• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best moderately priced forged irons?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm thinking of doing what I said I would, then wouldn't, and now am thinking about doing again. Buying a set of forged irons.

I've heard a few people here promote several sets, but I'd like to get some reassurances.

I'm thinkining Mizuno, Wishon, Cleveland (YoungGun is going to mock me for this :p ), Wilson....i'm trying to stay away from Titleist (personal preference, so please don't yell) and Hogan.

Give me your best selling feature. And yes, i'm going to go into this blind and stupid. If I make the jump to forged blade/musclebacks, i'm going to do it the idiot route. That way I have an excuse! :)

Thanks guys, I look forward to your replies.

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Try something in the vein of the Mizuno MP30s - still a cavity back, but very playable (or so I hear). Love my MX23s. For what it's worth, I got them from 3balls Golf on ebay for $418 CDN shipped to the US, where I went and picked them up. Would have been extra $10 or 20 to get them shipped up here via UPS WWEX (the one WITHOUT brokerage).

I did hit the TA7 Tours when I was demo'ing and preferred the feel of the Mizunos to the Clevelands...but this opinion is worth about what you're paying for it.

But those new Wilsons...they sure are purrrrrdy.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
you assumed right, i officially mock you, Cleveland all the way, oh um, i think www.golfdiscount.com has TM RAC MB/CB combo's for like 500 or so, canadian dollars i have no idea what that comes to not too bad, once again, from the other thread its personal preference, dont' worry, i don't like titleist either, um, i've never hit a hogan in my life, try some of macgregors irons, i hear they are pretty good,, ask jeff gallo what he thinks of his

:smilie_cl

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I of course really like the Tommy Armour evo v25s, but they are hard to find. The MP14s were the bomb, but they are equally hard to find with deep grooves these days I think. See the pictures thread for a look at the ugly sticks (I swear they play just like the MP14s). Cleveland is never a bad choice. If they can't keep Phil, do Titelist really desereve to be played? ;)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
You already know how I feel about Mizuno. You can't go wrong there if you end up liking them. :miz:

I've been reading up on Wishon too, and if I were looking for irons right now I would check them out. He's also designed a couple of driver heads that look interesting. There's suppose to be a Wishon fitter about 50 miles from me so when I get some time I'll probably go for a visit.

If you open the year with another 63 just be happy and forget about the whole thing. Or better yet, get the Wishons decide to keep what you have and send them to me. ;)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
This is weird.

I've been playing my Titleist DCI's for almost ten years and everytime I see the Mizuno's - they look beautiful....and everyone who plays them thinks they are great....

Club ho??

CG1MAN

Mar 1, 2005
i think you should give the mizuno 32's a try...they are a cut muscle blade and they are as easy to hit as a cb.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
mizuno's are very soft feeling, mp-30's, 32's, 33's, or 37's are all good buys.
taylormade 300 forged can be had for a great price
hogan blades are fairly inexpensive, and their forgings are nice
or....get the callaway x-tour forged!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So you're saying Mizuno's, hey?

Hmm...

The saga continues...

R35

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
Forged Sticks

Mizuno MX-23 Forged, $529 US on Ebay, place your order, then order is sent to Mizuno for custom build, -+ 3 degrees, -+ 1.5 inches on shaft. Shipped free of charge to lower US or by UPS to Canada. So if you could get them shipped to someone in the US they could then MAIL them to you in Canada. Price works out to be about $661 Canadian, before duty. I called the local Nevada Bobs and those irons sell for $1049 Cnd, plus our 15% taxes in Ontario. So as you can see there is a HUGE savings here. These are not blades but they are forged.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36217&item=7139284462&rd=1

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
MX-23s keep coming up don't they Rock. Give in, you know it's the right thing to do. ;)

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
rockford35 said:
I'm thinking of doing what I said I would, then wouldn't, and now am thinking about doing again. Buying a set of forged irons.

I've heard a few people here promote several sets, but I'd like to get some reassurances.

I'm thinkining Mizuno, Wishon, Cleveland (YoungGun is going to mock me for this :p ), Wilson....i'm trying to stay away from Titleist (personal preference, so please don't yell) and Hogan.

Give me your best selling feature. And yes, i'm going to go into this blind and stupid. If I make the jump to forged blade/musclebacks, i'm going to do it the idiot route. That way I have an excuse! :)

Thanks guys, I look forward to your replies.

R35

Hey Rock check this ebay canada auction out, just what you are looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36217&item=7138879292&rd=1&tc=photo

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Quit subliminally mocking me, Dave. ;)

I have a few leads now, we'll see how the weekend works out.

I'm still open to mind-changing suggestions, of course.

R35

🔥 Latest posts