• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ben Hogan Magnum Iron set

Lukas Meintjies

Jan 12, 2013
Country
South Africa South Africa
I received a set of Ben Hogan 'Copper' Irons, 3-9 Irons, SW and E, as a gift.
All graphite shafts. They like play a dream.
I don't know much about these clubs.
Any feedback on my "gift" would be appreciated. :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
What model? I believe Hogan released the Magnum series in BeCu.

As you will see from my sig, I play a set of BeCu irons. When Ping was manufacturing a BeCu irons, some other manufacturers also jumped on that bandwagon. Karsten (Ping) had significant metalurgy experience in the aerospace industry and used that knowledge to produce a quality product with a somewhat unique alloy. Some of the other manufacturers had issues with their alloy being too brittle and experienced some issues hosel breakage, etc. BeCu never had the brittle issues as did MacGregor when they attempted to build irons from a Manganese Bronze alloy.

BeCu irons, with patina build up, are beautiful. In your bag, they make great discussion starters at the course. Understand, if you damage/break/lose one, there is no replacing them. Some folks will clean up a set of BeCu irons and use them as display in a rec room. I play mine and enjoy them.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Limp, do your irons have a raw finish? I was just thinking they would look beautiful if you rubbed them down with metal polish.

I have old Titleist Bullseye putter that is made out of brass that I picked up for $2. When I bought it, it was so corroded that it was almost black. It looked like someone had been hitting rocks with it. I sanded on that for a week. Finally got it smooth and polished and wow, it looks like it's made out of solid gold. Fun project.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Limp, do your irons have a raw finish? I was just thinking they would look beautiful if you rubbed them down with metal polish.

I have old Titleist Bullseye putter that is made out of brass that I picked up for $2. When I bought it, it was so corroded that it was almost black. It looked like someone had been hitting rocks with it. I sanded on that for a week. Finally got it smooth and polished and wow, it looks like it's made out of solid gold. Fun project.
My BeCu irons are given permission to age, beautifully, just like my wife!! I've had a number of sets of BeCu irons over the years. Sometimes I've fallen victim to the "winter climbing the walls syndrome" and removed the patina with polish, metal cleaner, vinegar, soda pop... there are a number of things that will work. What I have left is a brilliant finish... with no character. Allowing the patina to build, provides a deeper finish. And, you can develop "wear spots" on the sweet spot that are quite noticable.

So, yes, mine have that "raw" finish.

Many of the manganese bronze putters, if they oxidize, would turn almost green. An old Bullseye can be polished to a mirror finish and be a beautiful piece. It will not oxidize nearly as quickly as BeCu and will remain "youthful looking" for many years.

Members online