• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best part of the country (USA) to play golf year round...

d373rm1ned

Apr 4, 2009
Just wondering what location you guys would recommend for playing golf year round in the continental United States? I'm from Iowa and seriously fed up with the cold weather 6 months out of the year. When I graduate college, I am strongly thinking about moving southeast or out west where I will be able to golf much more often and not have to drive in the snow! Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Alabama----with a RTJ trail card:thumbs up:.... I'm getting excited now....gotta go.:D

Or New Mexico----Jeff has a good thing going there.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I live in Mississippi and can play year round. But I'd say either Fla or Al. The RTJ Trail is tough to beat.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
North Carolina is nice, you will be able to play at least one round in every month. But you still get to somewhat enjoy seasons. And you have the sandhills region with Pinehurst, Mid Pines, Mid South, Southern Pines etc. Some terrific courses. Just my $0.02

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Alabama----with a RTJ trail card:thumbs up:.... I'm getting excited now....gotta go.:D

Or New Mexico----Jeff has a good thing going there.

+1. Bama has great weather.

New Mexico is also awesome, and better if you don't like humidity. Fair warning though, its touch and go weather, very erratic. I saw 60s in December and went playing, and snow in April.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
+1. Bama has great weather.

New Mexico is also awesome, and better if you don't like humidity. Fair warning though, its touch and go weather, very erratic. I saw 60s in December and went playing, and snow in April.

That's not erratic. WI also has some strange weather, but nothing compares to upper michigan. Last year, in 10 days, I experienced a humid 85, a dry dry 60, and a windy 38. Thunderstorms every two days guaranteed. No rain otherwise.

As to the original post: I really wish I had applied to the University of Hawaii! Forget the mainland.

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008
Southern California, I played 51 weeks in a row there. Lots of great courses. Can be a bit crazy at times though.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Phoenix area. Year round golf. Yeah it'shot during the summer, but stay hydrated and it's not a problem. In the summer, the rates go way down. I'm talking in the neighborhood of $20 with cart and balls for 18 holes. That's for the top rated courses in the area.

bobbarmore

Bob Barmore
Apr 30, 2009
Pinehurst is the Golf Capital of the US. With over 40 Championship courses in the area and the moderate NC climate it cannot be beat. The area is also very affordable. You will be surprised how affordable a golf trip or country club membership home can be.

I tell everyone that only Jan & Feb are iffy months for golf. The courses are open but sometimes the weather is an issue. March through May are great, summer can gets a bit warm and fall is fantanstic through most of December. The climate is very moderate. All the homes are built on crawl spaces and the pipes are not insulated in any way. Originally fro the North, I worried about this through my first several winters. It really does not freeze in Pinehurst.

Qualiy, quantity, and price Pinehurst is a great place.

Skidkid267

Hopelessly Addicted
Apr 22, 2009
Southern California, year round perfect weather. Northern California is very nice as well but is colder with more rain in the winter.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
December/January in NC can get cold and snow. At least it followed me down the 5+ years I lived there. And the ticks! In the mountains every jaunt outdoors requires picking off a bunch. Never saw anything like it. Took a walk down the sidewalk in the middle of Hendersonville (where I lived) and picked them off when I got home. Home prices are the lowest I've ever seen though. And same with property taxes. I think they're still fighting the Civil War in the central and eastern parts. And maybe the ticks aren't as bad there as in the mountains?

Mississippi or Alabama would be a solid choice also IMHO. Not too sure about Texas or Louisiana.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.