said:
Starting off with blades might benefit you.. could it, fellas? Starting with more difficult clubs (though better, just for the blades factor) could be beneficial..QUOTE]
SilverUberXeno said:
I always thought along those lines...if you use the most difficult tools for a job and use them to a decent standard then i imagine that it does improve you as a player.

I always thought that if i play well with blades (suppose to be difficult for beginners) and then made the change to cavity backs and better clubs, i could gain better accuracy which i would then acheive more distance. In all fairness isn't that bad anyway, i suppose im trying to get better to fast. But its just that i know even though i have only been playing a few weeks, i know i can be really good based on how im playing now. Im just trying to get there overnight.

Thanks for the input SilverUberXeno

Members online

No members online now.