• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

bending a 5 to a 4?

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
what would that change in the clubs performance aside from the distance i would get... im thinking about getting the adams a3 set and get 2 5 irons instead of the hybrids and just bend one of the 5s to a 4 and putting a piece of lead tape on the bottom of the club so i could tell the difference does that make sense? like do i sound like a moron for suggesting that i do that?

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
you cant just buy a 4 iron? i understand that the normal set doesnt come with one, but i bet you can order one.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I was thinking about having my clubs bent, and the following is my only real concern...

Bending a 5 to a 4 would decrease the amout of bounce, I believe. If the face is 26* like many 5-irons are, and you bent it forward to 23* or more, it seems that you could decrease the bounce by the same 3* you decreased the loft. And likewise I believe that if you bent a club in the other direction, the reverse would happen.

Confirmation, gurus?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yup, and you need a good swing to hit with that amount of bounce, or a very flat angle of attack

ps the lead tape will do naff all apart from effect swingweight but unless you have the senses of a nat on speed you won't feel it

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not familiar with the clubs, are the forged? I would make sure someone will bend them 3* (or more) first. If they are cast, you would likely have a problem. It will also change the bounce, which I am only guessing that for a 5 iron that may not be as much of an issue but not fully sure. If you were trying to go the other way it may be more of an issue on bounce.

The final factor, which is likely the most important if they can be bent is the fact that loft seperation accounts for 80% of the distance gap, while shaft length accounts for 20%. So even if you have it bent to the same as a 4i, it will likely only make up for 80% of the gap. So you may likely have to have them bent a little more than just a 4i, or you could likely extend the shaft accordingly.

Seems kinda like a gamble, have you ever tried out a hybrid? May be a better option or simply go with a different branded 4i. Something tells me I would never have the same confidence in the club.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've had my entire set delofted 1.5* but they had bounce to spare. The 9 and PW were an 8 bounce to begin with. I've not noticed anything but a distance gain with the irons bent strong, perhaps a bit off offset added as I used to miss right but now not very often but I also changed my grip considerably and the actual face at adress. So, unfortunately you'll end up with a very low or no bounce 4iron and it would be offset as well if you dropped it 3* strong.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Most 9s and PWs are around that bounce Ez, but 1.5 down isn't that bad, but going down double that and you will notice, the club WILL dig in. I can really really churn up a big divot on bad swings, come in to steep and its diggo time. A wide sole will make all the difference, but a narrow soled blade bent 2 or more degrees and you need sound technique to cope.

I highly doubt any cast club can be bent 3 degrees anyway, even some forgings would struggle, the shyte forgings in Clevelands CMM couldn't cope thats for sure, and at the other end some are now so soft they would get knocked out quickly in summer. The fitter who did mine told me about some new Hogans that measure nearly all the same lofts and lies, they have 'merged' over time and when he went to re-do them he hardly needed any pressure, they just bent like butter, utter poop he called them

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've seen a lot of sets with specs of 3-4 bounce in the 8-9 irons. Bounce is good for me and good for the conditions I play. Down in FL the fairways were tight, my divots were not nearly as large and I tore it down to sand in a lot of places. Biggest problem I had with the irons down there was I over drawing or fading them, very easy to move it around off the FW lies down there. The rough was easily underestimated. I had no trouble with wedges but it shut the face on a few 5 and 6irons that went wayyy left.

I was surprised when I had mine bent. The guy bent my SW like nothing and it's cast but carbon makes it softer I guess? He said the Miura's were riculously easy and accidently bent the 6 from 30 to 26 and had to go back up. Now that you mention it the 5 has seemed a little harder to hit than before. It's a good gap for me now though, skipped right over the 4i with no real "question" of what club to go to at any yardage.

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
i would only put lead tape on the bottom so i could tell which is which. lol and the reason i asked is because i wanted to know if the less bounce would effect it that much cuz it is a longer iron... i figured there wouldnt be too much bounce to begin with... if that makes sense. and they are adams a3 irons. they are cast but they are amazing irons. you know the ones rory plays

Hmbre97

Jan 10, 2008
What's the typical cost to have a club bent? I'm toying with the idea of bending my 52 degree wedge down to a 50 or 49 and picking up a 56 degree wedge. My PW is 45 degrees and I want to narrow that gap some.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
What's the typical cost to have a club bent? I'm toying with the idea of bending my 52 degree wedge down to a 50 or 49 and picking up a 56 degree wedge. My PW is 45 degrees and I want to narrow that gap some.

I think I paid $3 last time. you might also want to consider going to 46 on the PW and 51 on the 52 - that way neither is that messed up

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
A wide sole and bounce is good for most players, don't presume its only for beginners, it isn't

Hmbre97

Jan 10, 2008
I think I paid $3 last time. you might also want to consider going to 46 on the PW and 51 on the 52 - that way neither is that messed up

Yeah, I'll probably wind up doing that instead so that way I don't loose much bounce on the wedge.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
they are cast but they are amazing irons.
You will likely have trouble finding anyone who will bend a cast iron 3-4*, if at all.
It is usually not a big issue to have them bent 2* specifically if they are forged, and is pretty common. Many web sites may actually tell you how far they recommend that you bend them. Based on my experience, many clubmakers will not even bend cast irons.

🔥 Latest posts