• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Belly no more!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I still don't see that it's a huge advantage and when you factor in that its available to all, there is no advantage. Just choice.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I still don't see that it's a huge advantage and when you factor in that its available to all, there is no advantage. Just choice.

IIRC, they didn't ban it on grounds of unfair advantage, anchoring was banned in general basically for the preservation of the games honor(or something to that effect).

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I believe this to be one of the best replies in this entire thread.
Yeah, well, nobody asked you!

How far should something like that be taken? Technically it could be applied to using the foot wedge...make it available to everyone and its not technically cheating right? Obviously an exaggeration, but i think it pushes my point.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Yeah, well, nobody asked you!

How far should something like that be taken? Technically it could be applied to using the foot wedge...make it available to everyone and its not technically cheating right? Obviously an exaggeration, but i think it pushes my point.

As long as you don't anchor the foot wedge I see no problem.:D

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
My thought, and BigJim's I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), is that it was already accepted by the governing bodies of golf as a legal club. Therefore, it's available to everyone. This availability of a legal club negates any complaints about advantage. It's the player's choice to not take advantage of the rules.

I personally don't like them and would never use one. I'm glad to see them going away. But, I also don't consider you having an advantage if you do.

My only comment on the foot wedge: I might wedge my foot deep in a certain gun toting fool around here, given the chance...:p

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My thought, and BigJim's I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), is that it was already accepted by the governing bodies of golf as a legal club. Therefore, it's available to everyone. This availability of a legal club negates any complaints about advantage. It's the player's choice to not take advantage of the rules.

I personally don't like them and would never use one. I'm glad to see them going away. But, I also don't consider you having an advantage if you do.

My only comment on the foot wedge: I might wedge my foot deep in a certain gun toting fool around here, given the chance...:p
You have just said it far better than I have been able to.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I believe this to be one of the best replies in this entire thread.

One of my major points is that it takes a lot of the mental / pressure aspect out of putting, because there is much less likelihood of that yippy wrist rotation creeping in to the movement.

If we are all agreeing that it's not a disadvantage, "because everyone could use one," then I think we're all agreeing that using one would be an advantage, right? NOT using one would be accepting a disadvantage. I agree.

USGA evidently, sensibly, wanted to keep the game from being easier. Making a 4 footer on 18 should be more about line and speed. With a belly putter, it's just easier. There are less variables. Yes, if everyone used one, it would not be an advantage. EVERYONE would be utilizing the same equipment that made the game easier.

That's not what they want.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You have just said it far better than I have been able to.

This is so ass-backwards from anything you were saying earlier. You were saying the club doesn't make the game easier. Now you're saying it does make the game easier, but that's okay because everyone had the same opportunity to use it?

I've got to find a better use of my time. :confused:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This is so ass-backwards from anything you were saying earlier. You were saying the club doesn't make the game easier. Now you're saying it does make the game easier, but that's okay because everyone had the same opportunity to use it?

No, I'm saying its not an unfair advantage because everybody has the same opportunity to use the putter.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

There is no better use of time than arguing on shot talk. How do you think i got all these posts?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I'm not even in agreement that it's even any easier. Just different. Some people may find it easier while others,like myself, may find it akward as hell.

I understand what people are getting at by saying that a variable is being taken out of the equation. Where I don't agree is in the facts that the anchorage point(one's belly, chest, chin, etc...) is not like a fixed piece of steel. And the anchoring device(pressure of pulling club into one's self) is not a steel hinge, only allowing perfectly strait back and forth motion. And the spine angle(which helps determine the height of the anchorage point, the shaft angle- thusly the lie angle of the head) is not comprised of a bent and braced peice of steel ensuring that it is the same every time and remains still. It just doesn't do all that for you. While in theory it sounds great, it is still held and operated be a human with thousands of nerves and muscles that they cannot make repeat the exact same thing twice.

While most of those variables are not exclusive to the anchored putter they all indeed remain a factor with it. An anchored putter may serve to HELP reduce the use of hands/wrists, but I guarantee I could stand there and draw circles and figure-eights with an anchored putter with a pen on the end of it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This is one of those issues that I don't have a string opinion either way. I can see the point of the purist only wanting short/standard putters. That being said, like Nut said, it's available to anybody. You can't really call it cheating if everyone has the choice to do it.

This was my first post in the thread, pretty similar to my last post.

Then I started responding to your points SUX. And, I'm with Clark there is no better use of my time than arguing here. Do you remember our epic thread on gun control? We went back and forth for weeks (or days) then I think we got tired or Tiger took a dump in some oatmeal or something.... :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.