• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best way to go about becoming a Golf Pro?

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Hey guys,
What is the best way to go about becoming a golf pro. I know there is the "San Diego Golf Academy" and the "Professional Golfers Career College" Is there any other way to go about this and if not which of these two would be the better option.

I found a site that I think was attached to the PGA website that explained another way to go about it such as interning with a course and completing the Player Ability Test but I cannot find the site so if you are familiar with this particular site if you could link it that would be great.

Any other advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rosmo

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hey guys,
What is the best way to go about becoming a golf pro. I know there is the "San Diego Golf Academy" and the "Professional Golfers Career College" Is there any other way to go about this and if not which of these two would be the better option.

I found a site that I think was attached to the PGA website that explained another way to go about it such as interning with a course and completing the Player Ability Test but I cannot find the site so if you are familiar with this particular site if you could link it that would be great.

Any other advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rosmo
Send a PM to Crossfire. He graduated from the PGCC in Orlando recently.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Go to a Monday qualifer. Qualify. Then win PGA event. You are a pro. Easy as pie in 5 rounds.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Send a PM to Crossfire. He graduated from the PGCC in Orlando recently.
Great advice. Crossfire just finished up the process a while back and is currently apprenticing. Another ST'er to ask would be BStone who is a pro at a club and may have some advice as well. If you want to try over in Europe, Charnockpro would probably have the most info.

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
I've asked the same question! I didn't like the responses so I figured it out myself! First, I practiced and practiced and practiced. Secondly, I bought all new clubs as the first 9 sets were obviously defective. Once I got set number 10, I practiced some more...EVERYDAY. I hate to sound like a broken record but practice is the key! Finally...yes finally, after investing thousands of dollars in new, non-defective clubs, and practicing hundreds and hundreds of hours, I was finally ready to be a club pro! Know what happened?!?! The 8 courses I applied at weren't impressed with my 24 handicap and didn't hire me! WTF!

OP
Rosmo

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Is there a way I can do it without leaving where I live now in Colorado?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Thought there was a PGA School in Central Southern Colorado?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
You can simply declare yourself a pro, enter tournaments and accept money or teach and get paid for it. That would make you a golf professional in the eyes of the USGA.

To become a PGA Professional, pass your PAT and then become an apprentice at a local course. Complete the bookwork and required credits. Build your reputation in the PGA section that you are working in and attempt to be elected as a class A PGA professional.

🔥 Latest posts