• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Black Friday

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Ah, the Christmas spirit!

Seriously think about it, a lot of people buy gifts for people they see once a year or they buy gifts for people they don't even like. It's almost as if they feel compelled & it's the "right thing to do", screw that nonsense. I bet if most people had the opportunity they would chose entirely different family members than they have. Just because you were born into a family doesn't mean you automatically need to like all of them.

Have only seen my brother once in the 13 years since my moms death & i'm fine with that. Been 26 years since I saw my father, for all I know he could be dead. Sure as hell won't waste my time buying either of them any christmas junk.

Sounds kinda cheesy but Linus got it right in Charlie Browns Christmas movie. Everything is way too commercial, buy this, buy that, buy it now, put it on credit, just get it now, don't be late.

When I grow up I want to be a combination of Scrooge & the Grinch.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Seriously think about it, a lot of people buy gifts for people they see once a year or they buy gifts for people they don't even like. It's almost as if they feel compelled & it's the "right thing to do", screw that nonsense. I bet if most people had the opportunity they would chose entirely different family members than they have. Just because you were born into a family doesn't mean you automatically need to like all of them.

Oh, I know. The family I was born into is just fine. It's the family I married into...

We won't hold our breath on that one!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
We saved SOOOO much money,

I got the best way to save money at Xmas.

I don't buy $hit for anybody. :laugh:

I can't deal with all that mall crap either. We've got "Providence Place" right down the road and I never go there. I can't stand driving around in fcking circles in that parking garage then sit in traffic for a GD half hour just to get out. I could walk there and back a lot faster.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

Have only seen my brother once in the 13 years since my moms death & i'm fine with that. Been 26 years since I saw my father, for all I know he could be dead. Sure as hell won't waste my time buying either of them any christmas junk.

Sounds kinda cheesy but Linus got it right in Charlie Browns Christmas movie. Everything is way too commercial, buy this, buy that, buy it now, put it on credit, just get it now, don't be late.

Bingo.

R35

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
This is a really easy position for a married man to take. You know that if your family doesn't give anyone presents, your wife is gonna take the heat. So you know you can all sit back and pontificate away, secure that she's gonna deal with all the shopping cr@p.

Life is really unfair sometimes. Example #58.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Bingo.

R35

I can relate to that one Wi. I have 2 stepbrothers and a stepsister. We are supposed to just all buy a $20 or so gift and then we do some game thing where we pick #'s. So everyone buys and recieves one piece of crap of gift.
icon10.gif
One of my stepbrother's, being the jackass he is, went out and bought everyone each a gift. Then, he rubs the $hit in about it. Thing is, he got all total crap. Gave me a dozen Pinnacles, my brother, an Allen Houston Knicks jersey. Not only is my bro a Celtics fan, bigtime, but this guy hasn't even played for the Knicks in like 4yrs. So basically he went and got a bunch of crap off the super-clearance racks then tried to make everyone feel like $hit about it.

BTW- we all buy gifts for the kids. My poor sister came up with my niece from FL last year. She had enough $hit to fill a GD 16' box truck. If the kid didn't get 50 stuffed animals she didn't get 1.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Christmas is about kids. Kids can't buy their own crap, so they rely on days like that to get stuff.

Adults, those that live normally, buy what they need. X-mas is an excuse to get shit you don't need, like an Allen Houston jersey.

X-mas is a farce. Just like lobster. People don't really like lobster, they just need a vessel to eat butter without being labelled a fatty. :D

R35

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
This is a really easy position for a married man to take. You know that if your family doesn't give anyone presents, your wife is gonna take the heat. So you know you can all sit back and pontificate away, secure that she's gonna deal with all the shopping cr@p.

Life is really unfair sometimes. Example #58.

I'm surprised none of the relatives bitched about last year. We bought gifts for my mother-in law, sister-in law, younger stepdaughter, etc. I tried to talk my wife out of buying them anything since they don't appreciate it anyways. We then call them up & ask if they are coming up, we live about 120 miles from all of them. Get the bs run around about how they can't afford time, gas etc. So we held onto everything for 2 months & waited. Come the end of february we opened everything up, kept the Kohls gift cards for ourselves & the rest we donated to our local womens shelter. This year we buy nothing for anyone except our 2 grandkids.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm surprised none of the relatives bitched about last year. We bought gifts for my mother-in law, sister-in law, younger stepdaughter, etc. I tried to talk my wife out of buying them anything since they don't appreciate it anyways. We then call them up & ask if they are coming up, we live about 120 miles from all of them. Get the bs run around about how they can't afford time, gas etc. So we held onto everything for 2 months & waited. Come the end of february we opened everything up, kept the Kohls gift cards for ourselves & the rest we donated to our local womens shelter. This year we buy nothing for anyone except our 2 grandkids.

Hey, if you need a charity, I'll send you my address. :D

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
U.S. taxpayers only get deductions for gifts to U.S. charities.

In the big scheme of things, a small donation like that leads to about a 17 cent return on your taxes anyways. Big whoop.

Sometimes, your heart has to be bigger than your wallet. I mean, how many Asian and African kids are you sponsoring each month? :D

R35

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
In the big scheme of things, a small donation like that leads to about a 17 cent return on your taxes anyways. Big whoop.

Sometimes, your heart has to be bigger than your wallet. I mean, how many Asian and African kids are you sponsoring each month? :D

R35

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just can't stop myself. Though between Hubby and me, we sit on the boards or otherwise volunteer at about a half dozen charities. You?

🔥 Latest posts