• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Beer Post #2

Apr 16, 2007
Peroni
Budvar
Stella Artios
Heineken
Stiegl

Like my beers to be well defined and full. Not a great fan of the more fruity, Spanish style jobs (eg. Corona, Sol, Desperados).

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
What is a good "malty" beer without alot of bitterness (which I hate)? :)
2 of the ones I mentioned:
Spaten Oktoberfest
Theakston's Old Peculiar
Meet that catagory. The Oktoberfest obviously only found around October is more of a sweeter Malt flavor. I actually find alot of the darker German Beers to meet this category for which you mentioned.

Theakston's Old Peculiar may be my favorite beer, but is not cheap so I only treat myself to it ever now and then.

Another that you may like if available is Lake Placid Brewery - UBU Ale.

Otherwise look at alot of the chocolate Porters. Wheat beers fit into that as well, but I just cannot stand wheat beer. An American one Hefeweizen is supposed to be good in that catagory. Add a twist of Lemon to this, as lime may be to bitter for your taste. To me, wheat beer tastes like pure sewage.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
What is a good "malty" beer without alot of bitterness (which I hate)? :)

Try a New Amsterdam. It's a semi-microbrew out of NY. Nice and malty, but smooth.

My standard list remains unchanged, tho...

All around: Stella
Winter: Black & Tan (Guinness/Bass)
Summer: Sol (not Del Sol)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Since we're talking beer, I thought I'd just give a plug to my adopted hometown of Burlington, VT... #4 in the world for best places to drink beer as mentionned by some senseless MSNBC poll.

Top 10 cities for beer lovers - Fall Travel - MSNBC.com

1. Amsterdam
2. Berlin
3. Brugge
4. Burlington, VT
5. Dublin
6. Mexico City
7. Montreal
8. Portland, OR
9. Prague
10. Sapparo

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Oh no, the people of PA will be sad to find that the entire beer drinking Universe does not revolve around them. They will likely use the excuse that is spread out over the entire state, and the poll is just for certain cities.:laugh:

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Probably shouldn't be posting this but you guys wont tell. Probably regualr bud I cant stand any of that light crap.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Spaten Oktoberfest
Theakston's Old Peculiar
Stoudt's American Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada IPA
Guinness

Not available in my area but may be my favorites if it were:
New Belgium Fat Tire
and I will add Shiner Bock to the list after my recent trip to Houston. I actually liked it better than Fat Tire side by side.

My local staple that is acceptable and probably the lightest I will drink and darkest my wife will drink.
Yuengling Lager

i second the yuengling... its very easy to find too... :)

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Sierra Nevada IPA, Pale Ale, Porter, "Summer Fest"
Guiness
Sam Adams is ok
Mexican beers are ok I guess, Negra Modelo is good.

Hitman

Apr 8, 2007
Being in Germany I get to try a lot of diffrent beers, and go to a lot of beer fest. Been to Oktoberfest twice. Some good german beers that you can find in the states are Warsteiner, Grolsch, and Löwenbräu of course since they are imported into the U.S. they arn't the same as the Beer you get here in Germany.

When I get home I will post some pictures of my Beer adventures here in Europe.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
i second the yuengling... its very easy to find too... :)
Usually anywhere East of the Mississippi River. It and the Stoudts are likely the only two Popular PA brewed beers that I can think of that I like, and I believe the Stoudts may be brewed in MD now. Philadelphia and Brooklyn Lagers are other good ones to try if you like Yuengling.

For those not familiar with it, Yuengling is in fact Americas Oldest Brewery since 1829. Although not my favorite, it is likely the beer I drink the most, as it is easily found and most place have it on tap. Plus it is about 1/2 the price of most of the beer I prefer over it, and it is also my Wifes favorite beer so we can easily agree when we pick some up on the course.

Beer is a little expensive in PA, so Yuengling is only about $17-19 a case, where any of the others I mentioned on my list are $35-45.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Mexican beers are ok I guess, Negra Modelo is good.
Not a big fan of Mexican Beers. I can stomach Dos Equis XX Dark. I did try Negra Modelo Dark for the first time last year, and it is the only Mexican beer I can really say I enjoy, and almost made my list. Certainly the first I ask for at a Mexican Restaurant, which is probably one of my favorite foods. Even pick up a case of it here and there, as I like variety.

This may be another you might like WBL

🔥 Latest posts