• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ben Hogan Magnums

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
My only set of irons for the past 12 or 13 years has been the wonderful, sharp-edged, beautiful, HOGAN MAGNUMS. I got the clubs from my dad when I was 12 or 13 when he won a new set of Pings in a tournament. My dad got my amazing HOGAN MAGNUMS from my his dad when I was a baby. My grandfather must not of liked the clubs, (I can only assume) but my dad liked them enough to golf with them for at least ten years. I had an opportunity to get my dad's newer Pings a few years ago and I didn't take it. I love my HOGAN MAGNUMS and I plan to use them until one of them breaks or I have a 12 year old son to give them to. I hope the latter happens first because they are the best clubs in the damn world and those who hate them just don't understand what it is to spend your life in the rough. -Eric
All I keep reading is "CLEVELAND NIBLCIK, CLEVELAND NIBLICK, CLEVELAND NIBLICK...."

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I have a set of Apex PC blades that are pretty fun to play. I bust them out from time to time to work on my ball striking. They were known as one of the most difficult blades to hit but I find them to be pretty easy.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I have a set of Apex PC blades that are pretty fun to play. I bust them out from time to time to work on my ball striking. They were known as one of the most difficult blades to hit but I find them to be pretty easy.
Hogan Apex, Redline, etc. forgings were some of the prettiest clubs ever produced. For some, they may have required a consist swing that the largest segment of we weekend hackers lack. Yet, when hit on the sweetspot, they were as soft and smooth as a baby's butt.
In about 1986, Hogan decided the move was to game improvement irons and they wanted some of that market. The Magnums were a disaster. Uuuuggglly! They were a cast stainless with an extremely thin face. The only word I can come up with to explain the feel is "brittle". You had to look at the clubface after each hit and make sure it wasn't cracked. They didn't crack, they just felt like it. The Magnums were only produced two years, '85 and '86. In 87, Hogan attempted to improve with the release of the Magnum Plus. That was a single year release. The Magnum line was such a disaster for Hogan, they dropped their attempt at marketing a cast line. Hogan began to have financial trouble and was picked up by Callaway.

gatorsgotyourgranny

Jul 13, 2014
Country
Hogan Magnums. I bought mine in 1986 brand new and paid top dollar for these irons 3-Pitching Wedge(E). I later bought a 2 iron to complete the set. I have played with them from 1986 until just recently. I looked at replacing these irons for years but I just did not like the way the new irons felt coming off the club face. People have quizically looked at these clubs in my bag for years and they were and are still great irons. I believe they were the first cavity ack iron made but I'm sure someone will correct me.
After several years, I have put these clubs into retirement and since they don't make them anymore and I haven't seen one in a lost and found rack in 28 years: I have a complete set and anyone that needs a replacement club I will be more than willing to offer at a very fair price. If you love these irons as much as I do, and you need to get your Magnums back to complete, lust let me know.

Andreww_76

Banned
Banned
Feb 10, 2022
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm no golfer but I found this blog while looking up a certain Hogan Magnum + No1 iron. I noticed many people find these items a vintage acquisition and I'm curious if anyone might be interested in purchasing. Regards
P.s. I didn't read this forum through completely, so not sure if it amy be any good.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
"I didn't read through this blog, not sure if it's any good, anyhow anyone wanna buy some stuff?"

That's you. That's what you sound like. And my blog ain't havin' it.

🔥 Latest posts