• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best sports moment of the last 100 years?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't get the "inside the box" look everyone is giving here.

The 1980 Miracle on Ice? There HAS to be something better world wide than this.

I dunno, it's hard to think internationally beyond anything except the Olympics....I mean, does the 1986 Sri Lanka cricket championships mean anything to anyone?

Difficult to pinpoint, is my guess.

R35

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
C'mon dude, admit it. You're just partial to the prowess of the East German women's swim teams of the 80's. Let's talk juicing.

OK, how about this. The first web journal I remember following was in 1998, when this guy (Benoit Lecomte) swam across the Atlantic Ocean after his dad died from colon cancer. I was editing a cancer journal at the time, and it was a good sidebar. He trained for 2 years, and was successful. The website is now dead, but I did find this....

http://www.didyouknow.cd/aroundtheworld/swimming.htm

That was a pretty damn impressive feat. But who remembers it?

Canadriver

Nov 26, 2005
Of things that I actually watched:

I kinda liked the '02 Olympic hockey series...

As much as he's a douche, watching Weir win the Masters was pretty awesome, too.

I didn't watch it, but Lance winning 7 is f'in amazing. And yes, Rock, cycling is a sport.

I was going to say the "Summit Series" but it may even be Frazier whupping Casius Clay!

I want to know, however, why you feel that Mike is "a douche" ... just curious because I heard some fans who were critical of him at the Canadian Open too! I won't be arguing for him, I just want to know what some others have to say!:confused:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
C'mon dude, admit it. You're just partial to the prowess of the East German women's swim teams of the 80's. Let's talk juicing.

OK, how about this. The first web journal I remember following was in 1998, when this guy (Benoit Lecomte) swam across the Atlantic Ocean after his dad died from colon cancer. I was editing a cancer journal at the time, and it was a good sidebar. He trained for 2 years, and was successful. The website is now dead, but I did find this....

http://www.didyouknow.cd/aroundtheworld/swimming.htm

That was a pretty damn impressive feat. But who remembers it?

That is staggering...I'd never heard about it...

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I want to know, however, why you feel that Mike is "a douche" ... just curious because I heard some fans who were critical of him at the Canadian Open too! I won't be arguing for him, I just want to know what some others have to say!:confused:

I did Security at the Bell in Vancouver last year and he was just...a douche. When the cameras were on him, he was all smiles and friendly but even the security guys assigned specifically to him basically said that he's a huge rag. Totally unfriendly. Then again, I respect his position, there was a LOT of pressure on him at that tournament and he missed the cut and people were all over him every time they saw him asking for autographs and stuff. My personal opinion is that if you're going to rely on your position as a Canadian "hero" to earn income (ie. Weir Golf), then you should do your best to satisfy your fans at the only tournament that we have and be as congenial as possible. I know it's hard and there's a lot of pressure, but do your best. I don't recall everything that was said about him, but it was really what the two security guys had said in particular.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
That is staggering...I'd never heard about it...

'zackly. He got 90 seconds on the news the day he finished. The website was supposed to generate income for cancer research, but as I recall, it did not do all that well.

Wouldn't you think he'd at least have gotten his 15 minutes? His skin was peeling off by the time he was done!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I was going to say the "Summit Series" but it may even be Frazier whupping Casius Clay!

Yep. I've heard from others that he's a jerk. Think of Don Johnson in Tin Cup. That sorta douche bag.

R35

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
yep, the miracle on ice for me as well.

"I guess I am a sucker for the underdog stories."

That is the exact reason I love my Noles. When I started being a fan, my father took me to Tallahassee to watch them play in the 70s. Those were some slim years. We were lucky to win a game or two. There was a huge fight in the legislature to even let FSU have a football team, and the University was about to give up the team when Bobby Bowden was hired. The rest is History.

Although we are in tough times at the moment, and old Bobby is now 76 and sure to be gone in a couple years, his is the ultimate underdog story.

From a team that was 0-11 the year before he took over to 14 years straight ranked in the top 10, 2 national titles, and the most wins of any D1 coach...my how times have changed. What a sack that man had just to take a job like that.

Love them or hate them, but you can't argue the mans or teams success.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Speaking of all things Olympic, I remember the USA v USSR basketball final of 1972 and the furore over the reset 3 second game clock which I think had something to do with the Russians calling timeout on in the middle of a free throw to the Americans, the rest as they say is history. The Russians at that time adhered in name to the amateur status of sport, but for all intents and purposes they were a professional team - in much the same way as the hockey players were 8 years later....

The '86 Sri Lankan cricket Rock was truly an epic .. I have the reduxed version on dvd ;) ....

Globally .. boxing was always a favourite sport of mine ... the James J Braddock story (Cinderella Man) was inspiring

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
The sports moment that will live in history for me occurred last Thursday at ~4PM EST. It was then that I holed a 6 foot putt for a round of 98, marking my first time ever to break 100. Sorry, but there is no video known to exist imortalizing the event. :)

🔥 Latest posts