• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Better irons for a 18 hdcp?

will54

Jul 26, 2010
I need some help on a purchase that I plan on making very soon and I figured this was the right place to get knowledgeable advice. Anyway I am 31 and 6'00" 160lbs and am looking at a used set of some titleist 775 cb or 755 irons. I was just wondering, since I'm about a18- 20 hdcp would I be better off with the more forgiving 775's or would I be better off with the more eye pleasing and versatile set of 755's.I like the fact that these are forged (even if they are SS) and of course Titleist.
I am rather open minded though and am also intrigued by the Srixon and Bridgestones (not to mention the beautiful Japanese clubs) and am wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I am looking more at feel, and some forgiveness over distance and shotshaping at this point in time and well I just need to replace these awful Dunlops. Any advice would be appreciated,thanks.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Id go with the Srixons, Bridgestones or even Mizunos. IMO they are just better irons than Titleists. I used to play Titleists, but I find the Japanese irons to just perform better.
Even at an 18 handicap, you will probably struggle a bit with Titleists. Forgivness isnt something they engineer into their clubs.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Based on my experience & your handicap, I'd say you're good enough to play the 755 irons. They're very much underrated and would be quite cheap on the second hand market. Titleist has appeared to have re-hashed much of the 755 model in its 710cb irons. Of course, the 755 has the wider square grooves & the new models have the crap narrow grooves. Hope that helps.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
If you don't want to spend a fortune, look up for Wilson Staff last irons the Ci7, Di7 line, or even the new "9" lines if you want to spend a little bit more. I play Ci7s and I'm exactly in your handicap line and they work absolutely perfect...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
If you don't want to spend a fortune, look up for Wilson Staff last irons the Ci7, Di7 line, or even the new "9" lines if you want to spend a little bit more. I play Ci7s and I'm exactly in your handicap line and they work absolutely perfect...

Yep, Xamilo is right with that. Don't overlook the Wilson Staff Ci line.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I need some help on a purchase that I plan on making very soon and I figured this was the right place to get knowledgeable advice. Anyway I am 31 and 6'00" 160lbs and am looking at a used set of some titleist 775 cb or 755 irons. I was just wondering, since I'm about a18- 20 hdcp would I be better off with the more forgiving 775's or would I be better off with the more eye pleasing and versatile set of 755's.I like the fact that these are forged (even if they are SS) and of course Titleist.
I am rather open minded though and am also intrigued by the Srixon and Bridgestones (not to mention the beautiful Japanese clubs) and am wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I am looking more at feel, and some forgiveness over distance and shotshaping at this point in time and well I just need to replace these awful Dunlops. Any advice would be appreciated,thanks.

When I was around an 18 cap I bought a brand new set of Ping G2s. Fit and everything. I played them for about a year until I found an old Mizuno MP in my golfing buddy's garage. I hit it once and knew what I had been missing out on. I moved to the Mizuno MP 60s after demoing a set for about 5 days. I've played them down to an 8.8 cap.

That being said, there are people I've played with who benefitted greatly from playing a set of G2s and they love them. So I guess what I am saying is there are so many variables that go into this decision. And the number one variable that only you can answer is do they fit your mind's eye. You HAVE to be very comfortable with what you see when you look down at the ball. And there is no way to know this without a few demos. We will do our best at throwing out some ideas on clubs you might like, but spend the money to test drive some irons before you purchase a new set. It will save you money in the long run.

OP
W

will54

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the feed back. I really would love some Mizunos though probably would go with the MX series if I do. Still not sure which direction I'm leaning but will check out the Wilsons for sure since I do have a Wilson tw9 wedge and like it. As for demoing, its an option but not a great one since there are no pure golf stores in my area and the sporting goods store (scheels) and courses have rather limited options. Bames you live in ND, I'm in Bismarck.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Thanks for the feed back. I really would love some Mizunos though probably would go with the MX series if I do. Still not sure which direction I'm leaning but will check out the Wilsons for sure since I do have a Wilson tw9 wedge and like it. As for demoing, its an option but not a great one since there are no pure golf stores in my area and the sporting goods store (scheels) and courses have rather limited options. Bames you live in ND, I'm in Bismarck.

Haha - no way. I'm in Bismarck too. I have demoed a number of drivers from them. They also have a bunch of 6 irons that are $9. Otherwise I have just ordered demo clubs online before too. Thats how I ended up with my MP 60s. We'll have to play sometime if you're interested!

OP
W

will54

Jul 26, 2010
Haha - no way. I'm in Bismarck too. I have demoed a number of drivers from them. They also have a bunch of 6 irons that are $9. Otherwise I have just ordered demo clubs online before too. Thats how I ended up with my MP 60s. We'll have to play sometime if you're interested!
I'm up for a round. What courses do you prefer? I'm more of a Tom O,Pebble Creek and Prairie West than Hawktree at this poin,t though I've only played it once. That course is not made for a guy with a hdcp in the high teens or low twenties.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I'm up for a round. What courses do you prefer? I'm more of a Tom O,Pebble Creek and Prairie West than Hawktree at this poin,t though I've only played it once. That course is not made for a guy with a hdcp in the high teens or low twenties.

I like Hawktree, but honestly have fun playing everywhere. I'm considering playing this Saturday if it works out. How does that sound? Hawktree is a different animal thats for sure. Some days I'll break 40 there, and every once in a while it kicks my trash (ask Rockford haha). I think Prairie West is OK, but for some reason it doesn't grab my attention that much really. I must like to play courses with elevation change or something.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country

Hawktree will improve your game though I can testify to that.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
You should demo a set of Mizuno MX-200s. They are super easy to hit, but they are forged so they still have great feel. I think you could hit a lower set of MPs. Im not much better than you (12 handicap) and I dont have any problems with my MP-32s.

OP
W

will54

Jul 26, 2010
You should demo a set of Mizuno MX-200s. They are super easy to hit, but they are forged so they still have great feel. I think you could hit a lower set of MPs. Im not much better than you (12 handicap) and I dont have any problems with my MP-32s.
I was looking at the mx200. I wish I would have bought them when they were on sale at golf galaxy. Though I would love a mixed set maybe some mx 200 3-6 and maybe a mp52 7-PW. I'd love to get a Mizuno Mpt-10 in the 52-53 degree range as well to go along with my Srixon W706 56 degree and my scratch jlm-sfu 60 degree.

🔥 Latest posts