• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beware of old geezers who play fast

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Yesterday, I had a coupon for a free round of golf and cart at Midland Valley Country Club, Midland Valley Country Club | Aiken Golf Courses | Augusta Golf Courses the site of my next tourney (next month). As I have never played it, the GF and I went to see what was up. GF drove the cart.

It's fairly old course, built in 1961, and the clubhouse shows it's age. OK, but could definitely use some renovation. Nice driving range, and very large, overseeded putting green.

The course maxes out at about 6850 yards, so I played the whites at 6200 yards. Dormant bermuda fairways, greens were overseeded and very slopy, mostly from back to front. The whole course was very hilly and lined with large pine trees.

Anyway, after warming up, I pulled up to the 1st tee, where there was a group of 4 teenagers farting around and 2 older guys standing there looking askance. They had their bags on Speed Carts, so they were members. This course allows only members to walk.

I said Hello to one of the teenagers and asked them when was their teetime. When he answered, I knew we were in trouble, as they were all Irish Travelers. If you don't know about this clan who makes it's home in Murphy Village, you should Google them.

Then I walked over to the older guys and asked them the same. They were after me, so I asked them to join me and they agreed.

The teenagers finally hit all of their balls into the woods and drove off, and spent 10 minutes and about 5 more strokes hitting back to the short grass. Tom, who was 58, and Doug who was 66, and me (56) followed with decent drives down the middle. They had fairway woods in to the elevated green, which they proceeded to hit in regulation, and I foozled mine, then wedged to the green. I had a long par putt, which I missed, and they both made 20 footers for birdies.

It was like that all damn day.

These 2 geezers could play some stick. Their putting was amazing. Twenty and 30 footers dropped routinely. I couldn't buy a putt. I won 1 hole all day: a 210 yard par 3 where they both missed the green into bunkers and I made par.

Doug, the older and better of the 2, routinely outdrove me by 10 yards, and I was hitting it well, for me. I later found out that they were both retired, and played 300 rounds a year. Doug was pretty near scratch, I think

The teenagers went back to the clubhouse after the 1st hole. WTF? So we had a relatively clear shot for a while. These geezers played fast, too. I guess when you only have to hit 72 shots a round, it takes less time. Total time for 18 holes on a hilly course with 2 old geezers walking: 3 hours and 15 minutes.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Thats insane, the fastest i have ever seen a 66 yo move on the golf course was when his push cart started rolling down a hill, and that was ONLY because his beer was on it.

Course i play at Muni's so there arnt a whole lot of really good golfers there...(hence why i am there :))

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My new neighbor, retired, plays that much golf and claims he's about scratch. I'm a little intimidated and don't know if I'll get out to play with him or not but I see a rout in the future. :D

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I'm 32....and "can" walk 18 but choose not to....I played saturday with my uncle (55 and fat) and one of my buddies, he is 60 and in shape...walks all the time. We played 18 in 3 hours...and he walked the entire time.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
What does "overseeded" mean in reference to greens? Is that a good thing?

Around here it means that the Bermuda greens have been seeded with a winter grass seed, such as winter rye. Bermuda grass is typically dormant here from about November to May and turns very brown.

Overseeding allows the greens to grow during the winter, and be cut, which means a more consistent surface for winter play.

Without overseeding, the greens surface is hard and matted. I like overseeded greens, but the ones I played on Saturday had been cut way too short IMHO. They were super fast compared to the ones I played on Sunday.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
We played on Bermuda fairways in Kentucky last March and it was yellow when we got there. The pro said it takes a couple warm weeks before it turns green. When we left after three days it was nearly half green (was in the 80's). The greens were nice and green though and I think they were also Bermuda.

:)

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online