• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Belly putter?

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
it was so windy here today that even standing there trying to line up a putt, the wind was making me sway back and forth.

Definitely not good practice conditions to instill confidence. On my first trip to Scotland, I played a links course at Crail. The wind was so strong that I could see the ball quivering on the green as I addressed the ball for putts. The wind never actually moved the ball out of position; but the thought of it happening got into my head on every putt.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, I still haven't had a chance to play a round with my new belly putter, so the ribbing hasn't begun yet, lol. This is the one I ended up going with. Yeah, I know, it's in contention for one of the ugliest putters ever made. But after several trips to the practice green, and many hours rolling putts on the carpet, I have to admit it works. Am I draining every putt? Of course not, but I'm making a higher percentage of them, and my misses are all withing the easy tap in range to all but eliminate the chance of 3 putts. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the looks on my playing partners faces when they see it, lol. It is definitely a totally different putting style, and is taking quite a bit of getting used to. I may still cut it down 1 - 1 1/2 inches, and might even add a bit of weight to it with some lead tape to give it a bit more heft. But all in all, so far the belly putter experiment seems to be paying off. The tube makes it SUPER easy to lign up, and anchoring it just to the left of my belly button has certainly steadied my putting stroke, if only in my mind. And hey, thats over half the battle, right?

So my advice, if your not completely satisfied with your putting, and think you can handle to possible redicule from your playing partners, check out ebay, craigslist, or the link that Jerry provided, and invest a little money in what could be a very successful experiment.
pipe putter.jpg

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If I decided to increase the weight of the putter head, can't I pour some lead powder down the shaft? How do I get it to harden once I do so?

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
If I decided to increase the weight of the putter head, can't I pour some lead powder down the shaft? How do I get it to harden once I do so?

Not sure if you could get it to harden but couldn't you pour something down the shaft that will harden on top the powder and act like a plug?

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Not sure if you could get it to harden but couldn't you pour something down the shaft that will harden on top the powder and act like a plug?

True, hadn't even thought of that.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, the belly/sternum putter has earned a spot in the bag. I had been trying to use it as a belly putter, anchoring it just above my navel due to its length and just never get the feel for it. Went down to the putting green today after a lot of time on the carpet holding it at my sternum and using my right hand in a claw grip. Ureeka, I was draing putts right and left with it. Sooooo, for now anyway, the Nickent Tube putter is in the bag as my gamer.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I couldn't make a belly putter work but boy I got my chest putter going mid-summer. It's a lock in the bag now.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Within 10-15 feet I'm deadly with this sternum putter. 15 - 20 feet I'm leaving myself easy tap ins I can definitely live with. My problem is anything over 20 feet I just can't get a feel for. I keep coming up WAY short. Any tips?

🔥 Latest posts