• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ben Hogan is the man

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I've been tinkering with my swing (actually I'm always tinkering my swing but that's another matter). Ben Hogan is right in almost every aspect of his book 5 Lessons. What I don't like is how he described the moment before impact by supinating the wrists. Actually, I start to supinate my wrists at the start of the downswing because everything goes so fast.

Starting the downswing with the hips and combining it with the left armpit cover that Vijay uses, I get pretty good result. Another thing is that I uncock the wrists quite early in the downswing (and not the casting motion). I never understood the teachers that advocate a late release/uncocking since it gives a steeper plane and ballstriking becomes erratic.

Anyways, these were my swing thoughts of the day :D

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Loop said:
I've been tinkering with my swing (actually I'm always tinkering my swing but that's another matter). Ben Hogan is right in almost every aspect of his book 5 Lessons. What I don't like is how he described the moment before impact by supinating the wrists. Actually, I start to supinate my wrists at the start of the downswing because everything goes so fast.

Starting the downswing with the hips and combining it with the left armpit cover that Vijay uses, I get pretty good result. Another thing is that I uncock the wrists quite early in the downswing (and not the casting motion). I never understood the teachers that advocate a late release/uncocking since it gives a steeper plane and ballstriking becomes erratic.

Anyways, these were my swing thoughts of the day :D

As everyone who is familiar with me on these boards knows - I am a huge Hogan fan.

His book has changed my game tremendously.

For some reason though - there is a very large perception among golfers that following Hogan's methods will cause you to fight a hook your entire career.

Interesting since Nicklaus called Hogan the greatest ball striker of all time.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Bravo said:
As everyone who is familiar with me on these boards knows - I am a huge Hogan fan.

His book has changed my game tremendously.

For some reason though - there is a very large perception among golfers that following Hogan's methods will cause you to fight a hook your entire career.

Interesting since Nicklaus called Hogan the greatest ball striker of all time.
I would think that the perception would be the opposite, B. Since Hogan fought a hook, his fundamentals were in essence promoting a fade? So, if you have a fade/slice anyway, Hogan may perhaps promote that?

Jack favored a fade, so he would, indeed like Hogan's ball-striking. But, if you read "Golf My Way", Jacks thoughts on the swing were mostly far from Hogan's, sometimes diametrically opposed. However, Jacks underlying current in the book was well summed in the title, and repeatedly interjected in the text. Basically that this was how HE hit the ball, what worked for HIM, and that no one type of swing will fit everyone. I agree.

Just thought I'd interject for no good reason. :)

🔥 Latest posts