• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best $10 Clubs You Ever Bought...

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
About five years ago, I bought a complete set of Wilson clubs for my wife, because she was going to start playing again ( hadn't played since she lived with her dad, who plays a lot ). For various reasons, those clubs gathered a lot of dust until earlier this summer, but now we've played a couple times this year, and hit the range more than a dozen times. As I mentioned somewhere else, she wound up stealing my TaylorMade Burner 3w and hitting it great, causing me to buy myself a Wishon 949MC ( I'm not heart-broken about it ;) ).

After seeing how well she hits the Burner, as well as a Nickent hybrid she borrowed, and how she struggled with her 3&4 irons, I decided to make things easier and replace them with something easier to hit. Light clubs with a low swingweight suit her much better. As you'd expect, I trolled eBay for a week or so. I didn't find any good deals on hybrids, which seem to hold their value pretty well, but I did wind up finding a fantastic deal on some fairways.

I bought 2 used Wishon 515GRT fairways ( 5 & 7 ) for $41 shipped(!). Also included was a no-name 7 wood that we have no use for. So that was about $14 per club. The Wishons are in fine shape, and have SK Fiber Pure Energy shafts of unknown flex ( I was told they are senior, but there's no marking ).

She hit them for the first time last night, and clobbered them. A little low, but that's normal. She was literally raving about them; how balanced they feel, and how they sit at address, and on and on. She asked if maybe I should find her a Wishon driver and some irons, too ;) I tried to explain that she hits them well because they're suited to her swing, not because of the name on the bottom, but I guess now I have another excuse to keep shopping for clubs. That was definitely the best $28 I ever spent on golf clubs.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Good job.

Last year my GF decided she wanted to learn to play golf. I really don't think she realized how hard it would be to learn, but she tries, and she has gotten better. She played 18 full holes last weekend for the first time. :) Then she had the nerve to ask me: Did I break a hundred? Er, no, dear. Not even if we don't count the mulligans and whiffs. :D

Needless to say, I was the one recruited to find and buy all of her gear. Since I knew golf would be a minor thing for her, I went budget.

Set of used ladies flex graphite shafted Acer wide sole irons from Global Golf, 5-PW: $25 These things are SO super easy to hit, it's almost laughable. Why am I not playing them?

Used Mizuno 14° TAVA driver with L flex shaft from Global Golf: $30

Matching Acer wide sole SW head and L flex graphite shaft from Hireko: $18

Older Tour Edge 22° 7 wood head that I wasn't using, new L flex shaft: $10

My misbehaving Yes! Tracy putter. She likes it.

Extensions for the irons, as she is 5'8" and has a 36" wrist to floor: $20

New grips: I had mistakenly bought .600" New Decades for me and they were too small; just right for her.

Ben Hogan superlight bag: $40

FootJoys: $40

I have a spare 17° Titleist fairway head that I'm saving to reshaft for her, if she ever learns how to hit with more power. Any suggestions? Her best driver shots only go about 150 yards?

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
SiberianDVM said:
I have a spare 17° Titleist fairway head that I'm saving to reshaft
for her, if she ever learns how to hit with more power. Any
suggestions? Her best driver shots only go about 150 yards?

Not really, she doesn't have a problem with distance normally. She's really strong for being little from years of teaching martial arts and now boxing. She can do more pullups than almost any guy in her gym, apparently. 'Course, it's a little easier when you're only pulling up ~100 pounds. ;)

I don't have her hitting a driver at all right now. She doesn't have the speed to hit anything flatter than maybe 14*, so the 15* Burner is pretty close to that limit. Her misses ( which would be 'the Mrs misses' ;) ) are all blocks dead right when she fails to square the head at all, even with a tiny 180cc 3 wood. This doesn't happen with the new, even smaller, fairways, though.

Her swing is a little weird ( heck, so is mine ), but she can do some strange things, like take the club to the top, stop, stay there while having a conversation, and then swing just like normal. The most recent break-through was when I got her to finish the swing with her shoulders perpendicular to the target line, instead of keeping them parallel. That made the whole thing a lot more fluid and less arm-y, and added some distance.

The best drill is just to give her a 7 iron, and have her take it back to waist-high, and concentrate on nothing but putting the clubface square on the bottom half of the ball.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Here a while back I was ho'ing some left handed clubs for a freind of mine wanting to take up golf. I thought I was ordering him a LH 5 wood when I ordered a Hippo Pro XL 21º 5 wood. Turns out the ad said RH plain as day, so I was stuck with it. Finally after a few weeks I took it out on the course one day and was extremely suprised. It sounds just like a Tee cb1 and the ball literally jumps off the face like a Tee. The best $15.99 I ever accidentily spent. The shaft is a POS but that will be corrected next week, :D

jreed

Oct 27, 2006
Just got a nearly new Hogan Edge CFT 4 hybrid off of ebay for $9.99. Have been looking for one at the right price...and 9.99 is great!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I just started out many many years ago I found a McGregor Jack Nicklaus Miurfield 2-iron with a full cord grip. Bought it and hit the snot out of it. Then when I got better with my other clubs I couldn't hit that anymore so sold it or gave it away. Wished I still had it just for fun. :)

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
I have 2 10 dollars clubs in my bag :D

recently found my Vortex 3 wood, hit it great, slapped a grip on it and threw it into my bag.

Also my Wilson Staff 60* was bought for $15 and I cant take it out of my bag

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
My woods were not $10, but rather $30 each.

But if I have a good swing I can get 240 yards out of hte 3 wood no problem.

🔥 Latest posts