• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginning Clubmaking 101

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
According to this -> http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/TaylorMade.pdf

the 300s are .355 - the one I don't know about :ugly25: So all that mess I typed up there is useless info for you to store away in your noggin.

They don't list "LT2," but they have LT and it's .370.

This page is mighty handy, I've never run across it before - OEM Shaft Replacement Guide - The GolfWorks

Hah, you are better at teh interweb than I am! Thanks.

SiberianDVM said:
Your wife is capable of flexing 5.0s in a swing? Damn.

No, probably not. Her confidence hitting irons is poor right now ( due largely to the 3 and 4i issues mentioned above ) so she doesn't really swing them.

That said, her SS is right at the bottom of "regular flex" on this chart;

http://www.golfsmith.com/display_page.php?page_num=learn_how6

I don't think I have ever seen a sub 5 Rifle shaft, though, so I figured that was close enough. She hits her regular flex Burner over 200 yards, so I'm thinkin' it's about 80mph.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I don't think I have ever seen a sub 5 Rifle shaft, though, so I figured that was close enough. She hits her regular flex Burner over 200 yards, so I'm thinkin' it's about 80mph.

They do make down to 4.5 Rifles, and you could even soft-step that if she needed a little less.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
They do make down to 4.5 Rifles, and you could even soft-step that if she needed a little less.

Their web site seems to indicate they go all the way down to 2.5, but like I said, I've never seen one. Since I probably won't spend the $17/each for new ones, I'll have to consider what's available used/pulled.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States

The swing speed will be lower with the irons. I know I seen 4.0s somewhere, although this only goes down to 4.5.

ROYAL PRECISION RIFLE STEEL IRON SHAFTS

For a lady amateur I still think graphite works best. I know my GF will never be able to swing the steel fast enough to flex it.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Their web site seems to indicate they go all the way down to 2.5, but like I said, I've never seen one. Since I probably won't spend the $17/each for new ones, I'll have to consider what's available used/pulled.

Ah, good point on used - didn't realize you were looking for that. You could soft-step what you get, though. Like if you get a set of 5.0s pulled from 3-P, you could put them in 4-whateva and they'd play softer. Then they'd also be 1/2" shorter assuming they were originally made to standard spacings. You just wouldn't have a shaft for the 3 so you'd have to buy a new one for it or something.

Of course there are a lot of decent shafts that are considerably less expensive than Rifles. Even some decent graphite shafts like SiberianDVM mentioned are less expensive than Rifles.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
For a lady amateur I still think graphite works best. I know my GF will never be able to swing the steel fast enough to flex it.

BrandonM7 said:
Of course there are a lot of decent shafts that are considerably less expensive than Rifles. Even some decent graphite shafts like SiberianDVM mentioned are less expensive than Rifles.

Yeah, I agree. My original remark was just a flippant one, I have not tried to figure out the best for her yet. The problem with the graphites she's playing now is that they are so light that the swingweight is too high. I guess that could be changed...

The other problem is that I can't get my brain around anyone hitting a shaft that flexes at ~50mph. Seems like that'd be impossible to control, and they'd be better off with something that won't flex. I recognize I may be wrong, there.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
You can use inexpensive butt weights or tip weights to balance the swingweight if you need to. I didn't have a problem with the SW on the GFs clubs, as they are still shorter than my mens standards even with extensions.

The lighter weight of the graphite tends to lower the overall swingweight, I have found.

I would buy a couple of inexpensive Acer graphite shafts and play around with the flex, in say, a 5, 6, or 7 iron, whichever she hits best, until you find one she consistenly hits center face.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Okay, new project.

I played with one of my brothers-in-law yesterday, and he was really struggling with massive hooks. Now, I realize that most of his problem is his wickedly-strong grip, but he says nothing else is comfortable. So I want to take my extra driver (which happens to be almost the same as one of his) and put the biggest grip I can find on it, and see if that helps him any.

The biggest grips I am finding online are 1/8" oversize, like these;

Golfsmith.com: Winn Excel Oversize XF Grip +1/8 - Winn

Is that it, or am I missing anything?

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
Okay, new project.

I played with one of my brothers-in-law yesterday, and he was really struggling with massive hooks. Now, I realize that most of his problem is his wickedly-strong grip, but he says nothing else is comfortable. So I want to take my extra driver (which happens to be almost the same as one of his) and put the biggest grip I can find on it, and see if that helps him any.

The biggest grips I am finding online are 1/8" oversize, like these;

Golfsmith.com: Winn Excel Oversize XF Grip +1/8 - Winn

Is that it, or am I missing anything?
biggest grips I have ever seen, and they are big...also can be bought in black(but I am sure oyu already knew that)

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
The experimental brother-in-law driver is finished ;) I went to Golfsmith, borrowed their grip gauge, and bought the biggest grip they had, which turned out to be a black-and-blue Lamkin something-or-other.

I stuck that on my old TaylorMade R7 quad, put all the weight out on the toe, and sent it out to be delivered to him. It looks like hell, with the red/gray/black TM graphics and the black/blue grip, but maybe it'll work for him. I swung it a little in the backyard, trying to approximate his grip, but that wasn't too informative.

We'll see...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You can throw on a couple extra wraps of tape to make the grip bigger yet.

I think I remember reading that Ernie plays standard grips with 6 extra wraps because his hands are so big, but likes the thinner feel of the standard grips.

R35

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
You can throw on a couple extra wraps of tape to make the grip bigger yet.

I think I remember reading that Ernie plays standard grips with 6 extra wraps because his hands are so big, but likes the thinner feel of the standard grips.

R35

I did throw a little extra tape on, but not being an experienced clubmaker, I had to be careful so I knew the grip would still go on.

🔥 Latest posts