• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Billiards Rules

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
My question, what rules do the majority of pool halls, leagues, professionals, etc follow? I'm looking for rules primarily for 8-ball, but everywhere on google has different varations of the rules. Is there an official rule book or something anywhere? I'm trying to hold a pool tournament in the near future, and it seems pretty important to find a good set of rules that make sense to play by.

Everytime I shoot pool with different people, there are ALWAYS arguements about every different varation of the rules, making the game not so enjoyable. I understand 'house' rules apply at a lot of places so if needed I could do that as a last resort.

Basically, what rules of 8-ball do you follow when you play?

I'm thinking about using only:
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/pdf/BCA8BallRules.pdf
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/pdf/BCAGeneralRules.pdf

But I'm open to other rules that are more acceptable of most people. I can't stand having arguments over these rules, especially when everybody thinks their way is *right* when it seems to really be a variation.

OP
P

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
I ran a league for 8 years, and we used BCA rules.

So you did follow the ball in hand rule on a scratch? That seems to be the one rule the BCA follows that people don't want to agree to for some reason.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Yep. Ball in hand.

Also, most people, especially when playing "bar pool," don't play "neutral after the break," meaning it doesn't matter what balls go in on the break, sides aren't determined until a legal shot is made after the break. That rule has also caused plenty of arguments.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
Yep. Ball in hand.

Also, most people, especially when playing "bar pool," don't play "neutral after the break," meaning it doesn't matter what balls go in on the break, sides aren't determined until a legal shot is made after the break. That rule has also caused plenty of arguments.

thats the way i have always played.untill you make a shot there is no sides.call your shots is another that i prefer to play.also 8 on the break is an automatic win unless you scratch then you lose. i was brought up playing bar pool.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
thats the way i have always played.untill you make a shot there is no sides.call your shots is another that i prefer to play.also 8 on the break is an automatic win unless you scratch then you lose. i was brought up playing bar pool.
BCA rule is "gentleman's call." If it's an obvious shot you don't call it, but if there is any question, you have to call the ball and the pocket. Doesn't matter how it gets there. BCA rule is 8-ball gets spotted if it goes down on the break.

The problem with "Bar Pool" is that there are 2,956,456 bars in this country (over 2,000,000 in Wisconsin alone...) and each one of them seems to have their own set of "rules."

The BCA is generally recognized as the ruling authority. APA is an alternate league, but doesn't sanction professional play like the BCA.

OP
P

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
Eracer another question (you've been great so far thanks a lot!)

If a player fails to hit an object ball of his own group, is it ball in hand? So if I'm solids and I hit a stripe first, the other team gets ball in hand? Or is it just loss of turn?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer another question (you've been great so far thanks a lot!)

If a player fails to hit an object ball of his own group, is it ball in hand? So if I'm solids and I hit a stripe first, the other team gets ball in hand? Or is it just loss of turn?
You must contact one of your balls first, and you must drive a ball to a rail, or into a pocket. Otherwise, it's a foul, and results in ball in hand.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online