• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Belly putter?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, after much deliberation, more than $1000.00 invested in putters, including 3 Scotty's, I've decided to try a belly putter. Problem is, I don't want to, nor can I afford to buy a good one, I've decided to build myself a belly putter. This is the one I'm thinking about getting and either extending the shaft or buying a new shaft.

Tour Edge BackDraft GT+ Putters
I'm looking at the OS-3. If this experiment fails, I'll just have to admit I can't putt, lol

The only problem is, they don't list the weight, and I know a belly or chest putter needs to be on the heavy side.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Ralph Maltby

The above link has quite a bit of info about building a belly putter. It appears, from this article and some others I have read, the main issue using a standard putter head is the lie angle. If you do get one built, there may be a shop in your area that could tweak the lie angle if it were incorrect. A couple of the component manufacturers have putter heads specifically for 'broomstick' or belly use. Others just sell their regular heads and the assembler will need to make the appropriate lie adjustments.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks Limpalong, great info there. The head I'm looking at has the plumbers neck so there should be plenty of adjustability there. Now to just find one of those adjustable length putters to determine what length I need.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Go to the local lumberyard and buy a 4 Ft long, 3/4 or 1 inch diameter wooden dowel. Should cost barely a dollar. Drill a hole in one end that will fit over the outside of the hosel... snugly. Trim the dowel to where it is comfortable. Take segments off a 1/2" at a time until you find the forrect length. Then, convert that length to what would be needed when you use the shaft that fits inside the hosel.

That's certainly not scientific and may not work. Just seemed like a cheap way out from someone used to using redneck engineering.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Go to the local lumberyard and buy a 4 Ft long, 3/4 or 1 inch diameter wooden dowel. Should cost barely a dollar. Drill a hole in one end that will fit over the outside of the hosel... snugly. Trim the dowel to where it is comfortable. Take segments off a 1/2" at a time until you find the forrect length. Then, convert that length to what would be needed when you use the shaft that fits inside the hosel.

That's certainly not scientific and may not work. Just seemed like a cheap way out from someone used to using redneck engineering.

Sounds like a awesome idea and solution to me, and if you check my sig, you'll see I'm from the home of Redneck Engineering! If a roll of duct tape, some bailing wire and a 9/16 wrench can't fix it, nothing can. :D

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
ok, well deff not a belly putter, but I have a question for you guys... what do you think of using a youth putter? its really short, but I've wanted to try it for a while. I tried 50'' putters, belly putters, 34" 35", 6 diferent styles.... nothing feels good. It might look funny, but its legal. sorry to thread jack... input please.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
ok, well deff not a belly putter, but I have a question for you guys... what do you think of using a youth putter? its really short, but I've wanted to try it for a while. I tried 50'' putters, belly putters, 34" 35", 6 diferent styles.... nothing feels good. It might look funny, but its legal. sorry to thread jack... input please.

I played with a guy who used a youth putter. I got paired with him while I was at a course in Hilton Head. Yes, he did look ridiculous, but he also made more putts than I did.

My son has a youth set of Clevelands that are still too long for him. The putter is a mallet and I've goofed off with it and I can't make shit with it.

It does make sense to have your hands closer to the ball for more accuracy though.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I know he didn't use a youth putter, but Nicklaus bent way over and got down very close to the ball when he putted. And you know, he was a pretty decent golfer in his day! ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A guy i play with regularily had me cut his putter down to 27.5". He putts lights out with it. He's 5'11".

R35

the4hornes

May 6, 2008
I bought a Bionk 505 putter, a Apollo 53" stepless shaft, and a Karma Belly putter grip from Hireko for $26.84 shipped. I made it into a 41.5" belly putter just to try out. It has turned out to be a great experiment. Give it a try. I think you will be very pleased.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Through some horse trading I now possess a Nickent Pipe Putter, model PP/003, split Golf pride grip, set up at 43 inches. I can't wait to try it out on the course, just gotta get over that last round of chemo and this bronchitis. It feels and rolls great on the carpet so far. Between finally straightening out my driver woes, and the possibility of shaving a few strokes off my score putting, I'm excited about playing golf again, :D

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, it was WAY to windy today to play golf, to windy and cold. I did go down to the practice putting green to try out the new belly/sternum putter. Its either to long to be a belly putter, or to short to be a chest putter. Today I was trying it as both a belly and a sternum, switching back and forth. It doesn't seem to have enough weight to it to use as a broom stick, chest or sternum putter. It is definitely a different putting style, and will take quite a bit of getting used to. But the fact that I'm not bent over means I can actually put in the time needed to get used to it. It used ti kill my back to try and work on my putting with a normal/typical style putter. But it was so windy here today that even standing there trying to line up a putt, the wind was making me sway back and forth.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online