• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Round Of the Year

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
You don't always have to go big either. If you want a quality education and you want to play golf, don't sleep on D-II Schools. I went to a D-II school and could have walked onto the golf team. They didn't even fill all their spots some years. Not to mention that our home course was one of the best kept secrets in the free world. Those lucky SOBs hit Pro V1s and hot chicks at the country club all day long while I sweated my ass off on the Lacrosse field. Dam I wish I could go back.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Highdraw34 said:
Not to mention that our home course was one of the best kept secrets in the free world. Those lucky SOBs hit Pro V1s and hot chicks at the country club all day long while .

Wow sounds good to me where do I sign up.

OP
A

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
Those links were very helpful. I have a 3.5 GPA right now and I have not took the ACT or SAT. I still think if I can average around a 38 that I can go somewhere on at least a partial scholarship.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
APowell1990 said:
Those links were very helpful. I have a 3.5 GPA right now and I have not took the ACT or SAT. I still think if I can average around a 38 that I can go somewhere on at least a partial scholarship.

Here is an interesting and ironic angle...if you are an exceptional student and have a high ACT/SAT, you actually have better odds of being accepted at a college with an exceptional academic reputation than a 'state school' for example.

Dartmouth College is an example. An Ivy League school with a tremendous academic reputation. On the other hand, being located in New Hampshire, they have a shorter golf season than schools in warmer climates. Therefore they get fewer potential players showing interest in their program. At the same time, because of the high admissions requirements of the university, it is tough for them to find athletes who are qualified for entry.

What this translates into is the following irony: You can get a scholarship to a great university like Dartmouth with a considerably worse golf game/great grades & scores than you can to a state university that has better golfers but lower academic skills. So a poorer golfer with a better academic background can actually more easily obtain the scholarship to the superior university.

My next door neighbor's son was an example. He had a GPA like yours from an excellent high school which is well respected across the U.S. But the kid was never better than a 2 handicap. He got a full golf scholarship to the University of Virginia because of his grades/scores and the fact that he was a decent player - but by no means scratch. Universities with great golf programs would not look at him because he wasn't good enough on the course...

I hope this makes sense. Get your grades higher!! Get your scores a little lower and you may be able to pursue something like this...whereas an Oklahoma State or University of Arizona would not take you because your golf game is not good enough...you would end up with a better education elsewhere despite being a less capable player...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.