• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best GPS/Range finder/Cell phone software

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Hi I have been looking into a laser range finder/GPS/smartphone software. need some opinions good/bad or indifferent. Skycaddie? Laser range finder? Free smartphone software? Any one using these please chime in. Thanks Brian

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I used a GPS for years, several different models. Midway through last year I got a Bushnell laser. I'll never go back to using a GPS :)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I use a bushnell pin seeker. Love it.
I also have teedroid software for my phone.
Costs $12 or something.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have used several models of Skycaddies and they work fantastic. I can't be bothered with a laser, as they take way too long and often sight in objects behind the pin giving false readings.

There are several options out there for GPS receivers that will work well. I would personally stay away from the Callaway uPro, as it's the most inaccurate GPS I have ever seen. Well, at least on the courses I play.

The Skycaddies have never turned me wrong, so I have nothing but regard for them.

R35

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I have used several models of Skycaddies and they work fantastic. I can't be bothered with a laser, as they take way too long and often sight in objects behind the pin giving false readings.

R35

You ever tried the bushnell's with the pinseeker? Mine locks in on the pin in nothing flat.

But I will admit that GPS is handy for yardage to a FW bunker, hazard, etc.

OP
MercMan

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Having a rifle in the bag could have some advantages, 1-it will keep the guys in your group in line, 2-blasting a volley into the foursome in front is sure to get them moving! ahahahah

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You ever tried the bushnell's with the pinseeker? Mine locks in on the pin in nothing flat.

But I will admit that GPS is handy for yardage to a FW bunker, hazard, etc.

I've tried two. Both were Bushnells, can't remember the model to be exact. One was on a 143 yard par 3, gave me 163 to the tree behind the pin. The second was on an approach to a par 5 while we were waiting to hit. 235ish out, gave readings in the 260 range. After that, i didn't need to try it again.

My Skycaddie gave me yardage that matched the sprinklers, and what I had paced off from the fairway markers to the yard. What more do you need?

To each their own, I still think the strength lies in the GPS reciever and the multiple targets it produces instantly and whether you walk 2 yards to the left or the right and don't have to re-shoot the target to see what carry is over the trap.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
And then there was one.....as you can see, there are pros and cons to each side of what's better. This just takes it to a whole new level and destroys it all...

BUSHNELL GOLF INTRODUCES REVOLUTIONARY HYBRID GOLF RANGEFINDER
Hybrid Golf Rangefinder is the First Distance Measuring Device to Combine the Best of Laser and GPS Technology

Overland Park, KS, January 10, 2010 – Bushnell Outdoor Products, makers of the #1 laser rangefinder on the PGA Tour, today introduced the most ground-breaking golf rangefinder in company history. Already the makers of the mostly widely played laser rangefinder and technologically advanced GPS rangefinders, Bushnell has created the ultimate distance measuring device with the Bushnell Hybrid – a combination laser rangefinder with GPS. Debuting at the PGA Show, January 27-29, and available at retail in February, at a retail price of $499, the Hybrid is the first of its kind in the market.

The Bushnell Hybrid is a revolutionary combination laser and GPS product. The laser rangefinding technology engineered into the Hybrid provides golfers with precise distances within one yard to virtually any point on any course in the world. Over 90% of PGA Tour pros and top amateurs trust Bushnell laser rangefinders to provide them the most accurate distances available in golf today.

The Hybrid’s GPS function allows users to access more than 16,000 North American golf courses which have been pre-loaded onto the device, making it ready to use right out of the box without ever having to pay any membership fees. The Hybrid’s GPS provides simple, at-a-glance distances to front, center and back of the green. The Hybrid also offers four custom points on a hole that can be extremely helpful to reference on blind tee shots/approaches on a golf course. The GPS distances are also convenient on days when it is “cart paths only” when golfers are deciding what clubs to bring with them. Another great feature is the shot distance mode that makes it easy for the golfer to gauge how far a drive or an approach was hit.

With the Hybrid, you can now acquire exact distances to the flag, lip of a bunker, tree, or any other object on the course. Knowing the exact lasered distance to the flag, as well as the GPS provided distance to the front, center and back of the green, enables the golfer to strategize and hit every approach shot with confidence. Having the ability to use both laser and GPS technologies, the golfer now has the best of both worlds in one unit. The Hybrid is legal for tournament play under USGA decision 14-3/0.5 that permits a committee to establish a local rule that allows a player to use a distance-measuring device to obtain distance information.

“We believe this first of its kind rangefinder will give golfers the best of both worlds,” said Phil Gyori, Executive Vice President of Marketing. “There has been a long ongoing debate over laser rangefinders and GPS devices, and we are exited to bring the Hybrid to consumers and offer them a product that marries the best laser rangefinder technology with the easy to use features of a GPS rangefinder.”

Bushnell, the #1 choice of professional golfers, offers a full range of rangefinders, which continue to change and improve the way golfers assess distances, ultimately improving performance.

For more information on the Bushnell family of rangefinders, visit the company’s website at Bushnell Golf - Home Bushnell Golf - Home

R35

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
And then there was one.....as you can see, there are pros and cons to each side of what's better. This just takes it to a whole new level and destroys it all...

BUSHNELL GOLF INTRODUCES REVOLUTIONARY HYBRID GOLF RANGEFINDER
Hybrid Golf Rangefinder is the First Distance Measuring Device to Combine the Best of Laser and GPS Technology

Overland Park, KS, January 10, 2010 – Bushnell Outdoor Products, makers of the #1 laser rangefinder on the PGA Tour, today introduced the most ground-breaking golf rangefinder in company history. Already the makers of the mostly widely played laser rangefinder and technologically advanced GPS rangefinders, Bushnell has created the ultimate distance measuring device with the Bushnell Hybrid – a combination laser rangefinder with GPS. Debuting at the PGA Show, January 27-29, and available at retail in February, at a retail price of $499, the Hybrid is the first of its kind in the market.

The Bushnell Hybrid is a revolutionary combination laser and GPS product. The laser rangefinding technology engineered into the Hybrid provides golfers with precise distances within one yard to virtually any point on any course in the world. Over 90% of PGA Tour pros and top amateurs trust Bushnell laser rangefinders to provide them the most accurate distances available in golf today.

The Hybrid’s GPS function allows users to access more than 16,000 North American golf courses which have been pre-loaded onto the device, making it ready to use right out of the box without ever having to pay any membership fees. The Hybrid’s GPS provides simple, at-a-glance distances to front, center and back of the green. The Hybrid also offers four custom points on a hole that can be extremely helpful to reference on blind tee shots/approaches on a golf course. The GPS distances are also convenient on days when it is “cart paths only” when golfers are deciding what clubs to bring with them. Another great feature is the shot distance mode that makes it easy for the golfer to gauge how far a drive or an approach was hit.

With the Hybrid, you can now acquire exact distances to the flag, lip of a bunker, tree, or any other object on the course. Knowing the exact lasered distance to the flag, as well as the GPS provided distance to the front, center and back of the green, enables the golfer to strategize and hit every approach shot with confidence. Having the ability to use both laser and GPS technologies, the golfer now has the best of both worlds in one unit. The Hybrid is legal for tournament play under USGA decision 14-3/0.5 that permits a committee to establish a local rule that allows a player to use a distance-measuring device to obtain distance information.

“We believe this first of its kind rangefinder will give golfers the best of both worlds,” said Phil Gyori, Executive Vice President of Marketing. “There has been a long ongoing debate over laser rangefinders and GPS devices, and we are exited to bring the Hybrid to consumers and offer them a product that marries the best laser rangefinder technology with the easy to use features of a GPS rangefinder.”

Bushnell, the #1 choice of professional golfers, offers a full range of rangefinders, which continue to change and improve the way golfers assess distances, ultimately improving performance.

For more information on the Bushnell family of rangefinders, visit the company’s website at Bushnell Golf - Home Bushnell Golf - Home

R35

Wow... that's pretty cool. Would love to see that in practice!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Since my sg4 busted a couple of years ago, I have been waiting for something really good to come out. It will be interesting to read some reviews on this.

OP
MercMan

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Wow that thing sounds crazy, I wonder if it can help you select/hit the rite club, and calculate the risk/reward for you. Price is a little steep, but i am sure it will come down in a season or 2

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Just for clarification, the laser and GPS are not integrated. They are separate - just happen to be housed in the same case. I already have and use both, so this would just be a costly toy at this point.

I'm waiting for the next step where they do integrate the two. Take a reading on the flag with the laser, and that number is plugged into the GPS display to not only give the distance from you to the flag, but to every other feature programmed for that hole. Now that would be cool.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Just for clarification, the laser and GPS are not integrated. They are separate - just happen to be housed in the same case. I already have and use both, so this would just be a costly toy at this point.

I'm waiting for the next step where they do integrate the two. Take a reading on the flag with the laser, and that number is plugged into the GPS display to not only give the distance from you to the flag, but to every other feature programmed for that hole. Now that would be cool.

Golfers costly toys! Just ask anyone who pays $400 for a driver.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online