• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best day ever!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I had a great day yesterday, took my 12 year old golfing. He's playing off 23 h/c and hits it ~160 yds. If he keeps it up he's going to be a great little playa!! We played our championship track, the first time he has played the full 18. We didn't really keep score, we were just out for a fun day. But he hit lots of great shots, including a chip in.

One problem was three visitors out ahead of us. One guy walking and the others in a cart, they were from the US. They had a blast (all over the place) and basically held us up the whole way round, so we were pretty much waiting on every hole. I expected them to wave us through, but sadly no. I took the day off, it was sunny so we were not in any real hurry, still it would have been nice to have been waved through.

They were friendly and kept shouting back compliments to my son on shots he was playing. Then on the 14th tee, one of them shouted over as we were putting on the adjacent 13th green "a gift for you". He left something on the tee. Turns out it was a sleeve of ProV1x balls.

We met them afterwards and thanked him, turns out he works for Titleist. He was full of compliments to my son, reckons he's the next Rory! And then to my total surprise my son gave the guy a Portstewart Crested ball he had in his bag. The guy was really amazed ( so was I!) and thanked him.

After our round I bought my son a Titleist shirt in our pro shop (I have a ton of shop credit!) and we then had lunch. When we got home I cut down some Adams Watson wedges I had lying around and put new grips on for him.

To make his day complete our neighbor won a golf tournament recently. The prize was a golf carry bag. She uses a cart bag and it was blue and white so she didn't like the colors and she said she didn't want it, so she gifted it to him. So he really cleaned up yesterday.

He hugged me going to bed last night and said it was the best day ever!! Boy, wish I was 12 again.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I love hearing that, IG. There is no place I would rather be than on the course with my boys. They make life worth living.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Only downside is my oldest boy, he's 14. Got a swing as graceful as Adam Scott but just can't be bothered with golf. He's got a summer job and is into skateboards. Last thing I want to do is force golf down his throat but feel like he has massive talent which is going to be wasted. He's not really that competitive about anything. I need to figure out a way to spend some time with him now. All kids are different, right? And my 6 year old, he's a totally different story...

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
This a cool read mate.
Yeah I'm in the same boat with my 6yr old girl.
Trying to get her into some form of team sports next year but it seems there nothing she likes playing yet.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Only downside is my oldest boy, he's 14. Got a swing as graceful as Adam Scott but just can't be bothered with golf. He's got a summer job and is into skateboards. Last thing I want to do is force golf down his throat but feel like he has massive talent which is going to be wasted. He's not really that competitive about anything. I need to figure out a way to spend some time with him now. All kids are different, right? And my 6 year old, he's a totally different story...
Don't despair IG. It's always good for a kid to have a couple of sports. Skateboarding is good for his core, rotation and balance. All helpful for that inevitable day when you superglue a golf club in his hands.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.