• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best of 2012

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Let's take a moment to remember our single, best golf shot of the year. I had three shots this year that came to mind when I considered this; hitting a green from 320yds from the tee, and sticking the ball to 3 inches from 250 with a fairway wood, but I do feel that this last shot was truly the best...

18th hole at the course I played most often this year, 390 yards. Simple hole with water on the right and no real trouble left. Going left just makes the hole longer. I had hit a great drive up the right side, leaving 102.5 yards to the flag.

I'd just put my old TM Z TP wedges back in the bag that morning, as my Nike VR Pros were under performing (need to upgrade shafts). I asked my partner, Tom, "Have you ever seen a ball spin back before? If I hit this sand wedge as hard as I need to to get it there, it's going to spin like crazy."

Swung, hit it well, held the finish and watched. Tom asks, "is it enough?"

"Yep, " I say, as the ball is coming down. It lands RIGHT BESIDE THE HOLE and bounces once to the back of the green. Then, sure enough, it zips back and trickles, trickles, trickles, and disappears into the hole. Eagle 2.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
2nd shot, 180 yards, on 17th in the final of our Singles Championship. I was one up but under a lot of pressure to hit the green. Nailed a 4 iron right on line, just ran through back but made an easy 4. Miss the green and it was a certain bogey. Halved the hole, halved the last to win 1 up.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
155 yd par 3 9'th at the little 9 holer by my house. I hit a perfect draw over the big tree that's dead between tee box and green and put it to under a foot. I was sure it was going to be an ace, but a 6" tap in was just fine too. What made it even more awesome was the fact that I had caught up to and played in with a threesome on #8, took honors and hit that shot. The one guy says, "are you kidding, I have to follow that?" It made me feel a lot better than I am.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I know i posted the details before but this is the results of a perfect 6i from 180 up hill. ob not too far behind the green but short was ok.

Hit a laser draw to the elevated green and saw this when i got there.

uploadfromtaptalk1355157940016.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Also had a pretty nice little draw to a par three at Glen Erin during the Wisconsin shot talk outing.

Thought that one had a chance to ace but no such luck. Ill take the tap in any day though.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
It probably wasn't my best shot but it's the one I remember the most because I was under pressure. I played in a charity scramble and we tied for 1st so we went into a sudden death playoff. It wouldn't have been a big deal but everyone went out to the short 338 yd 10th hole by the clubhouse to watch our playoff. Not only was there a lot people watching but there were a lot of people actually standing on or around our tee box. So I'm nervous as hell for some reason. Then my playing partners all hit bad shots. WTH?! One of my partners is a plus cap and he hit his OB. It was the pressure. The "gallery" wouldn't be quiet, everyone was talking and that's all I could hear when I stepped up to my ball. I usually think mechanics when I swing but this time I didn't, I just swung hard, lol. I hit it dead straight, (a rarity for me) right at the green, the ball took a big bounce and rolled all the way to the green, took the slope and ended up pin high, on the right fringe. Wow. I guess it was the adrenaline because I'm usually 40 - 50yds out on that hole. The best part of that shot was everyone's reaction...lots of compliments. I felt like a stud, lol. Oh yeah, we won.

TLDR: I hit a great drive, under pressure, when I needed it most.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Okay, I have to add one to this list. It's the best shot that I have ever witnessed, not just this year.

It was a shot that my oldest son hit, he was 4 at the time. It was early this year, January maybe. I dropped a couple balls in the fairway at a local course. We were just inside the 100 yd marker. The fairways were dormant and wet, making the lie exceptionally tight. My son come out of his shoes with his driver and flushed it. It was a bomb and we were yelling for it to make the green. I didn't think it had a chance of making the green because of the soft fairways, but it did. The ball took a bounce and bounded up on the green and kept rolling. It took the slope and funneled to the right side towards the tucked pin and then disappeared into the hole. F'ing insane! I went nuts, lol. To this day, when my son tells the story, he always tells people that "dad was riding his his golf club like a pony". It's funny to me that, that was what he remembers most. I can't tell you guys how cool that was though.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Okay, I have to add one to this list. It's the best shot that I have ever witnessed, not just this year.

It was a shot that my oldest son hit, he was 4 at the time. It was early this year, January maybe. I dropped a couple balls in the fairway at a local course. We were just inside the 100 yd marker. The fairways were dormant and wet, making the lie exceptionally tight. My son come out of his shoes with his driver and flushed it. It was a bomb and we were yelling for it to make the green. I didn't think it had a chance of making the green because of the soft fairways, but it did. The ball took a bounce and bounded up on the green and kept rolling. It took the slope and funneled to the right side towards the tucked pin and then disappeared into the hole. F'ing insane! I went nuts, lol. To this day, when my son tells the story, he always tells people that "dad was riding his his golf club like a pony". It's funny to me that, that was what he remembers most. I can't tell you guys how cool that was though.
Lmao

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Easy answer

It was the final qualifier for the Men's Eastern Iowa championships and all but 1 of the 12 members representing our club have been decided and after 18 holes, it was a straight up tie between four of us (all of who are my best friends and reg partners anyway...so there was a comfort zone between us)...so rules state that another nine holes need to be played.

Now many of the other players as well as members and friends followed us along the next 9 holes (10-18).

In all honesty, I felt I could have won it in regulation play because my game seemed "on"...but I was hitting my new irons longer than my old irons...so on a few approach shots, I was hitting over the greens.

Anyway, by the time we hit #17, one guys was two strokes back of us three....and I was thinking, (damn, another nine holes is gonna kill us...after all, it was mid august and temps were upper 90's with a lot of humidity).

#17 is a 142 yard par three over a pond and small part of the green visible between trees.

First guy nails his shot and lands on the green about 6-8 feet right...Next guy hits his just left of the green, but a nice lie.

Last time on this hole I used my 9-iron and it flew the green...now with a bit more wind at my back than last time, I decided better to be short than long...and maybe bounce it on to the green....knowing that the heat and drought made the grounds play a lot firmer.

I told the guys what I was thinking..and took out my gap wedge...and it was like magic.

Hit it crisp and watched it go straight towards the pin...and heard one guy say "We may be getting a free drink guys"...ball hit ground about 6 yards in front of the green...bounced a time or two, then rolled into the cup!

Ace.:)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Easy answer

It was the final qualifier for the Men's Eastern Iowa championships and all but 1 of the 12 members representing our club have been decided and after 18 holes, it was a straight up tie between four of us (all of who are my best friends and reg partners anyway...so there was a comfort zone between us)...so rules state that another nine holes need to be played.

Now many of the other players as well as members and friends followed us along the next 9 holes (10-18).

In all honesty, I felt I could have won it in regulation play because my game seemed "on"...but I was hitting my new irons longer than my old irons...so on a few approach shots, I was hitting over the greens.

Anyway, by the time we hit #17, one guys was two strokes back of us three....and I was thinking, (damn, another nine holes is gonna kill us...after all, it was mid august and temps were upper 90's with a lot of humidity).

#17 is a 142 yard par three over a pond and small part of the green visible between trees.

First guy nails his shot and lands on the green about 6-8 feet right...Next guy hits his just left of the green, but a nice lie.

Last time on this hole I used my 9-iron and it flew the green...now with a bit more wind at my back than last time, I decided better to be short than long...and maybe bounce it on to the green....knowing that the heat and drought made the grounds play a lot firmer.

I told the guys what I was thinking..and took out my gap wedge...and it was like magic.

Hit it crisp and watched it go straight towards the pin...and heard one guy say "We may be getting a free drink guys"...ball hit ground about 6 yards in front of the green...bounced a time or two, then rolled into the cup!

I think that wins!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Easy answer

Ill be expecting my bottle of single malt in the mail anytime.

Nice shot man!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.