• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Way to Get Out of a Slump

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I'm a senior player that used to have a single digit index (7.5). About two years ago a pinched nerve in my neck and a right rotator cuff tear temporarily derailed my game. By making some swing changes and relying more on my chipping and putting I managed to get back to showing some semblance of talent and scoring in the low 80s. However, for the last month my game has hit the skids. I know it's Winter here in NC and the weather makes scoring more difficult. I'm trying to practice when I can and made a few equipment adjustments to help me get back to shooting in the low 80s. My question is: what do you do when you're in a slump?

Last edited:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I'm a senior player that used to have a single digit index (7.5). About two years ago a pinched nerve in my neck and a right rotator cuff tear temporarily derailed my game. By making some swing changes and relying more on my chipping and putting I managed to get back to showing some semblance of talent and scoring in the low 80s. However, for the last month my game has hit the skids. I know it's Winter here in NC and the weather makes scoring more difficult. I'm trying to practice when I can and made a few equipment adjustments to help me get back to shooting in the low 80s. My question is: what do you do when you're in a slump?
I just play to enjoy the game (senior player as well, here). Slumps come and go and I just play through them knowing that it's temporary. I get more out of the camaraderie and the challenge than I worry about my scoring. If you're really worried about it, go to the range and try to nut it out. If you're REALLY worried about it, see a teaching pro.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I just play to enjoy the game (senior player as well, here). Slumps come and go and I just play through them knowing that it's temporary. I get more out of the camaraderie and the challenge than I worry about my scoring. If you're really worried about it, go to the range and try to nut it out. If you're REALLY worried about it, see a teaching pro.
Good advice. I guess the older I get the less patience I have for poor play. You're right. There are worse things that can happen to a seventy year old than shooting a couple of 92s. Thanks!

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Good advice. I guess the older I get the less patience I have for poor play. You're right. There are worse things that can happen to a seventy year old than shooting a couple of 92s. Thanks!
I probably don't like playing poorly any more than you do, and playing badly several rounds in a row still bothers me........I just let 'em go. A short memory is a good thing!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
In our group of seniors, it seems like was pass around the "frustration card". One of us will hit the skids and act like we are just taking up the game. In a few days... sometimes even a couple weeks... it will come together again and we will be fine. The gentleman I played with this morning has been getting really frustrated. At 79, he's shot his age many times. The past couple of weeks, he hasn't broken 80. This morning... he shot 78. The smile was back!
At our age, we are so blessed to be able to play this game. How many folks are unable to even dream of playing golf due to physical or financial issues. Heck! I woke up this morning! Lots of others my age didn't. I played golf this morning! How many people my age are looking out the window of a nursing home. I will play this oft frustrating game as long as I can get a club on the ball.... no matter the score! Slumps are evil. But, we will work through them.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Thanks! You guys are inspiring. My wife always tell me I ought to be happy just to still be playing at my age. Still it's frustrating to not play like you know you can. I know at our age scoring all comes down to the short game. A three foot putt counts the same as a 300 yard drive and a birdie on a 380 yard par four with a driver, a three wood and a 10 foot putt beats a par made by Tiger Woods.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
Thanks! You guys are inspiring. My wife always tell me I ought to be happy just to still be playing at my age. Still it's frustrating to not play like you know you can. I know at our age scoring all comes down to the short game. A three foot putt counts the same as a 300 yard drive and a birdie on a 380 yard par four with a driver, a three wood and a 10 foot putt beats a par made by Tiger Woods.
The only way this game will frustrate you is if you let it! Pretend you don't care and pretty soon you won't, and the game will be more fun. Remember, the Golf Gods hate us!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've been in the short game funk for a couple weeks. My drives are usually a minimum of 10 yards past all except one other in the group. I've had more perfect drives squandered than I can count! As you say, it is the short game. If I could putt, I could be dangerous. But... it'll come back.
Off the top of my head, I can count four of our group who have gone through slumps in the past few weeks. Every one of us feel the game beginning to go sideways. Typical reaction is to begin over-thinking our game. "Paralysis through over-analysis". We begin steering the ball... swinging easier... swinging harder... moving the ball up... moving the ball back... standing closer to the ball... standing farther from the ball... I believe it was Harvey Pennik who said, "Take ONE Aspirin, not the whole bottle!" Once we relax and just return to playing the game it is amazing how quick it will return.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.