• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best irons

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
I got my Ping i5's in the off season, so I've only played with them about 6 times so far. But I love them.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Narrowed my choice down to Callaway X-18's, Ping G-5 or I-5's and the Cleveland CG-4. Not sure I want another set of Cleveland's though.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Think it's the Ping G-5's. Anyone disagree? I still have a month or so to look and try out others.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Warbird

Which series of VAS Irons do you have right now? The VAS+, or the 792's?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
792's. The same ones Corey Pavin won the US Open with (well not exactly, LOL). I paid like $700 for them and the next year they came out with "new improved" versions and dropped the price on the ones I bought to $500. I was pissed.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Miura, pured shots feel better than..... well you get the picture. :)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I heard a quote that may apply:

"Lock 10 theologians in a room,ask a theological question, and you'll get 15 different answers."

What is right for one is not for another. What one loves, another will hate. Asking this question in a forum will do more harm than help.

Hit as many irons as you can. Buy what you hit the best.

Good luck...

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
bdcrowe said:
I heard a quote that may apply:

"Lock 10 theologians in a room,ask a theological question, and you'll get 15 different answers."

Amen! :D

I agree with BDCrowe... golf clubs are a personal thing, and while others may help steer you away from the 'really bad' irons, the only person that can decide which irons are the right ones is you. If you stick with any of the name brands you should be fine as far as quality is concerned... you just need to find the right set that fits your style of play.

Good luck. :)

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Actually

My thought is the path of least resistance, I would keep the clubs you have. I am down to either those or the TA5's(2001) version, I hit those 792's last week after hitting the TA5's and I liked them just as much. I hit the 3 iron and 9 iron from that set. Got a nice straight long ball flight out of the 3 and a nice lofted soft 9. I am only torn between those 2 sets of Irons now. Before I hit those I was sure I wanted Callaways, now I know that I could be happy with every club in the bag except the putter being a Cleveland.:smilie_cl

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.