• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

BEST experiences in your golfing life

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Mine would be during a scramble tournament teamed up with our "Corporate President and COO" (company's #2 guy) and two other "peons" like me. This guy is a multi-millionaire and has now retired at a mansion at Myrtle Beach. Anyway, I hit the longest drive of anyone in our group (on a 605 yard par 5) helping us birdie it but that isn't the top shot I made.

The top shot was on a sharp dogleg par 4 where we had the ball on the edge of a trap at the corner in rough, 100 yards in to the green, which was rolling and had the pin up high. Everyone hit their shot and I was last. I caught the PW perfectly, landed it slightly hot on the front and rolled down and curved left and then right 40 feet into the hole for an eagle!! The VP gave me a big high five, hopping around like a little kid and we won the tourney. And I made super browny points with the company's top dogs that has held on to this day. This had a much greater "impact" on my life ($$$$) then my ace ever would. :D

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Got out of car at my club after work, ran to catch a 3some that was making the turn, stumbled onto the 10th tee and after introductions made my first swing of the day and made a 1.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
i played in an interclub match the other day and got a 7 and a 8 on 6 & 7(finished the front with a terrible 47) , after 7 i proceeded to hit the next nine GIRs and shot a 37 on the back (with a 4 putt on #10) for a below average but still slightly respectable 84.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
The best day of my golfing life would have to be the day I hit the ball straight 72 times in a row. :)

But in all seriousness, it would have to be my chip-in at the par-5 6th hole at The Willows. Short par 5. Good drive, 3 wood into the trap, and got the ball into the cup for an eagle out of the sand. About a month ago. Got me 6 skins, so, yeah.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
Here are a few (I promise!):

1. Being down four down with six to play, losing one hole, and still winning on the twenty-third hole in sudden death against a former governor of Louisiana's son. Won a set of Spalding Topflite irons for winning the first flight.

2. Teaming with legendary Shirley Picard to shoot 11 under par in a nine hole scramble.

3. Being on leave from the military, and shooting a 32 on the back nine with my dad with a double bogie.

4. Being in a sudden death play-off with three other guys. They hit good drives on the first hole, a par four. I then drove the green and made the eagle putt. I walked in and everyone said I would have better luck next time. I said I eagled and won the playoff, and everyone got a great laugh thinking I was joking. I went along with this and when the guys came in to say who had finished second, I got a real good laugh myself.

There are others, but I promised. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Uh, a few would probly be our local ski hill that we belong to (my sis and I skiied for them) has a scramble tourney every year, my group has won it 2 straight years now shooting -12 and -16 (the lowest handicap next to me in the group is a 12:p, they actually made rules limiting the amount of stroke I can count for this fall because im the best player there by about 5-6 strokes:D).

My fav would be in a local match play event I had a terrible front nine and was 8 down at the turn, ended up shooting 33 on the backside and taking the match 1 up:D

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Nothing great, but last week I did find a quarter on the green. That was pretty cool.

No aces or promotions.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Nothing great, but last week I did find a quarter on the green. That was pretty cool.

No aces or promotions.

Didn't I see you in the movie Happy Gilmore? :laugh:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Next to my ace on Christmas Eve of last year, I maybe had my second most memorable hole yesterday, and was actually almost as exciting for me as the ace. I have 7 prior eagles in my life, but all on 2 short reachable pars 4's. Four came on the 8th hole my home course here, and three on the 1st hole on my old home course.

I am not a terribly long or accurate hitter, so while I have been just short, left, right, and even over a few par 5's, I have only managed to stop the ball on one in two on one occasion. Then got so hyped that I preceded to 3 putt from about 15 feet.

Playing yesterday, we get to ten and I had probably my second best drive I have ever had on that hole, a dogleg right par 5. This is realistically the only par 5 on my course that I can reach in 2, and have been over on one other occasion. I had about a 210-215 yard uphill shot with 2 trees directly between me and the hole trouble on the right and my only consistent shot in my bag being a pronounced draw. We were playing a better ball foursome, and I confirmed with the guy keeping score who laid up and was looking at a likely par if not a birdie that we were only using one score on the back. Plus our wives were likely in good shape as well, although we tend to use our scores on par 5's alot. I figured what the heck. Hit a great looking draw around the trees and over the trouble on the right prior to coming back into play. Afterwards I said if it didn't catch the edge of the trap protecting the right front of the green, it should be decent shot and may have a chance even rolling up on the green.

Pulled up the hill and it is sitting 3 inches on the front of the green, and leaving me a 25-30 foot breaking putt for eagle. Hit the putt, and said there was no way this putt would come up short. Thing hit the back of the cup, popped up slightly in the air and fell straight in for eagle.

Although we did win our competition between 3 foursomes by only one stroke, everyone on our team contributed pretty evenly yesterday and if not for that hole, I may have likely contributed the least on only a few holes and tying the better ball on a few more, and would have felt bad had we lost the match.

Seems like my most memorable shots and holes are going to happen on holidays, so I will need to be sure to play on them every chance I get.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Mine would be when I played in our interclub Ryder Cup-type competition. I was an 8 index playing alongside a scratch. We won 5&4 and I won four holes outright and tied two others.

That was real pressure.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
My best was last month when I chipped in for birdie on the last hole to win my flight by 1 stroke. :D

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
My best experience in my golfing life doesn't really have anything to do with a great round or great shot, although I've had some memorable ones.

My father retired back to the little resort town in western Michigan that I grew up in. He took up golf late in his life and didn't play much until he retired and was in not the best health. He loved to play though and the times I was on the course with him were always great.

He had several buddies there who were golf nuts and they nominated him for membership in a fairly exclusive "golf only" club there. He didn't have the money to join and my mom told me he was pretty disappointed. So I found out how much the membership cost and paid for it myself. I did that for the next 5 or 6 years he was alive as a christmas present.

My best moment came when I visited them that first summer. I played that course with my dad and two of his buddies in a two-ball match. I don't remember whether we won or lost but I do remember my dad hitting a shot to about 3 feet on one of the par 3's and sinking the putt for us to win the hole. The smile on his face was priceless and I'll never forget it.

Lefty11

Jul 12, 2005
Watching my Bro-In-Law knock in a Hole-in-one.....

I may have been more excited then he was.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
My best experience in my golfing life doesn't really have anything to do with a great round or great shot

Totally agree - probably my most enjoyable round to date was a year ago as yesterday down in Florida on a course where I hit a totally forgettable score, lost more balls in the water than I care to count, and generally put in my worst round for a good 2 months that I took 3 or 4 more rounds to shake off. But it was the first time I'd gone out and played with my brother-in-law, and the first time I'd ever spent any time with him at all since moving over to the US and getting married. Turned out we got on like a house on fire and had an absolute blast, and have been great friends ever since. After the round we went back to their complex and hung out in the pool, I got to chat to my 'new' neice (who's barely 5 years younger than me!) and get to know her, and then we went back and had a BBQ and watched the 4th July fireworks together with my wife's other sister who also lived down there.

Other good experiences include the first time I broke 100, the first time I ever chipped in, the first time I ever got a ball to back up on the green, and the 205yd 7 wood I hit off the tee the other week when I played with Greydawg that ended up within 5ft of the hole on a par 3!

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
1. Holing out a 40 yard pitch for eagle on the first hole of a scramble tournament. I was playing with our COO and CFO.

2. Chipping in for birdie to win 8 skins on the 9th hole.

3. Playing an 8 hour round in the howling, driving rain at Bandon Dunes.

4. Breaking 90 for the first time.

Members online

No members online now.