• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best news all week

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Just got an e-mail that our building, which is shared between government and public facilities (although, the building is privately owned), has cited a 100% smoking ban from the facility and a 100 foot buffer around the premises.

Best news all week.

R35

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I hate smoking aswell,and if someones ever doing it in a public confined space I make a point of either coughing loudly or saying " I smell cancer", I do realise that its an addiction and feel sorry for anyone that is addicted to them but still I dont want to smell of smoke all day.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
Adam Pettman said:
its an addiction and feel sorry for anyone that is addicted

You are more understanding than I am. I see it as a choice plain and simple. It sucks having to quit, but so do a lot of things that you are obligated to do in life, but you do them anyways. The people who truly want to quit do, and those who "wish" they could quit keep wishing.

After smoking for a year when I was 18 (and stupid) I quit cold turkey. Now the smell absolutely repulses me.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Word up, Hottie.

The shit's gonna hit the fan over this decision tho. Alot of slackass union guys (I can say that because I'm union) are heavy smokers, and coincidently, the laziest mofos in our building.

I see this as a positive from every perspective. I'm glad my e-mail, amoung several hundred others, made a difference.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I smoke but thoroughly respect those who do not. I smoke outside away from other people. I hate it though. I quit once for a few months and never should have gone back. On the other hand I do not drink and feel similar feelings about alcohol in places other than bars. Although the second hand effects are usually no more than having to listen to some guy's half-cocked opinions, the smell of it makes me a bit ill. Also makes me a bit nuts when I see two people together getting lit up. OK, so who's driving? Doesn't bother me too much personally as they will be eating 8800lbs. of Dodge Ram plow frame should they lose control in front of me.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
This is a big issue here right now. The city of Austin has passed a law recently making bars no smoking as well as resaurants.

The bar owners are trying to complain that it will hurt business but if it works in New York it'll work here. I don't know of any office buildings, public or private, that still allow smoking.

FWIW, it is an addiction and it's tough to quit. I learned that the hard way after starting to smoke as a joke and a way to piss off my college track coach. The joke was on me as it turned out. It's been 20 years since I quit now but I still remember how difficult it was.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
DaveE said:
FWIW, it is an addiction and it's tough to quit. I learned that the hard way after starting to smoke as a joke and a way to piss off my college track coach. The joke was on me as it turned out. It's been 20 years since I quit now but I still remember how difficult it was.

I could care less if you smoke (not you specifically, D). But have the respect of others and smoke within your own confines. Your car, your house, your boat, whatever.

Just don't make the decision for me to smoke alongside you. You don't have that right.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
I could care less if you smoke (not you specifically, D). But have the respect of others and smoke within your own confines. Your car, your house, your boat, whatever.

Just don't make the decision for me to smoke alongside you. You don't have that right.

R35

Couldn't agree more. The worst critics in the world are ex-smokers and the smell makes me sick now. In time I think the tougher laws will lead more people to quit too.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
When I was in college, I smoked Kool Filter Kings, one of the harshest cigarettes on the planet.

As graduation grew close, I told myself that the day I graduated would be the last day I smoked a cigarette. So I asked myself which behaviors were the most associated with smoking. 1) Smoking while drinking at a bar and 2) smoking after a meal.

The first thing I did was stop smoking after meals and then gradually I stopped smoking during the day between meals too. The hardest one was at the bar, when your discipline is down after a few cool brews...

So I met my goal, the last cigarette I smoked was on May 1, 1978.

And true to what has been written above - I am absolutely repulsed by cigarettes now. They are positively filthy. I have a keen sense of smell and can often tell if someone is smoking in a car in front of me if their windows are down - even if I am not looking at them.

I think a ban on all public indoor smoking is the right thing to do from a health standpoint. On the other hand if smokers want to stand outside in the weather and slowly kill themselves, that is their own business...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Bravo said:
So I met my goal, the last cigarette I smoked was on May 1, 1978.

And true to what has been written above - I am absolutely repulsed by cigarettes now. They are positively filthy. I have a keen sense of smell and can often tell if someone is smoking in a car in front of me if their windows are down - even if I am not looking at them.

I think a ban on all public indoor smoking is the right thing to do from a health standpoint. On the other hand if smokers want to stand outside in the weather and slowly kill themselves, that is their own business...
I quit back in 1989 after smoking 2 packs a day for 7-8 years. I couldn't agree more. I signed and save a cigarette on the day I quit and still have it, I swore if I ever smoked another, I would have to smoke that first. Although I do smoke Middleton Cherry Cigars on the course and inhale them as they are milder than the Marlboro Reds that I smoked. My wife is still a smoker but neither of us allow it in the house. I can't stand that they still allow smoking in restaurants and is enough to make me lose my appetite if it is close by. NJ and I believe NY already doing this and PA is not far behind.

edit 1 - BTW, I would sooner eat my cigar butt than leave it on the course, this disgusts me to no end when I seen them around the green. I wouldn't even make the cart person throw away the tips, even though he tries.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online