• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

best guitarist ever?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So "Texas Flood" would be the one with most of those songs he was doing in that 1982(?) PBS special? Those are the ones I want. The blues stuff. :D

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I really like SRV, have a number of his albums including Live at Montrose. Mark Knophler is really good but not as well known as he should be. Someone who has not been mentioned is Roy Clark, yes of Hee Haw! He can play anything with strings on it.

Jimi, Carlos, BB are all legends but for my money I think the best is Clapton. He can play hard rock, soft rock, accustic, blues. The guy does it all.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
So "Texas Flood" would be the one with most of those songs he was doing in that 1982(?) PBS special? Those are the ones I want. The blues stuff. :D

Yeah, I saw that special too (he was also on Austin City Limits I think 4 times) -- most of the songs were off of "Texas Flood". It's a good place to start. "Couldn't Stand the Weather" would be my second choice then probably "In Step".

It's all good but "Texas Flood" is probably the most "bluesy". With SRV the blues are never far from his music. :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
... or you could get the Greatest Hits and work your way back based on what you like
Amazon.com: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Greatest Hits: Music: Stevie Ray Vaughan
then maybe Greatest Hits 2
Amazon.com: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Greatest Hits: Music: Stevie Ray Vaughan

then likely end up being all of it once you get started, and wonder why you did just buy them all to start with.

I would agree Texas Flood is likely the "Bluesiest", and very hard to beat. High on my list of favorite albums of all time. As mentioned earlier, it is going to be hard to find a SRV album where Blues is not the main focus of his music.

What is to easily overlooked is the guy also had some great pipes on him when it came to the blues.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I really like SRV, have a number of his albums including Live at Montrose. Mark Knophler is really good but not as well known as he should be. Someone who has not been mentioned is Roy Clark, yes of Hee Haw! He can play anything with strings on it.

Roy Clark could play. What about Chet Atkins? Do you have the album with he and Knopfler called "Neck and Neck"? Good stuff.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Roy Clark could play. What about Chet Atkins? Do you have the album with he and Knopfler called "Neck and Neck"? Good stuff.

Didn't know they had an album together, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
No thoughts about Eddie Van Halen?

Ummmm....drugged out has-been, just out of rehab, going on tour with a washed-up David Lee Roth, in order to make money off people living in the past?:laugh:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Ummmm....drugged out has-been, just out of rehab, going on tour with a washed-up David Lee Roth, in order to make money off people living in the past?:laugh:
Bring back Roth after swearing it would never happen and Hagar wouldn't come back without Michael Anthony. Surround yourself with a brother, money grubbing washout that has said for years how much money they could make, and now your son to make you feel important.

I guess if no one else wants to be around you, you can always fall back on family and ones willing to profit. :laugh:

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007

Bring back Roth after swearing it would never happen and Hagar wouldn't come back without Michael Anthony. Surround yourself with a brother, money grubbing washout that has said for years how much money they could make, and now your son to make you feel important.

I guess if no one else wants to be around you, you can always fall back on family and ones willing to profit. :laugh:

Wow, you guys are brutal. :D

If you took every artist who was a dirtbag as a person off our lists then probably half of them (or more) would be gone. :laugh:

One great thing about music is that once it's recorded it more or less lives on forever regardless of what the artist was like at the time or turned into later. I gave up worrying about what kind of person it is that makes the music a long time ago since most of them I wouldn't want to be around anyway.

Same goes for a lot of professional sports personalities too (including many of the all-time great golfers).

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
They don't call Chet Atkins Mr. Guitar for nothing.
YouTube - Chet Atkins
I would also add to the list.
James Taylor
YouTube - James Taylor - Something In the Way She Moves - Live Concert
Jerry Reed (yes the Smokey and the Bandit Jerry Reed)
YouTube - Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed - Georgia On My Mind
Earl Klugh
YouTube - Earl Klugh

I just picked up an out-of-print CD that has two albums on it:
1. Me and Chet (Jerry Reed & Chet Atkins)
2. Me and Jerry (Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed)

Un-freaking-believable guitar work. I've been a Chet Atkins fan for some time, but never really knew how good Jerry Reed was.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
James Taylor
Interesting choice, kinda caught me off guard and not someone I would associate as a greatest guitarist until I really got to thinking about his music. I have always been a big fan. Kinda like I think Van Morrison is one of my favorite musicians and vocalist, yet many would look at me like I am absolutely nuts. Just at one with his music, and it reaches the soul.

Members online

No members online now.