• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Big time choke

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I played the season opener tourney in the Augusta eGolf Amateur Tour.............

and I choked big time. :dead:

I went to the first tee full of confidence, as in the last two months I had played this easy course several times, posting a 79 and an 80.

But tournament golf is different.

On the 1st hole I hit a perfect drive, had a PW in and landed it pin high, but a hard fast green left a 15 footer. My PING A-Blade came through, and it dropped for birdie. :)

Then the wheels came off.

On the 2nd tee, I hit what I thought was a good drive, but slightly pulled and it landed 1 foot OB left. Triple bogey.

Next few holes I parred, bogeyed, parred, bogeyed...... anyway I carded a 43 on the front. Not too bad, and I was leading my 4some by a couple. Plenty of time to make it up on the back.

Wrong. I should have eaten something at the turn, but this course has very little edible food. Next tourney I'm packing some protein bars. As I ran out of steam, I put one in the water and another one OB on the back, making triple bogeys both times as I tried stupid shots to make up. Dunb, dumb, dumb.

My iron game sucked big time, but my putting was good, with several one putts and only one 3 putt.

I ended up in 4th place out of 10 in my (B) flight, with a 93. :(

And, my birdie on #1 was erased in the skins by a new C flighter who made 4 birdies and 1 eagle, shooting an 80. His was the 2nd best score out of 30 players, only being surpassed by a 76 by a Champ flighter. Can anyone say: SANDBAGGER!!!!!

Next tourney in 2 weeks, at Aiken Golf Club, where I shot a smooth 105 last year. :eek:

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Bit harsh on yourself I think, sounds more like fatigue than choking.

At least you know where you are going wrong - ie trying miracle shots to make up for OB etc - which is half the battle. And get some food for heaven's sake.

Best get down the range and hit those irons and if you're putting holds up sure there's a sub-80 round the corner.

Hope you have a good season and keep us posted with your entertaining and semi-tragic write-ups.

Loy

Have you seen my ball?
Feb 9, 2009
There is something about my father that brings out the worse me

I love to play against him and I will kill him but we always bet on who can get the best TOTAL score the last hole or 3 holes and EVERY DAMN TIME he seems to beat me. I can't seem to make anything around 10-12 feet while he drains everything within 30 ft

It is absurd. I will end up shooting 76 and he will end up shooting 96 yet he ALWAYS BEATS ME in our bets

Arggghhhhh :bang:

Members online