• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bending wedges

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I know a lot of people have their wedges bent to different lofts. Im thinking of bending my 60 to 58 and 56 to 54.

This would allow me to add another real "pitching" wedge and still keep my 3 wood and two hybrids. I could then drop the 52 gap wedge.

When I play my home course I drop the 5 iron and keep the 52 and the 49 wedge along with Driver, 3 wood, 3,4 hybrids, 6-pw, 49, 52, 56, 60 and putter.

My question after that novel is will the wedges play a lot different with their new lofts?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would imagine the most notable difference by going from 60 to 58 and 56 to 54 is that you will basically be subtracting about 2* of bounce from each in the process. So you probably need to consider how that will affect your game. Which may notably affect you sand game among other things. First question may be, what are the bounces, what kind of sand do you play in, do you currently have any trouble at all getting out of the sand if you play out of fluffy sand, do you tend to hit the ball fat at all where this could cause this to be more extreme on any poor results.

Where on the flip side, you could also see positive results on less bounce depending on the condition you play out of, and your swing tendencies.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
The bounce of my wedges are 56-12 and 60-6. The sand I play in normally isn't really all that fluffy.

I use the 60 out of the sand and have not had trouble out of the sand for around 6 months. My most common misses would be hitting too far behind the ball and not getting it completely out of the bunker or it ends up short of the flag.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
The bounce of my wedges are 56-12 and 60-6. The sand I play in normally isn't really all that fluffy.

I use the 60 out of the sand and have not had trouble out of the sand for around 6 months. My most common misses would be hitting too far behind the ball and not getting it completely out of the bunker or it ends up short of the flag.

Then a decrease in bounce shouldnt be a big deal at all. It might even help you. With the bending your 60 will play with 4* bounce, and your 56 at 10*.

If the sand that you play in was fluffy and soft, then it would be an issue.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Then a decrease in bounce shouldnt be a big deal at all. It might even help you. With the bending your 60 will play with 4* bounce, and your 56 at 10*.

If the sand that you play in was fluffy and soft, then it would be an issue.
That would probably be my thought as well, although if it were me and I had the opportunity, I would maybe see if I could find a friend that has a club with 10* bounce on a SW and try it out of the sand.

Hearing that your misses are short, or left in the bunker could very likely be the result of not having enough bounce already and/or the sand is fluffier than you may think? Where by opening up the clubface and exposing the bounce, it will keep the club from digging and make it harder to hit poor shots in regards to hitting to far behind the ball. In a normal scenario, if you hit to far behind, the club digs but the bounce keeps it from digging too much, the ball comes out but with little spin and rolls to the hole, where if you hit to close it will usually come out a little hotter and fly to the hole with more spin, and the spin will cause it to settle down. Basically gives alot of room for error. So by having them bent, I can't help but think the SW with 10* may not be the more logical choice now. Although it will also now be 54*, so hard to say. Just seems like if you have any trouble in the sand at all, and lean towards coming up short out of the traps, that 4* bounce seems really, really low for the sand. Where personally, it is not to say I don't like the idea of 4* for a LW, just not for any sand I have ever played outside of my home course, which is atrocious and gives true meaning to the word "Hazard".

What is the normal result out of your normal sand if you use the current SW? With too much bounce on sand that is firm, it would likely result in shot that you catch flush or even possibly bladed. Is that what happens, or do you simply prefer the LW?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
PA is definately on the right track
what are the greens like? small and elevated, large and flat?
how about the conditions around the green? tight hardpan? lush grass?

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I was about 10 feet to the pin in a green side bunker. Pulled the LW and I was forever hooked on opening it up and letting it go. I Havn't missed a sand save in a while. I'll use the current SW today and Ill drop a ball or two and see what happens.

The greens at my home course are rather large, lots of elevation change in them. Fairways and rough around the greens are lush in summer right now they are still getting there so they are a little spotty.

My attack is moderate. I wouldn't say its steep and I wouldn't say shallow. I make good contact and take divots in front of the ball.

I don't want to get rid of the TM's for a new 54 and 58 but if I have to so be it. Id rather try the bending but then I most likely won't be able to go back. Then when I get the P2's which will be TLT'd Ill need the 56 and 60 again. Im just torn between what to do.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The PW wlly be a sand iron, and after that a 52 and a 56 sand wedge is all you need, well all I need. I find the fascination with 4 wedges, bizarre. I play on a course where the need for one is nil, maybe on a links course in summer, but for pleb courses? nah, no need, speaking for myself.

🔥 Latest posts