• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Big Break question

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
In the speed golf challenge Double D holes out with a putt on the green without removing the pin. Isn't this a 2 stroke penalty??? Or is it OK if ball goes down before hitting pin???? How far down does it need to be???The rules of golf are so convoluted for me at times I feel I need a golf lawyer to play legal round.

Has anyone tried to play old time rules??? If it lays you must play it. If you touch it PENALTY. And on green a ball can snooker another ball from the hole. It might be interesting.

Anyway what is the ruling????

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
In a normal round it is a 2 stroke penalty. They were allowed to leave it in for speed golf.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Very clever strategy that final group used, I thought - using the shorter hitter off the tee so the ball would fall right next to the box for the second hitter, and save them running up the fairway.

An even more interesting choice by the first group to use Valeria as their putter too - didn't she totally freeze every time she had to make an important putt in her appearances on the show before?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Man is Tommy a puss. AT least he manned up and did great in the elimination but c'mon, Bri aint that sweet.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I hate to say cheating, I rewinded it and watched it in slo-mo on my Tivo, but DD stopped the ball while it was still rolling. I must have watched it 15 times, and every time including the first time at normal speed it is quite obvious he redirects the ball just a little. The only thing that makes it a little sketchy is that the camera guy made a little "bump" with the camera at the EXACT same time. I wonder if the "bump" was put in post-production.

That said, Laura did deserve to go. If you can't get up and down around the green at least ONCE out of 4 tries, where you get to PLACE the ball, it's time to go home.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The 5 big breakers left all have some game. It should be pretty tight the rest of the way. No Nickies to weed out. I thought Tommy was going to be the one to beat, but he lost his man card after last week's display. He still has a ton of game, but needs to get over Bri for a few days if he wants to win the tour exemption. So far, Double D has been backing up his mouth with his game so he is going to be a factor as well. Ashley is playing better than Mike and Dave right now, so I am thinking one of the Big Break II guys will be heading home next week.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The 5 big breakers left all have some game. It should be pretty tight the rest of the way. No Nickies to weed out. I thought Tommy was going to be the one to beat, but he lost his man card after last week's display. He still has a ton of game, but needs to get over Bri for a few days if he wants to win the tour exemption. So far, Double D has been backing up his mouth with his game so he is going to be a factor as well. Ashley is playing better than Mike and Dave right now, so I am thinking one of the Big Break II guys will be heading home next week.

I frankly can't believe that Dave is still in it. But he's done what he needed to do. But I think he's gone next.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I frankly can't believe that Dave is still in it. But he's done what he needed to do. But I think he's gone next.

I think the thing with Dave is that the way the early rounds work really suits him - a series of challenges that require the player to manufacture shots and find ways to make up and downs from a variety of lies. That seems to be his game to a tee! He seems the kind of player that doesn't have a complete tee to green game, but relies on creativity to find a way to get the ball in the hole. That's what the challenges are all about.

What I find strange is that I'm not sure why being able to complete their challenges equates to 'the best golfer' or the golfer most likely to compete on a proper tour event. I'd love to see what would happen if they took all the contestants after the series had ended and made them play a proper 4 day, 72 hole tournament between themselves. Who would win that?

If I wanted someone on my team in a scramble or a best-ball tournament then I'd pick Dave in a heartbeat, but if I had to bet on one of them in a full 4 day tournament?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think the thing with Dave is that the way the early rounds work really suits him - a series of challenges that require the player to manufacture shots and find ways to make up and downs from a variety of lies. That seems to be his game to a tee! He seems the kind of player that doesn't have a complete tee to green game, but relies on creativity to find a way to get the ball in the hole. That's what the challenges are all about.

What I find strange is that I'm not sure why being able to complete their challenges equates to 'the best golfer' or the golfer most likely to compete on a proper tour event. I'd love to see what would happen if they took all the contestants after the series had ended and made them play a proper 4 day, 72 hole tournament between themselves. Who would win that?

If I wanted someone on my team in a scramble or a best-ball tournament then I'd pick Dave in a heartbeat, but if I had to bet on one of them in a full 4 day tournament?

Seems to me that BB is not so much about "who is the most complete golfer"; rather it's about "who can consistently make shots under pressure. it would be nice to see a BB start with a nine-hole stableford tourney, with the top half of the field immune and "on to the next show..."

Good points about Dave, although I think I would take DD as a scramble partner. He likes nothing better than being the guy who bails out the rest of the team with his superior talent. The only problem would be that I would kill him sometime around the eighth hole, after he's told the team seventy-five times that we need to "step it up".

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Spot on, Sandy. That desription decribes Dave perfectly.

I agree Eracer, Double D has the most game but I would need a mute button for him by the turn. :D

Tradionally, the final four play 9 hole match play and the final two play 18 hole match play. Should be one more round of challanges to get rid of the 5th player, so Dave may live to match play. I still say Dave or Mike is next to go unless one of the other 3 have a total meltdown.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
There are some very good golfers left and it should be a great competition the rest of the way. If Tommy can man up I think he can win it. In my opinion he has the best game of anybody left. Don't count out Ashley or DD though.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The more I think about Tuesdays epsiode the more I cant stand Tommy the ***** 2 gloves. Him getting on Don for what Don might say was purely comical, this coupled with his reaction to Bri leaving shows me that Tommy has the mental toughness of a grapefruit.
I hope he leaves next week and takes his crybaby attitude with him.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
How long you been married, Lyle? :D

Seven years this August, and no itch. Hopefully she doesnt have the itch but who knows, they dont allow cell phones on our course so I dont have the chance to ask LOL.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online