• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner Training Aids

CraigOn2Whls

Sep 15, 2006
Hello all;

I am new to golf, only started about 6 weeks ago. I started right off with taking lessons from a PGA Golf pro from a local course/training center. I am continueing with my lessons, but I am looking for a training aid to help me develop my swing and gain consistancy striking the ball well.

I am looking at the Momentus and Medicus. This is not going to replace my lessons with the pro, but an addition to help me build a solid base for my swing and consistancy.

Can anyone comment on the pro's and Con's of them or which they have had luck with.

Thanks in advance.
-Craig (New Duffer)

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i think these are good for warming up, and thats about it.

i've seen a million practice swings before shots, and NEVER does the golfer hit his shot like his practice swing.

never.

i don't know why.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I was in Wallyworld tonight and noticed a golf training aid for $20 that the name brand version costs over $100 in the golf catalogs. It's just a grip on a short shaft with a heavy club head on it. It helps you feel the release when you come through and my pro has me work with it alot. It does help too. I need to go back and grab one.

SidV,

I enjoy watching all the hackers take these pretty nice looking practice swings over and over and then get up to the ball and swing with something that is so different and bizaar you wouldn't believe they ever held a club in their hand before. Pretty funny stuff. (Then I get up and do it)....

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
Hello all;

I am new to golf, only started about 6 weeks ago. I started right off with taking lessons from a PGA Golf pro from a local course/training center. I am continueing with my lessons, but I am looking for a training aid to help me develop my swing and gain consistancy striking the ball well.

I am looking at the Momentus and Medicus. This is not going to replace my lessons with the pro, but an addition to help me build a solid base for my swing and consistancy.

Can anyone comment on the pro's and Con's of them or which they have had luck with.

Thanks in advance.
-Craig (New Duffer)

Unless you have good form the Momentus will do no good. I gave it to a friend to try and his form is so bad that it would not help. If you have basic mechanics, it will help with the release of the club on the downswing.

The Medicus is good if you have a conventional swing. I don't know how it works for the Natural Golfer or "Simple Swing" golfer. It gives feedback on tempo and the proper swing plane. It has helped my irons play.

I would actually like to get the Driver version of the Medicus. The Refiner is a 'clone' with a similar mechanism in both the driver and 5 iron - it is roughtly half of the price.

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
Do you have a particular problem area? (Slicing,topping, whiffing, etc). I think thats an important factor before you go out and buy.

OP
C

CraigOn2Whls

Sep 15, 2006
Thanks

Thanks for the Great info..

Daddymack:
The issues I am seeing currently is just consistancy getting good contact with the ball with my irons.. either I would take a HUGH divot or Top it, this mostly happens with the longer irons(8, 7, 6, 5).
But once in a while I get a really nice approach shot(Which feeds my addiction to this sport).
The Pro I am seeing said I am getting the club to far on top (Over) my head instead of in back of me on my back swing, I have to work on really reaching back with the club in the first part of my back swing as well as getting my left shoulder over my right toe at the top of my back swing(I'm a righty).

I am looking for a tool that will help me engrain the proper techniques the Pro is showing me

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Stick some weighted rings on your clubs or swing two at once. Usually a cheaper approach.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Momentus

I agree that the Momentus works well if you have a grooved, fairly one-plane swing. That being said, it will also help you get the feeling of a one-plane swing. I love it, and use it for pre-round stretching, muscle-memory training, and general cuddling when my wife is out of town:)

PS - Post #50

OP
C

CraigOn2Whls

Sep 15, 2006
Thanks for all the replies..

Well.. I ended up ordering the Medicus (I went all out and got the "training Package" Both the Driver and 5 iron).

Based on what I read here and some other forums I decided on the Medicus because I was interested in really getting my swing plane correct and good tempo. And the Medicus seems more geared to me learning the proper swing as a beginner.

I will Update when I get it and let you know how it works out.(I hope I am not disappointed)

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
...I will Update when I get it and let you know how it works out.(I hope I am not disappointed)

I'm not sure if he has one or not but if things don't work out and you're willing to let it go for say.....$44.00 or so I know someone who might take it off your hands....Rock? :D

Good luck, I'm quite interested in your review so don't let us down!

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
The medicus looks real good on TV, The hinges can be adjusted to break easy or not. As long as you stick with it, you'll be fine.

You said topping it and hitting fat is your problem, not sure if the medicus will help that. I went to an all Hybrid set of clubs and it has worked wonders. They really prevent you from digging into the ground so you can go after it without any concerns about hitting it fat. Just keep your head down, grip it, and rip it.

PS. I have a medicus, I rarely used. Still has the plastic on the head. When I bought it, I was not ready to swing a 5 iron yet.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.