• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginners glossary/tech reference

myndcraft

Sunset Beach Golf Co.
Aug 29, 2007
Hey all, as we have seen from some of my other threads I'm fairly new to the game (playing after a 12 year hiatus and barely even played back then) and could use some help with terminology etc..

For example when referring to clubs what do the following mean?

Offset, loft/lie angle, bounce.

Then theirs different flexes in the shaft and different shaft materials all together.

Well frankly it seems like a lot. So while I could go look all these terms up I was wondering if anyone here could gve some insight on both to meaning and how they all relate to each other.. if at all.

So any help / additional information would be greatly appreciated.. even if it's to stop being lazy and read a book! … though maybe in that case you could recommend a good one LOL

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Offset, How far the clubhead sits back from the hosel at address. For example, you can pick up a set of Ping G5 Irons, and a set of Mizuno MP32s, and you should get an idea for that.

loft/lie angle, Loft angle is how steep of angle each club has on the clubface itself. For example, a driver. Some come in 9 degrees, some in 11. It's the same principal with irons, though, more standardized. Lie angle is the angle it rises from the ground. Essentially, what degree does the shaft come up from the ground and toward your hands? Taller players need a higher lie angle, short a lower.

bounce. Bounce I'm not terribly sharp on. I am pretty sure it has to deal with the shape of the sole of a club. This I do know...A low bounce is better for players with a more sweeping swing, that tend to pick the ball more than dig it out. Higher bounce is good for people who dig it out and take a more of "attack" approach at it.

Then theirs different flexes in the shaft and different shaft materials all together. This is Rock and Lyle's area. To be honest, I understand the principles of shafts, but always yield to them with nearly any question on shafts. It's pretty thick.

How do they relate? Well, it's all a web. Some people get high lie angle, low bounce, and weak (higher degree) loft angles. It's all preference really, and what caters to your style of golf.

Irish

May 9, 2007
I think a glossary would be a good idea though with some explainations of some terminology from the basic stuff to more complex terminology..

from lie/loft/bounce all the way to cpm and other stuff

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.