• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Better putting yesterday evening...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We went out at 3:00 yesterday afternoon. It was beautiful and we are supposed to have a tropical storm this weekend...so I think I got in my round for the week unless this storm in the Gulf turns away from us.

I played better and came in with a 79. There were several highlights for me:

1) Better putting. Right before I putted, I squeezed the putter a bit more firmly. I sunk a 35 footer for birdie, a 12 footer for a sandie and another 15 footer to save par. I missed only one putt of less than 5 feet.

2) I hit a horrible shot on 12, followed by a heroic shot. 12 is a short dogleg par 4...In the "crook" of this dogleg is the 15th green.

I hit a "popupskyshot" with my five wood off the tee. The ball went about 75 yards and was under a tree with low hanging branches. The best direction for me to go was toward the 15th green. I tried my Sonartec 14 as it was the lowest lofted club (besides Driver) I had. My goal was to hit it into the 15th fairway and approach 12 green from there.

The ball came out and flew toward 15 green and landed in a greenside bunker.

I am now in a greenside bunker next to 15th green - but unfortunately - I am playing the 12th hole.

All of our greenside bunkers have some depth to them and are usually 2-6 feet below the green height. I go into the bunker and find the following: I am approximately 140 to the pin on 12 green. The bunker is only medium deep but I have quite a bit of lip to clear to get it out. Since I am two in the bunker anyway, I decide to Go for it...

I take out a 7 iron and strike it. It barely barely clears the lip and then I see it approaching a pine guarding the 12 green....if it will....only.....clear....the pine.

It does and lands 10 feet from the pin. After all of this - I am hoping for sandie par. (My opponents look like somebody just stuck a fork up their butt).

This putt is a very tricky downhiller, breaking left to right. Cannot, cannot be agressive with it or it will roll way past - even off the green. So the Only putt that will go in is the one with the ideal combination of pace and line.

I missed it barely on the left but made my bogey. I halved the hole with the other team.

No Doubles yesterday...always makes be smile. Also, got my new index by email from GHIN and I am down to 8.9 this month...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Good round, nice story.

What are the details on your trip to Nashville? Happening? A wash?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Bravo said:
This putt is a very tricky downhiller, breaking left to right. Cannot, cannot be agressive with it or it will roll way past - even off the green. So the Only putt that will go in is the one with the ideal combination of pace and line.

I missed it barely on the left but made my bogey. I halved the hole with the other team.
QUOTE]

Damn Bravo. That would have been some 4. Wish you had made that sucka.

I sneaked off at lunchtime and went to a local proshop to check out putters. I tried to new steel 2 ball. Holed 9 15ft putts in a row, get this, by looking at the hole. It's a bit spooky.

I think Ima going to have to 'ho me a 2 ball. Funny thing is that outside lining it up, I am not actually looking at the putter. It could be a jam jar tied to a stick. I just know th eball is going in. And the 2 ball steel has a lovely roll off it.

What's the going eBay rate for one, does anyone know?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Way to go Bravo. That's great putting, and a hell of a save.

I love the holes where your opponents all think they have you nailed and then you manage to tie or win. This happened on a par three recently where the other guy was on the green putting for birdie and I was 10 yds. left of the green. I hit a great chip and made par and he three putted for bogie.

Priceless. :beach3:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
IrishGolfer said:
Bravo said:
What's the going eBay rate for one, does anyone know?

I just sold a regular White Hot 2-ball for $105USD, but i've seen others go for as high as 125USD. The steel's will go for more, being newer and the next "cure" for just about everyone right now. :p

If i see something cheap, i'll fire it your way...

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Off topic a bit, but this caught my eye looking for a steel for IG.

This is what I wished I would have had in my Two Ball. The filled bottom gives a better CG on the putter and puts a better roll on it. I found the stock Two Ball to be way too light.

R35
filled two ball.jpg

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:

This is what I wished I would have had in my Two Ball. The filled bottom gives a better CG on the putter and puts a better roll on it. I found the stock Two Ball to be way too light.

R35

So how long before the #2 is......... stolen? hehe. :p

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nah. The Two Ball experiment is over.

#2 till I die.....or it's stolen.... :p

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rockford35 said:

R35

Cheers Rock
I have tried the std. 2 ball and agree it was a bit light. This is quite a bit heavier, or perhaps that was just my perception.

Ball rolled off real nice on it though. I tried a Futuru, Red X, a few other SC's, a quite nice Ping Answer but with a dual material, and a Cobra. Nothing compaed to the 2 ball tho.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
IG, I'm using a White Steel 2-ball Blade now...I agree with you on the weight, feels much better than a regular 2-ball.

Now if only I could putt with it...(it's not the putter)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Silver said:
IG, I'm using a White Steel 2-ball Blade now...I agree with you on the weight, feels much better than a regular 2-ball.

Now if only I could putt with it...(it's not the putter)

Hey Silver, I'm in the market.

Now all I need to do is put you off yours, so you will sell it to me at an incredible knock down, bargain basement, 2nd hand once in a lifetime, deal of your life,

You'd be much better off selling yours and using the money to buy yourself a good driver. You already have the Monza, right? It's much better, especially in Canada. I hear 2 balls only really work on windy links in Northern Ireland.

I suppose I could let you sell me it. ;)

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Hah, nice try.

A good driver? A Launcher 460 10.5 with a NV and a Mizuno MP-001 460 8.5 NV aren't considered good drivers? And I turfed the Mezza Monza as soon as it arrived...hated it. It was supposed to be a Monza but they sent the wrong one so I sold it to my friend.

I do have an older Wilson Deep Red #1, which is actually quite a decent putter, but I don't think I can go back to a non-face balanced putter like that now.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Good round, nice story.

What are the details on your trip to Nashville? Happening? A wash?

Yes it ended up as a washout...the wife and kids went there but only for two days. They are back now (along with the noise).

I need to make a commitment to taking a day off sometime in the near future so we can get together and play...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Bravo said:
Yes it ended up as a washout...the wife and kids went there but only for two days. They are back now (along with the noise).

I need to make a commitment to taking a day off sometime in the near future so we can get together and play...
With the forcast you are ganna have down there this weekend, this is a good time. Come on up and get in some good mountain golf...

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
With the forcast you are ganna have down there this weekend, this is a good time. Come on up and get in some good mountain golf...

I would love to but it would be the end of my marriage...Let me look at the calendar in the next couple of weeks and find a better time.

🔥 Latest posts