• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best PC Gold Game?

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I wanted to get my old man a golf game for his PC. I don't think he'd like the Tiger Woods style of play with all the swing arcs and arrows. He LOVED the old atari golf from 20 years ago, which just had a simple 3-click swing system and you aimed with the keyboard. I'd like to find one that has the old 3-click type swing that is more realistic. The first time I played Tiger Woods I scored a 64. That's hardly realistic lol! There haven't really been any golf games released the last 10 years other than oddball $10 games and EA's tiger woods so I may be stuck with that. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery??

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
World Golf Tour is fun. It has nice graphics and it's 3-click. Also, you play on real courses. Can't tell you much other than that...I played the free version.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You can choose to play Tw12 the masters with the 3 click swing. Also, if you shot a 64 on your first round, you need to up the difficulty brother :p but they say that they've made it much more simulation in the new 2012 masters game. Augusta is really something.

Hard to recommend anything else. He can learn the nuances.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I looked a bunch of games on Amazon to see reviews and basically, nobody makes a good golf game. Tons of complaints for everything. Whether it was TW2012, World Golf or Hank Haney everyone says they were crap. Most people think you're supposed to be able to shoot 62 right out of the box so if they can't they say it's too hard. Reviews online are usually written by 15 year olds who play PS3 and Xbox all night long so the reviews are somewhat unreliable. I'm trying to avoid anything that is an online sim, because he's 66 and just wants to be able to play with his buddies. Which rules out WGT and TW because they really don't work that way. Maybe I'll buy us one of those basement simulators so we can actually hit balls in the winter! :D

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Maybe I'll buy us one of those basement simulators so we can actually hit balls in the winter! :D

You neglected to mention you had a 5k budget...

Honestly though...the simple shit is all available online, for free. Graphics suck, gameplay sucks..but if you're looking for old-school...it's all available at the click of a mouse. Multiplayer wouldnt be an option though.

OP
DrBrown

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
Oh I'm poor lol, just dreaming! I decided to try Links 2003. Has multiplayer, online, offline etc. The graphics are a bit dated but it will be the easiest for him to pick up. The bonus is Firestone is one of the courses you can get and we're right up the road so that will make a nice gift. If he doesn't like it I'll just take it back.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Buy a wii and get wii golf. It's silly and probably not realistic, but I bet it is great fun for someone who doesn't want to takes too seriously.

TW12 was extremely difficult for the first 2 hours. Painfully difficult. I HATED the game. Bubba Watson killed me in an exhibition skins match about 14 times in a row.

Now, I play on Tour Pro difficulty and shoot 56-62 all day long. It is very satisfying, because there really is SO MUCH to consider with each shot. It's an outstanding golf sim. Lie, wind, slope, elevation, etc. everything that could affect the shot does. Putting is REALLY ****ing HARD. The game, on amateur difficulty, really does a lot to help you learn.

If he really wants a good golf game to play, TW12 is it. Super thorough, brilliant gameplay, and Augusta is really... Augusta. The caddy is neat, the announcers aren't bad, custom character career mode is long satisfying. Whooping tiger is a good time. Killed him by 30 shots for the tournament. He actually finished DEAD LAST when I took the #1 spot.

I even prefer the swing stick now, and I went in WANTING 3 click.

TW12, like real golf, takes time to be good at. That's part of what makes it SUCH a good game. If you're playing against someone who is new to it, you're probably going to annihilate them. Some of the online tournament scores are outrageous.

Any other game is a compromise. Sort of like putt putt as opposed to golf.

Members online