• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best course in the World - Opinions...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,798
1,080
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Anyone out there have an absolute fave when it comes to courses? Something they'd give up their dog to play? (well, not literally....)

I'm interested to hear what's out there for thoughts.

Remember, the world's your oyster on this one. Any continent, any course.

"Yours is the world, and everything that is in it,
And what's more, you'll be a man, my Son!"
-Rudyard Kipling

R35
 

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
2,734
11
well rock this thread fizzled out a bit, but i think at least once i'd like to play bethpage black, pebble beach, and st. andrews
 

onetime

Well-Known Member
Sep 8, 2004
16
0
Probably Augusta National or Pine Valley. I played Bethpage black before the renovation and it was tough then. Pebble Beach I would be too concerned with the Marine cover burning off (been there and while I wasn't playing it the morning was covered, burned off by 10, but came back in by 1:30 and was covered the rest of the day. I would have been pissed if I spent $400 for that).
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
I am voting for Augusta National. Part of the reason is that I have been to the tournament several times and would like to experience it myself.

I got very very close to playing Pine Valley once. Hope I get a chance again sometime....
 

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
94
0
Fave course

This may sound fickle and stupid--okay, it does--but I still say that my favorite course is the one I haven't played. If it has a semblance of a fairway--and that's negotiable--and a surface with a hole in it that is capable of being putted on, I'll try it. Truthfully, I've had more fun golfing on some terrible cow pastures than on the best courses (Inverness, Muirfield Village, Pinehurst #2) I've played. Okay, it's not a lot of fun if the ball absolutely won't roll straight on the greens, but beyond that point, it's all good.

In that vein, however, places I want to play include St. Andrews, Carnoustie, etc. I would have said Shinnecock, but I'd have to find a set of tees that play to 6500 yards or less. Wouldn't be too much fun playing a course with about 8 par 5s and still par of 70. Plenty of humility practice, but not much fun. FUN are the shorter courses (like the White course at Greenbriar) with lots of interesting holes. It's not all about bombing it there, and you definitely hit every stick in the bag.
 
OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,798
1,080
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #6
Here's one I think everyone here would enjoy. It's in the Canadian Rockies.

Greywolf.

http://www.greywolfgolf.com/

Enjoy the views, boys......wow...

R35
#6greywolf.jpg
11greywolf.jpg
15greywolf.jpg
16greywolf.jpg
 
OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,798
1,080
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #9
Never played it. I've only played one round in BC my whole life. Shot two over. Nice course too. Just outside Trail.

I'm sure all of that means alot to you guys....lol.

There's another course called Predator Ridge. It's a 27 hole beauty too.

Prices range between 70 and 120 CDN, depending on time of year. But you get a cart.

So, overall, not bad.

R35
 

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,542
4,976
I've been fairly blessed in that I've had the opportunity to play the following in my illustrious life to date.

Shinnecock Hills, LI, NY
National Golf Links of America, LI, NY
Country Club, Brookline, MA
Kings North, Myrtle Beach, SC
Royal Co. Down, Northern Ireland
Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland
Royal Dublin, Ireland
Portmarnock, Ireland
Co. Louth, Ireland
Royal Dornoch, Scotland
Carnoustie, Scotland
Turnberry, Scotland
Gleneagles (Kings), Scotland
St. Andrews (Old, New, Jubilee, Eden)
Muirfield, Scotland
The Belfry, England
Rosses Point, Co. Sligo
Valderama, Spain
Val De Lobo, Portugal

btw I've also played a lot of ****ty courses as well.

I would love to play: Augusta National, The K Club (Ireland), TPC Sawgass, Whistling Straits, Doonbeg (Ireland), Celtic Manor (Wales) and probably some others I haven't thought of yet. Some day, eh?
 

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
94
0
"Which is nice"

Love the new avatar, Irish. Keep up the good work. :groupwave
 

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
1,388
0
jc@bg said:
Love the new avatar, Irish. Keep up the good work. :groupwave

You gettin a backhander from Black Bush on the golf classic Irish ? sporting their avatar is only the start of it ....... ;)
 

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,542
4,976
BushWhacker

Dave Ireland said:
You gettin a backhander from Black Bush on the golf classic Irish ? sporting their avatar is only the start of it ....... ;)

Right Dave,

What's the craic? (I have yet to write the Shannon tale, nuff said that we got tanked in the final by the Lucan dudes - had a great time though and Shannon is some course. A terror of a finish, last 4 holes!!)

Every Northerner gets a Bush logo tattooed on their brain from birth. I don't even like the stuff, but I just gotta drink it.

btw all playas get minitures of BB on 1st tee of the Classic. It helps when you have to go deep into the bag during a bad round. Better than pulling out a 1 iron I can tell ya. ;)
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
IrishGolfer said:
I've been fairly blessed in that I've had the opportunity to play the following in my illustrious life to date.

Shinnecock Hills, LI, NY
National Golf Links of America, LI, NY
Country Club, Brookline, MA
Kings North, Myrtle Beach, SC
Royal Co. Down, Northern Ireland
Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland
Royal Dublin, Ireland
Portmarnock, Ireland
Co. Louth, Ireland
Royal Dornoch, Scotland
Carnoustie, Scotland
Turnberry, Scotland
Gleneagles (Kings), Scotland
St. Andrews (Old, New, Jubilee, Eden)
Muirfield, Scotland
The Belfry, England
Rosses Point, Co. Sligo
Valderama, Spain
Val De Lobo, Portugal

btw I've also played a lot of ****ty courses as well.

I would love to play: Augusta National, The K Club (Ireland), TPC Sawgass, Whistling Straits, Doonbeg (Ireland), Celtic Manor (Wales) and probably some others I haven't thought of yet. Some day, eh?

That is a truly extraordinary list.

What are your top 3 from the list and why?
 

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
1,388
0
IrishGolfer said:
Right Dave,

What's the craic? (I have yet to write the Shannon tale, nuff said that we got tanked in the final by the Lucan dudes - had a great time though and Shannon is some course. A terror of a finish, last 4 holes!!)

Every Northerner gets a Bush logo tattooed on their brain from birth. I don't even like the stuff, but I just gotta drink it.

btw all playas get minitures of BB on 1st tee of the Classic. It helps when you have to go deep into the bag during a bad round. Better than pulling out a 1 iron I can tell ya. ;)

LOL ....Howya Boss, yeah I responded to your swing movie thread re the Junior Cup 4-1 Lucan eh? well as I say congrats on getting to final anyways. Now if Bulmers were to supply ya with a few bottles on the 1# tee..... Hmmmmm

Me and shorts don't go together ... hasta be in a pint glass with a head. Weather conditions tuff in Shannon ?, blew a gale here last weekend ....guess where I played ? ..... Beaverstown !!, right on the Donabate estuary ....the stateside guys would've had some serious expectations if I hadda posted pics from Beaverstown :d . it was a semi serious team classic so circumstances didn't allow for pics.

btw .... yerself and Bravo were making contact last Friday week .. you might've noticed that you had 3 missed calls on yer mobile and an office dolly might've let you know of another missed call . twas me !!! , so much for mobile phones, catch ya soon


oooooops in reply to thread

Augusta, TPC Sawgrass, Valderama (heard it was a right let down), Pebble Beach and a trot around Portstewart ;)
 

🔥 Latest posts

Top