• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best drivers of 2021!

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So, in reading Gold Digest's VOL.72 issue 2 2021, I came across the, "The Best Drivers of 2021" article. I came to realize that 9 of the 14 new driver reviewed talk about faster ball speed, and more face flex to some degree. Are these reviews and articles written for the simpletons and less than weekend golfers, that don't know that there are limitations on how fast a ball can rebound off of the face, and how much a club face can flex or trampoline effect? How is it that even with the USGA limitations and rules, that the manufacturers somehow keep getting more flex and faster ball speed year after year. Was Taylor Made golf the only ones to figure out how to get to the limit and then have to use "speed foam" to dial it back? Are these other companies still trying to reach the allowable limit, but still increasing face flex? Srixon says with the ZX7 driver, "makes the face flex more by changing the stiffness around the face". PXG says, "fast-flexing titanium-alloy face for better ball speed and lower spin". Cleveland totes with the Launcher Turbo, "creates a larger trampoline for extra spring on mis-hits". Homna says for the T//World GS driver, "titanium's superior stiffness concentrates more flexing in the face". With PXG's 0211, "all the features for faster ball speed, less spin and full-face forgiveness". Tour Edge Exotics, "this pattern expands the area of the face with the hottest ball speed for more distance on mis-hits". We should know that each company's product will have different characteristics, ie. high launch, less spin, more spin, draw bias, lighter weight etc. etc. Just as each shaft has it's own pros/ cons. less flex, more spin, high launch, low torque... And while each company wants to sell as many of their latest and greatest product, and absolutely there is an ideal product for each of us. But, there needs to be more information out there and more awareness about proper fittings. Not just "hey, our product is better than theirs, ours is faster, ours has more face flex...". To many people go out and spend $400 or more on a new driver because the add said its longer (chick dig the long ball). But then they get to the course and hit it like garbage and get discouraged and then quit. We need better education on golf mechanics and equipment, and what our bodies can do. What are YOUR physical strengths and limitations? What can you and can't you do? So many people think to hit it farther they just have to swing harder. But when they do, they loose efficiency. Its great to see a student swing easier, make better contact, and hit the ball farther and more accurate. I guess I just needed to vent. I don't believe that any driver per-say is longer than another. It's what fits the golfer's swing the best and the proper shaft that yields the result of longer. If you like the look and the weight and feel at impact of a certain driver, cool. If two drivers have the same characteristics (not off set, same loft, aprox. same weight) just getting a new one aint gonna hit it farther. Maybe you keep the same head you've had for 5 years, and get the right shaft for you and pick up 15 yards. Maybe its the right shaft, but the head is to light and you loose control of it. I guess what I saying is yeah, new equipment comes out daily, but just cause it's new, don't mean it's longer, faster, or more flexy. GO GET FIT!

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Opinion from a feeble old mind... Since the .830 COR USGA rule, there's not much change except for marketing mumbo-jumbo. Some minor design changes... like Callaway's Jailbird pins... might have some effect. Still, all the marketing about trampoline effect can't vary that much without exceeding the COR limit, can they?
They've moved weight around. They've added movable weights. Those things can change how a driver reacts in a specific player's hands.
The changes, over the past few years, have been more in shafts than in clubheads... again in my opinion. Find the right shaft for your swing and you can rock most any driver head you pair with it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So, in reading Gold Digest's VOL.72 issue 2 2021, I came across the, "The Best Drivers of 2021" article. I came to realize that 9 of the 14 new driver reviewed talk about faster ball speed, and more face flex to some degree. Are these reviews and articles written for the simpletons and less than weekend golfers, that don't know that there are limitations on how fast a ball can rebound off of the face, and how much a club face can flex or trampoline effect? How is it that even with the USGA limitations and rules, that the manufacturers somehow keep getting more flex and faster ball speed year after year. Was Taylor Made golf the only ones to figure out how to get to the limit and then have to use "speed foam" to dial it back? Are these other companies still trying to reach the allowable limit, but still increasing face flex? Srixon says with the ZX7 driver, "makes the face flex more by changing the stiffness around the face". PXG says, "fast-flexing titanium-alloy face for better ball speed and lower spin". Cleveland totes with the Launcher Turbo, "creates a larger trampoline for extra spring on mis-hits". Homna says for the T//World GS driver, "titanium's superior stiffness concentrates more flexing in the face". With PXG's 0211, "all the features for faster ball speed, less spin and full-face forgiveness". Tour Edge Exotics, "this pattern expands the area of the face with the hottest ball speed for more distance on mis-hits". We should know that each company's product will have different characteristics, ie. high launch, less spin, more spin, draw bias, lighter weight etc. etc. Just as each shaft has it's own pros/ cons. less flex, more spin, high launch, low torque... And while each company wants to sell as many of their latest and greatest product, and absolutely there is an ideal product for each of us. But, there needs to be more information out there and more awareness about proper fittings. Not just "hey, our product is better than theirs, ours is faster, ours has more face flex...". To many people go out and spend $400 or more on a new driver because the add said its longer (chick dig the long ball). But then they get to the course and hit it like garbage and get discouraged and then quit. We need better education on golf mechanics and equipment, and what our bodies can do. What are YOUR physical strengths and limitations? What can you and can't you do? So many people think to hit it farther they just have to swing harder. But when they do, they loose efficiency. Its great to see a student swing easier, make better contact, and hit the ball farther and more accurate. I guess I just needed to vent. I don't believe that any driver per-say is longer than another. It's what fits the golfer's swing the best and the proper shaft that yields the result of longer. If you like the look and the weight and feel at impact of a certain driver, cool. If two drivers have the same characteristics (not off set, same loft, aprox. same weight) just getting a new one aint gonna hit it farther. Maybe you keep the same head you've had for 5 years, and get the right shaft for you and pick up 15 yards. Maybe its the right shaft, but the head is to light and you loose control of it. I guess what I saying is yeah, new equipment comes out daily, but just cause it's new, don't mean it's longer, faster, or more flexy. GO GET FIT!

I think you caught up to Limp in word count total in one post! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

🔥 Latest posts