• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

best golf balls for the price

americanfighter

Sep 21, 2008
What do you think are the best golf balls for the price.

I play the
NXT Tour and Extreme
Top flight gammer.

I think the gamers have to be the best ball for the price although I like the NXT tours the best and play the extremes for longer holes because they go far and I can stop it on a hop you cant beat the 20 dollar per dozen price tag for a 3 piece ball.

what do you play and think is the bet deal.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Titleist ProV1x for $24 per dozen used at lostgolfballs.com AAAAA, MINT condition of course.

The best balls in the game for the price of "decent" balls new? No brainer for me.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Don't waste your money on crappy balls. The only decent balls are $40+.

I'm kidding, by the way. I had a conversation about that earlier today, actually. An idiot that I could outscore with a 7 iron and a lob wedge told me this.

I haven't had good luck with the really cheap balls, though. I like nike Powersofts okay and my fav is the e6+.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Noodle+ Long and Soft are good balls IMHO. :)

That's my cheap ball of choice after trying just about everything (this weekend). :D

ProV1's are good if you swing like a gorilla (like MIKE1218)... :D

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I've been after the good cheap ball for a long time. I've tried alot of balls in the $20 to $30 price range and I gotta say nothing comes close to a premium ball.

Perhaps you can find premium balls on clearance or as last year's model.

The best cheap ball I have ever found was the Nike TA2spin. I bought 6 dozen of them on clearance at Golfsmith for $14 a dozen. I believe that ball was a relabled Nike One Black. I'm down to about 9 of these balls left. These balls play just like a ProV1.

If you are a single digit handicap you need a good ball. You can tell the difference. When I was first starting out it wouldn't have mattered if I was using range balls.

I am considering trying a box of Gamers the next time I buy balls.

The most important thing you can do though is pick a ball, any ball, and stick with it and get to know what that ball does, how far it goes, how much it spins from the fairway, how little it spins out of the rough etc.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just play the ones I find. I've found 7 ProV's and B330S over the last 3 rounds. Helps that I don't lose them very often anymore too. One of the courses I play has huge environmental hazards to carry. They are pretty dry right now and there are ton of balls just a few feet into them in the long grass. Plus I pick up others peoples balls all the time.
icon12.gif
Just kidding, that's got to be the #1 "piss me off" in golf.

If I were to buy balls, I'd probably buy the high grade used ones at that lostgolfballs.com. A dozen premium balls is about the same as new 2piece ones.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Do you find a lot of B330 balls Ez? I love them but have only found 1 on the course, ever. I'll take them off your hands if you find them regularly. ;)

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have to give the Gamer the title of best ball for the money. I agree that if you are a single digit you can tell the difference between the premium and next tier but I as a 4 hdcp have decided that the Gamer plays just as good as some of them. It is longer than most of the premium balls I played by about 10 yards, thus the spin I lost is made up by a shorter club into the green. And at $20 a dozen brand spanking new it is a no brainer. If you haven't tried them they are well worth it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Do you find a lot of B330 balls Ez? I love them but have only found 1 on the course, ever. I'll take them off your hands if you find them regularly. ;)

Nah. That's the 1st one I found in ages. Plus Twofast likes them so I'll end up trading him for a ProV. I think I like the pre-2007 Prov's the best. The HX tours are good too. Those 2 seem to be the longest for me with the best short game spin/feel.

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I played the gamers last year liked everything about them except the covers get torn up by wedges very easy, i have the same problems with the prov's. I am trying the bridgestone treosofts right now and havent torn any up but they dont spin for me at all, i dont mind knowing that every chip is going to release and on full shots i never worry about spinning them back, they always land and one hop stop on short irons and little release on longer ones. Is there any premium ball that have durable covers that wont tear everytime i hit a wedge?? I got some b330 tours to try right now but havent tried them yet

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Sounds alot like the Callaway Hotbite. OK ball but the covers get torn up easily.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I think the best golf balls for the price are D2 Feels. Decent distance and spin for $1 each. Covers are pretty durable and they putt nice too.

Although they have been discontinued, the Precept XP3 is also an excellent ball. I've been playing these lately and stocked up on about 15 dozen over the winter, I paid $8-10 dozen for them. YG can testify, for a surlyn covered ball they spin like crazy and the cover is very durable. This has been a very pleasant surprise for me. They are very long for me off the tee also.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I always have thought that used pro v1s were great for the money... You can get them at walmart for $17 a dozen (I'm in Canada)....

Thats a great deal IMO.

Fr.
Chris.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Dicks had the Maxfli Tour Fires for $14.99 during my visit yesterday.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I was playing the Callaway Diablo ball in Tn. and was happy with every thing about it but the bite on the greens. But I tried a ProV1 and it wouldn't bite on those greens either. After I have a chance to play a few rounds here at home with them I'll know more about the bite.

🔥 Latest posts