• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ben Hogan Magnums

agpierce

Aug 25, 2009
Me again, with more mystery clubs lol!

Has anyone here ever had the privledge of using a set of Ben Hogan Magnum Irons? The clubs debuted in 1986 and were manufactured until 1988. They came into my possession via my father in law, and I couldn't be happier.

They were old and the grips had dry-rotted so I left them in the corner up until today when I finally went out to give them a try. My god, I've never been happier with a set of irons in my hand. Straight and true, and I'm finally getting the distance out of my irons like I'm supposed to, even out of heavy rough.

The crazy thing is, I can't find more than one or two mentions of them online. Have any of you guys ever used these little gems? What did you think of them if you did?

Looking forward to your feedback :D

-Aaron

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Hi,

I'm probably one of the biggest Hogan nuts here. I've owned at least 10 sets of Hogan irons. I currently own sets of:
Apex II
Apex (1998)
Edge CFT
Apex FTX
not to mention various Hogan wedges.

No offence intended, but IMHO, the various incarnations of the Hogan Magnums were the ugliest irons Hogan ever produced. I have never hit one, primarily because I thought I would never completely get the ugly off of me. :) Maybe they are like the fat girl who is a great dancer.

Still, they are a piece of Hogan history, and I congratulate you on finding and playing them. Did you replace the dry-rotted grips? Golfworks has the Hogan labeled Tour Velvets for a decent price if you are so inclined.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Never used the irons but I have a set of Ben Hogan Slot Line persimmon woods from the '60's in my closet.

OP
A

agpierce

Aug 25, 2009
There's no doubt about it, they're butt ugly, but my god these clubs hit like butter! I was hitting out of rough litterally twice and a half as high as my ball yesterday and it just barely hurt my distance. These irons cut right thought the grass!

Thanks for the tip on the Tour Velvets, SiberianDVM. I'll definitely be checking those out. And the eBay auction you sent is almost them. Mine are the regular ones, not the copper. I'm going to forever live in curiosity about the copper ones lol!

jgladfelter

Sep 29, 2009
Funny you have this post out here. I have been using these clubs since 1998 and love them. I still have them but am missing the 7 iron. Any help in finding a replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Gladfelter
Napa CA

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Funny you have this post out here. I have been using these clubs since 1998 and love them. I still have them but am missing the 7 iron. Any help in finding a replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Gladfelter
Napa CA

do an ebay search. sometimes single irons will show up there and in the ebay stores

this one looks a little rough but with a little cleaning......and the price is good. :)

Hogan Magnum 404 7 Iron Graphite Mens RH Golf Club - eBay (item 170357954184 end time Oct-11-09 12:57:03 PDT)

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
wow theres a blast from the past - i remember cleaning my share of hogan magnums in the bag room as a teenager - those things were ugly and a pain in the ass - i recall the cavities always filled with dirt so we had to clean both sides.

Eric

Dec 29, 2013
Country
My only set of irons for the past 12 or 13 years has been the wonderful, sharp-edged, beautiful, HOGAN MAGNUMS. I got the clubs from my dad when I was 12 or 13 when he won a new set of Pings in a tournament. My dad got my amazing HOGAN MAGNUMS from my his dad when I was a baby. My grandfather must not of liked the clubs, (I can only assume) but my dad liked them enough to golf with them for at least ten years. I had an opportunity to get my dad's newer Pings a few years ago and I didn't take it. I love my HOGAN MAGNUMS and I plan to use them until one of them breaks or I have a 12 year old son to give them to. I hope the latter happens first because they are the best clubs in the damn world and those who hate them just don't understand what it is to spend your life in the rough. -Eric

🔥 Latest posts