• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

BIG ASS FISH

todmun

May 22, 2006
This isnt me its a buddy of mine. The fish is a rainbow trout,13+lbs. and was caught on 6lb test line out of the Farmington River,Ct BRIANS FISH.jpg
BRIANS FISH.jpg

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
There have been over a hundred rainbow trout 15lb+ pulled out of Lake Diefenbaker here. 13lb+ is old hat.

Still a big fish tho.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
WOW!

Now that's a Rainbow.

Rock - trolling for trout in a lake doesn't count. This thing was caught in a river. The op says 6lb test so I'm assuming he was using a spinning rod *sigh*

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
Rock - trolling for trout in a lake doesn't count. This thing was caught in a river. The op says 6lb test so I'm assuming he was using a spinning rod *sigh*

You fly guys are all the same. "Purists". :D

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice. The biggest trout I ever caught was only around the 5-6lb. range. I used to fish a lot but not much anymore. I just went on Sun. morning though, they were jumping everywhere out the window. (we live right on the bay). I thought it was a school of Stripers. I had a couple reels in my truck so I went up the road and bought a cheap rod. Well, 3 10inch snapper blues later I had used up all my line untangling birdsnests. Oh well, it was fun.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
ezra76 said:
I thought it was a school of Stripers.

I saw a school of strippers up in Montreal a few weeks ago. Man I love that town :D

OP
T

todmun

May 22, 2006
Dont know how many of you are familiar with the mouth of the Connecticut River but a couple years ago the mouth of the river, all the way to the train bridge, was filled with blues and stripers. Everywhere you looked or threw your line you'd get one. It was fun ass hell and tiring too. And I dont mean schoolies or snappers either!

OP
T

todmun

May 22, 2006
oh and that fish in the picture was obviously a breeder that was released when stocking(you can tell by the worn edges of the fins from them brushing the sides of the tanks). And it was a spinning rod with rough rider lure. He was camping and left all his stuff there to get the fish to the nearest bait shop for documentaion but it wasnt a record.

OP
T

todmun

May 22, 2006
And on another side not, The guy in the pic is 2 time world champion arm wrestler. He won his 1st world title 2 days after he turned 19 in Switzerland. The 2nd was in London. He doesnt look it but he is a strong
mother!(and one of best friends)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
todmun said:
Dont know how many of you are familiar with the mouth of the Connecticut River but a couple years ago the mouth of the river, all the way to the train bridge, was filled with blues and stripers. Everywhere you looked or threw your line you'd get one. It was fun ass hell and tiring too. And I dont mean schoolies or snappers either!

I wonder if it was the same year.... A few years back I was fishing with my buddy at the lighthouse in Watch Hill RI. There were like 3 schools of stripers that met up and the water was solid fish. Thousands. I actually skipped a popper off the top of a wave and a fish shot out and grabbed it in midair. We pretty much got worn out after reeling in and unhooking nearly 2 dozen each. It's amazing how far some of the bigger ones get up into the freshwater rivers. I used to catch them miles upriver in Ashaway, RI.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
ezra76 said:
I wonder if it was the same year.... A few years back I was fishing with my buddy at the lighthouse in Watch Hill RI. There were like 3 schools of stripers that met up and the water was solid fish. Thousands. I actually skipped a popper off the top of a wave and a fish shot out and grabbed it in midair. We pretty much got worn out after reeling in and unhooking nearly 2 dozen each. It's amazing how far some of the bigger ones get up into the freshwater rivers. I used to catch them miles upriver in Ashaway, RI.

I remember visiting my cousin up in Maryland, and he took me to the Rappahannock (sp.) River. We hit a lot of his hot spots and caught a bunch of 10-15 lb. Stripers (called Rockfish there) on 8-lb. tackle. What an absolute blast. Those suckers hit like a freight train and don't quit easily. I know Stripers get big. I imagine catching 30-lb. fish on 20-lb. tackle would be a real blast.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
When my college daughter was about 12 years old we went on a charter boat on lake Michigan and she caught a 43", 32 lb. lake trout. Now there was a big (fat) fish!!

Then we lived on the Fox river and used to drop a line while sitting in the front yard after work. Same daughter caught a 5 lb. bass.

I went up to Canada many years ago and got so spoiled fishing I gave it up in Wisconsin. Monsters as fast as you can reel them in in Canada. Sit and twiddle your thumbs in Wisconsin.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online