• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best way for me to go with clubs???

Koontzy

Mar 19, 2006
I went to a EW shop and love alot of the new clubs... but a total setup for me would be around $2000-$2500 (ouch) this is a setup through most of the companies for a 5-pw,sw,3 and 4 iron hybrid,driver,3 wood, and one other loft or wood....and bag.... the problem is without a credit card, or financing ability(long long story that involves a wife and some family medical expenses) what would eb best for me..

I have only played golf a few times....
I have a $50 set I got off a friend of my brother... its a 3-pw wilson(older) set, a older driver(hits decent) and I bought a 56 degree wedge from walmart...

should I play with the set I have this year and buy a whole new set next year(save up little by little) that way it gives me a year to know if I want to stick with golf or not..

buy some clubs from Hireko(they are cheaper and inexpensive) but look pretty good...

buy used(still will have to save up a little though)

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
How much do you want to spend? (This will help us answer your question with more direction)

Good move, by-the-way, to hold off on blowing the $2500 bucks as a new golfer. :hunter:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Don't buy cheap K-mart stuff. "Pre-owned" is the way to go from E-bay or GG right here at ST (Pro Shop above menu). You can get some pretty nice stuff for peanuts.:)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
You will have to give us a little better info about your skill level and the clubs you already have.

I play a driver that's considered a dinosaur by many, but Saturday I outdrove some guys who were playing brand new Sasquatchs and FT-3s. Most titanium drivers with graphite shafts will be adequate when you are just starting out.

Are your irons some sort of cavity back? If so, they will do fine.

You don't mention any fairway woods, hybrids, or a putter. If you don't have any of these, I would suggest an inexpensive hybrid or 2 to use for long fairway shots. Most amatuers don't hit 3 irons or 4 irons well, me included. Good used ones abound.

Putters are so personal that other than saying that you should use whatever works for you, I can offer no advice.

Don't bankrupt yourself buying sticks, or you won't have any money left to play golf. :)

OP
K

Koontzy

Mar 19, 2006
I dont mind spending the $2500 if I know I will stay in golf.... but I would like to try it for a year... another option I was looking at is playing with my set I have now, and replaceing club by club throughout the year.....

i dont like buying cheap stuff though.... My friend told my about Hierko clubs.... they have a cool website, but that means nothing....

I would like to be able to get a complete set(3-pw(with hybrids) driver, sw,lw,ect... I have a putter I love though:)

OP
K

Koontzy

Mar 19, 2006
i have played golf about 6 times, on a 9 hole par 3 course:) so I am not that good lol.... another reason I dont think I am ready to spend a lot of money ya know... I di mention hybrids.....3 and 4 iron I would want hybrids maybe even a 5 iron hybrid....:)

You will have to give us a little better info about your skill level and the clubs you already have.

I play a driver that's considered a dinosaur by many, but Saturday I outdrove some guys who were playing brand new Sasquatchs and FT-3s. Most titanium drivers with graphite shafts will be adequate when you are just starting out.

Are your irons some sort of cavity back? If so, they will do fine.

You don't mention any fairway woods, hybrids, or a putter. If you don't have any of these, I would suggest an inexpensive hybrid or 2 to use for long fairway shots. Most amatuers don't hit 3 irons or 4 irons well, me included. Good used ones abound.

Putters are so personal that other than saying that you should use whatever works for you, I can offer no advice.

Don't bankrupt yourself buying sticks, or you won't have any money left to play golf. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
One thing at a time. Start out with something you can just play with and upgrade as you find what you like and a deal on it. I have 1 new club in my entire bag. New? Retail? Forget it, my set would be a down payment on a house. I built it club, by club and had a great time doing so. Like a hobby within the hobby.

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
you want a new cheap reliable iron set. Find the old Nike CPR irons. Super game improvment with 3/4 Iron Hybrids and 5-PW full cav backs. You can get a good Nike Ignite driver (this is the gen right before the SQ) for around 100 on the bay and the wedges and putters arent out there either. You dont need to go for the newest and best some of the older stuff works plenty well for plenty less!

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Your game and swing will surely change/improve over the year. Save the money on expensive clubs, get a "game improvement" set and spend the money you saved on a series of lessons. You will find much more satisfaction in hitting a really nice shot with ok clubs than you ever will hitting an ok shot with really nice clubs. Lessons will help you acheive this, not clubs.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Buy a 23 - 25* and a 26 - 28* hybrid and drop your 3, 4 and possibly 5 irons. Either try and find them used, or get the older models (Halos, least generation Bafflers, Rescue Mids) that are now drifting around the $100 mark.

Get a decent 52* wedge to bridge the gap between your pitching and sand wedges.

Then, as you start to play more, start to think about what clubs you use the most, and upgrade in that kind of priority. For me it was getting those hybrids (replacing up to my 6 iron) then some good wedges.

After a few months with that I upgraded my driver (I needed to do that again a few months later when my natural individual swing really started to appear) and a good putter. I wouldn't do either of those things before you really know what your swing/stroke is doing as they'll be expensive and are the most likely parts of your game to change as you get better.

The last thing I changed were my irons as my old ones did the job I needed, and again I really wanted to know my game better before I dropped that much cash.

For me getting those hybrids and some usable wedges was the key thing to keeping me in the game as there was nothing more frustrating than those second, third, fourth and even fifth shots up onto the green! Once I had those covered I really got going, and could upgrade everything else slowly as I understood my game better.

That's how I did it, anyway!

My Name is Nate

Yah Shoor Yoo Betcha
Jan 29, 2007
Pretty much everything in my sig I bought this offseason.

Driver - 109
3w - 120
3h - 150
4-pw - 330 (from global golf)
wedges - 110
putter - 180

Total cost: $999 While I could have probably shopped and saved more and/or gone with a couple cheaper options, I think I put together a really nice set and it is considerably cheaper than your 2k - 2500.

Another option would be to have a local clubmaker build you a set from components. Lyle can probably give much better info on that then I could.

aceillini

Long live "THE CHIEF"
Aug 23, 2006
I would go to the golf stores used section and build from there.Good deals to be had.If you want new quality clubs at a good price look at Nickent,Tour Edge,Adams or Snake Eyes.Good clubs all and I am sure a set can be had for less than 1000 bag ,taxes and all.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I dont mind spending the $2500 if I know I will stay in golf.... but I would like to try it for a year... another option I was looking at is playing with my set I have now, and replaceing club by club throughout the year.....

i dont like buying cheap stuff though.... My friend told my about Hierko clubs.... they have a cool website, but that means nothing....

I would like to be able to get a complete set(3-pw(with hybrids) driver, sw,lw,ect... I have a putter I love though:)

Have you looked into a place like Solid Rock Golf online? You can get custom built clubs for a fraction of what you would pay off the shelf for the "name" brands. And they are good clubs. I have one wedge from him with another on order, and I also bought my 5W there. The prices are good and Christian will work with you to get you the best gear for your game. There are plenty of custom builders, I just happen to have bought from SRG and like the stuff I've gotten.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
In my opinion there is no reason to for a beginner or even most average golfers to spend $2500 on a set of clubs. I would go with something more middle of the line and build your set a little at a time. That is what I did and I have a pretty decent set of clubs that really work well for me. I would first start with a set of irons and then work on the hybrids, woods, wedges, and putter next.

Look for some good used game improvement irons at Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, etc. and Ebay. There are also some good deals to be had on this forum.

There are also some great deals from one of our sponsers Global Golf. Check out the bargain barrel they have.
Bargain Barrel of Mens Right Hand Discount Closeout and Used Golf Club Equipment at GlobalGolf.com

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
This is a screaming good deal that should work for a new player. The plus is that when you are ready to upgrade, you might get some resale value. ADAMS GOLF- TIGHT LIES GT3 IRONS STEEL **FREE SW & LW!!** - Rock Bottom Golf - Discount Golf Clubs, New Golf Clubs and Equipment from TaylorMade, Adams Golf, Mizuno, Tommy Armour, Ram, Hippo, Wilson, Nike, Bag Boy and Ogio.

The advice on the CPR's is great too. I shoot around 100 and they do what I want. They are heavier than many other clubs so I don't think that they are a good fit for a small man or a woman.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.