• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Used Set Of Irons nder $300

greenhead3

Dec 20, 2005
I am currently getting back into golfing after about 10 years. I am playing with my old set of Founders, but would like to upgrade a little. I am leaning towards the Ping ISI's, but would appreciate any input on a nice forgiving club for a 15+ handicap.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is extremely personal, but I'll throw in my 2 cents from what I've used in the past.

I had a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons from 2003. They were sweet. Forgiving and felt awesome. But, I felt my skill level was above them, so I went with X-16 Pro Series. That being said, I think you'd like the Big Berthas. They just instill confidence.

Another good set is the Ping Eye series, or the ISI's as you've mentioned. Get the Nickel set if you can, just to be more trick. :D Both sets are forgiving and set up well. Try and stay away from Zings. They look the real deal, but I found the two sets I've hit just impossible to figure out. Some good, many bad.

I've also tried a set of X-14's. Those were great clubs. Not as big as the Berthas, but they felt just fantastic and had a sweet spot the size of a lemon. That might help a guy at a 15 handicap on his way down to single digits!

As I said, this is extremely personal. Everyone and their dog will tell you what would be the best for you and still they might all be wrong. Your best bet is to do some searching (such as this) and do some research. Find the clubs that best fir your eye and grab a set cheap off E-bay. Then, and only then, will you know for certain you have the sticks of your dreams.

Good luck in your search!:miz:

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rock, you can't use the Mizuno smilie and not mention MX-23s as an option. :D

Like Rockford said this is personal but while you're looking try these out. They're forged and have great feel but are very forgiving. They can also grow with you as you get better. The MX-23s are the only model that Mizuno recommends for players from 25 all the way to scratch.

I'm biased but I do think they are worth a look. :miz:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Taylor Made LTs get my vote,they are cheap now the LTII is established on Ebay as a second hand bargain.In fact,you may even get some LTIIs for that money.They really are nice irons.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I am not sure of the specifications on the ISI irons, or if they have less offset, or are more closly related to a "Tour" series iron. I just thought it was worth mentioning that you can find the I3 and even the I3+ for under $300 on ebay now. The i3+ is right around $300, for the same set I bought new last year for around $750.

OP
G

greenhead3

Dec 20, 2005
thanks, i appreciate your input. i will do a little more research on the clubs you recommended. it is fun buying a new set, so i will try and take my time.

have a merry christmas!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
if you're good at ebay, go for a set of taylormade rac os, they can probably be found for $200, and put that extra hundred towards lessons!!

OP
G

greenhead3

Dec 20, 2005
i ended up getting a set of cobra 3400 I/XH for $251. they looked like a decent set for a great price so i couldn't resist. i did look at a few reviews and everyone seemed to like them with the exception of really low handicappers.

any input on them?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Oh dude, worst buy ever....:D....kidding.

Hey, no one has the right to say if you've bought crap clubs. Just get out there, hit them and have fun doing it.

If you find they're not your thing, sell them again and buy something else.

This disease is called Ho'ism. Once you've purchased a set of clubs, and then you buy more. Then you will be welcomed with open arms buy our Chancellor of Hoes, Nsherman, King of the Club Hoes.

Good pickup, by the way. Now get out there and hit the damn things and enjoy the sunshine! :miz:

R35

OP
G

greenhead3

Dec 20, 2005
i'll do that...... it is about 20 degrees in Iowa right now. when i get them i am going to go to the local golf simulator with some buddies.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sweet.

Sims are dope. It's all about beer and playing courses you could never afford to play.

Which, in my case, is many of them! LOL.

Have a beer on me. Except, you'll have to pay for it....i'll get you the money the next time I'm in Iowa, I swear!:)

R35

OP
G

greenhead3

Dec 20, 2005
i have never experienced a golf simulator before. we can have a few beers paly pebble beach, and then go get in one of the nascar simulators and drive home.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
With the Nascar sims, you'd need a few buds to fit it.

Did you know that Nascar originated from booze running? During the prohibition, guys suped up cars to outrun the law. When the ban on booze was lifted, guys needed places to race their super cars and drink booze.

Nascar was born.

Sweaty undershirts, burning rubber and booze. It can't get any better than that.

Actually, just stick to the golf sim. At least you'll keep all your teeth. :D

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
greenhead3 said:
i have never experienced a golf simulator before. we can have a few beers paly pebble beach, and then go get in one of the nascar simulators and drive home.
If you hit a draw you may need to play it as a "push fade", if you hit a fade you may need to to play it as a "pull draw". If you hit a slice or a Hook, you may need to have a few beers and play it out of the trees or the ocean, so it is no different than a regular slice or hook. for a chip or short pitch, you can use your putter for the best result, the simulator doesn't know any better.

At least that is my experience with sims.

The beer and food and not having to hunt for your ball in the woods is the best aspect of a simulator.

🔥 Latest posts