• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bit of Advice?

Deej

Jul 20, 2006
Dont really know much about the loft etc on wedges as im pretty much just starting out.

But come across some Cleveland CG10 wedges in 52 56 and 60 degrees standard bounce loft and lie.

At the moment i just use the PW and SW from my 06 Callaway BBs for wedges, what benefits do the varying degrees etc give?

Thanks.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I'm actually new with wedges but here is what I learned...

52* - known as approach wedge or gap wedge. It's essentially for shots which are too short for your PW (47*) and too long for your SW (56*).

60* - known as the lob wedge. Ball just skys when hit, I seen a guy put sick backspin on the ball using this loft.

I asked some buddies what 2 to go with out of the 3 as a beginner, they recommened the 52* and 56*.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Deej, these are my thoughts - if you have about 3 swings with each loft (referencing a clock: a 7:30 backswing, 9:00, and 10:30) and you have 4 different wedges - you now have 12 possible shots to get to the green. Having more wedges has helped my game due to the fact that they fill distance gaps so well (ie going from a 2 to 140 yards with only two clubs requires more skill than filling the same distance with 4) because I am closer to the pin and have fewer putts now than before.

Note: Take the time to learn how to really use each wedge - know their typical carry and roll for each swing - or else they will cause more grief than relief. Nothing worse than flubbing a 60* lob wedge when you could have gotten closer putting just because you don't know how to hit it!

Happy hunting.

OP
D

Deej

Jul 20, 2006
Thats a very good way to think of it, thanks ^^.

Would you recommend getting all three or would 1 in particular benefit me better?

Also what are the Clevelands like? these are not my only option i just seen some for sale and dont even know the price yet, i hear the Callaway X-tours and the Titleist Vokeys are supposed to be good?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I play the Vokeys (52* 56* 60*), and really like their consistency, look, and feel. I have not played the CGs although many on this forum have and really like them. I might recommend the Mizunos as well. I play the MP 60 and am very impressed with their clubs. You need to hold them, swing them a few times, and chip a few balls. That will tell you much more than I can!

Good Luck, and good choices on wedges.

OP
D

Deej

Jul 20, 2006
Im going to take a trip to the range tomorow to see if they have any to try.

Ive spoke to the guy selling them and theyre in perfect condition, all three for 100 quid delivered, what you think? Im just waiting on pictures.

Theyre the Black Pearls aswell, BONUS!

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Deej, even if you fall in "love at first shot" take the time to try a few brands - it will be well worth it. Have fun and leave a review!

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
If this is an ebay deal i would make sure that they are genuine - as there are alot of fakes around right now. Just get him to confirm in an email to you that the clubs are not fake. If he doesn't reply - steer well clear!!

OP
D

Deej

Jul 20, 2006
Its from a car forum.

Hes selling quite a bit of stuff...

Set of Cleveland CG10 Wedges 52,56,60 degree, std bounce, loft, lie.

Set of Wilson Staff Fatshaft Irons 3- SW, std lie, loft and length

Taylor Made R580XD Driver 9.5 Degree, with Aldila NV65 Stiff Flex Shaft

Ping Hoofer Original Stand Bag in Navy (Rare) Complete with Cover.

Titleist X 58 Stand Bag in Yellow & Black (Couple months old) complete with cover and Titleist Double Canopy Umberella.

He says they are a season old with usual ball marks but no chips and the grooves are still sharp, pics are on their way so i will post them up here just to make sure as i have heard about some of the fakes from ebay. :smilie_cl

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Im going to take a trip to the range tomorow to see if they have any to try.

Ive spoke to the guy selling them and theyre in perfect condition, all three for 100 quid delivered, what you think? Im just waiting on pictures.

Theyre the Black Pearls aswell, BONUS!

See beware of fake clubs thread, the guy that sold Ezra the fake R7 also sells the CG10's and CG11's.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If they are used they are probably OK. It's the new stuff, especially when a seller has a bunch of the exact same item with a "stock photo".

As far as wedges, that combo sounds great. Having new wedges will encourage you to practice and learn to use them. I love playing around with my wedges. There are just so many different shots you can hit with them. I am learning to hit a flop shot now. I pulled it off twice today, once with a 50* and once with a 54*.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
As far as wedges go, I say go with whatever you like and there really is no best wedge(like every club really). I really don't like Clevelends, but many love them. However, I love TaylorMade TP Y-Cutters...*drool*

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
if you are new to the game, i.e., just started w/i the last few months,

use your pw and a 52. in general you might want the 52 when there is less green than fringe.

also, don't overlook the other irons around the green. if you have 8 feet of fringe and 50 feet of green, think 5 or 7 iron.

wedges are like good underwear, personal, feel dependent, and prized.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i've got a set of Pearl CG10s that i'd be willing to part with - if your deal fall through - they are used - except the 60 which is brand new.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Dont really know much about the loft etc on wedges as im pretty much just starting out.

But come across some Cleveland CG10 wedges in 52 56 and 60 degrees standard bounce loft and lie.

At the moment i just use the PW and SW from my 06 Callaway BBs for wedges, what benefits do the varying degrees etc give?

Thanks.

In my 20 years of golf I've bought 2 64 degree wedges and one 60 degree and finally decided that I don't need anything other than my Mizuno PW and SW that came with my set. I play to a decent standard and have no need for 4 wedges because I'm just not good enough to get the most out of them. Don't get suckered in to buying them just because everyone else has them, you might be better off having more woods in your bag or hybrids.

I reckon a lot of people shove 3/4 wedges in their bags because the pro's do. Think about what you need most. I don't see what is wrong with opening/closing the faces of your present wedges as I do, they are perfectly vapable of playing a variety of shots. Good luck anyway.

🔥 Latest posts