• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Golf Shots ever?

Wrong Sider

Aug 8, 2006
Hello everyone.

I just saw a clip of Fuzzy's miracle hole in one where the ball stayed motionless on the fringe for about ten seconds before rolling onto the green and into the cup.

Then there was Tiger Woods' chip in the Masters.

What are some of the others that you have seen or heard about. I wish I was more a historian of the game. I think Snead is credited with the best 1 iron shot of all time but I can't remember.

I hope this is the right location for this topic. If not could someone point me in the right direction.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Justin Leonard's putt on #17 at Brookline in the '99 Ryder Cup.

Jack's birdie putt on #17 at Augusta in '86.

Tom Watson's chip in on #17 at Pebble Beach to beat Jack for the '82 US Open.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Corey Pavin's 4 wood in the US Open.

Jerry Pate's 5 iron in the US Open.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
There was some crazy Tiger shot I remember seeing. He was in the rough, hitting a 3-iron or something, terrible lie, he hit a high hook or slice over a tree onto the green and his playing partners were just in shock. The announcers were blabbering about it for 15 minutes.

Also that 200+ yard 6-iron out of the bunker over water on 18 at that tournament a while back.

Gene Sarazen's 4-wood double eagle at the Masters
Sergio's slice around the tree at the 99 PGA
Karrie Webb holing out for eagle on the 72nd hole to make the playoff earlier this year
Shaun Micheel hitting it to a foot on the 72nd at the PGA

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Pavin's 4-wood or the famous chip into the hole in the playoff at the Masters where Greg Norman lost it again.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
I know we are apt to get more

involved with shots of our own time by the heroes (gods?) of the current age, but Sarazen's 4-wood for a double-eagle which I believe eventually won the tournament for him, how could anything top that? Hole-in-ones are great, like David Tom's. Nicely played shots from bunkers, rough, or whatever that go in the hole with everything on the line, like Tom Watson at Pebble Beach. All of these are great, and Tiger and Jack certainly have made more than their share of super shots. But to make a double eagle to win the Masters? Sorry, that has to be the greatest shot of all time.

Now let us be really fair. What if Tiger Woods were to make a double eagle to win a major championship? I do believe that such a shot would eclipse even the miracle chip, logo and all, as Tiger's greatest shot. And if we were truly honest, such a shot would TIE Sarazen's shot, not surpass it. Or is this whole thing just another part of the idolatry that is rampant today, especially in the media where they have a vested, monetary interest in turning sports heroes into gods?

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Constantino Rocca, after totally flubbing his approach shot to the 18th in the 1995 British Open, sinks a 65-footer from the Valley of Sin to get into a playoff with John Daly.

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Three of the greatest that come to my mind.

- Watson's birdie chip on the 17th at the 1982 US Open

- Sarazen's double-eagle at the 1935 Masters, holing out with a 4-wood from 225 yards.

- Tiger's 218 yard 6-iron out of a bunker over water on the 18th at the 2000 Canadian Open.

Obviously there are many more.

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Lots of good examples. Didn't Hale Irwin hit a 230+ sand shot to about 3-4' on the 18th to win a US Open once? Maybe at Pebble?

On Tigers chip...yes, it was a great shot and made even more so due to the circumstances....BUT, Davis Love III made the same shot a few years earlier (one of those "These Guys ar Good" commercials was made showing it).

I agree that Sarazans is probably #1.

P_102

Wildbore

Oct 24, 2005
Yes

Gene Sarazen's 4 wood has to be easily the best.

Jacks 1 iron that hit the Par 3 pin at Pebble beach is second best.

I can think of tons of hole outs that screwed Greg Norman that were pretty good too.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
How about Birdie Kim holing her bunker shot on the last to win the Women's US Open?

A freaking miracle shot.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
That Tiger shot mentioned above was amazing. It is his very own "#1 shot" as discussed on his triple DVD series that is available to buy. It is truely remarkable, and is worth buying the DVD for alone, even though the rest of it is brilliant, also.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Me. Par 5. Average drive (250yds), almost missed the ball with the next shot (20-30 yds), 3 iron to front of green and ran into the hole!

I was only about 16 and it was seen by loads of people. Sadly it has been down hill since

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
I guess it will always be Ben Hogan's 1-iron shot at Merion. That image seems to be the symbol of great golf shots and the world of golf itself.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Chas said:
I guess it will always be Ben Hogan's 1-iron shot at Merion. That image seems to be the symbol of great golf shots and the world of golf itself.

We have said picture hanging up in the workshop in my Pro Shop. Fine picture it is, n' all ! I just wonder what today's player would hit from that spot today...

🔥 Latest posts