• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blades on tour?

Longdrive

Dec 31, 2008
I just got my first set of blades from a member on here at a great deal I might add. They are Mizuno MP 33's. After a couple of rounds, I am hitting the ball straighter than ever and the forged feel is awesome! The only problem is... I am needing 1 more club than usual on every shot as my distance is not what it was with any other set I've played. First off, is this normal with blades? Secondly, why is it that the majority of tour players choose not to hit blades?
I am beginning to wonder if my swing is just coming around and I would benefit more from say a forged cavity back rather than blades. Thanks in advance for your input.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
IMHO, blades are great for grooving your swing. You will learn to make better center of the face contact with blades because anything off center just doesn't travel as far. That is probably why more pros don't use them. With a cavity back, off center hits will travel farther, therefore you won't be penalized as much.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i don't think i will ever go to a blade, but i may own a set one day to try them out once in a while. i think a cavity back with minimal offset is the best combination you should play.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Unless trouble is right and left of the green, instead of short...

I never struck the ball better, in my life, than I did when I had a bag full of blades. But I do feel like the CBs give me better results. Or maybe it's all in my head. I've never gotten the distance out of these CBs that I did with my blades. I hit the blades on a mid trajectory with a very penetrating flight, and I just hammered the hell out of them.

:'(

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Did you get those from Jeff?

I had a set of 33's that have travelled the world. I wonder where they are now...

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Steve Stricker was using 755s, that's unfreakingbelieveable....

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
youd be surprised how many people still play a blade on tour. go to any tour event and look on the driving range at the pro's whose bags you can look into youll be surprised - its more than youd think.

secondly i gained 2 clubs by switching to my current set of taylor tp's from my ol' kzg blades. forged clubs tend to be softer and traditional lofts and most of the cavity back new clubs lofts' are jacked up club and half at least - so yes this is normal

gcinbc

Always up for Round
Oct 15, 2007
I just got my first set of blades from a member on here at a great deal I might add. They are Mizuno MP 33's. After a couple of rounds, I am hitting the ball straighter than ever and the forged feel is awesome! The only problem is... I am needing 1 more club than usual on every shot as my distance is not what it was with any other set I've played. First off, is this normal with blades? Secondly, why is it that the majority of tour players choose not to hit blades?
I am beginning to wonder if my swing is just coming around and I would benefit more from say a forged cavity back rather than blades. Thanks in advance for your input.
Hello Longdrive

What shaft are you playing in the MP 33's? I picked up a set of 33's with Rifle flighted to practice with and give my other blades a rest however, I noticed I was also about a club shorter from my other clubs. At first I thought is was due to the higher ball flight of the Mizunos, as opposed to my other blades. Luckily, I figured out the shaft flex was about 1/2 to 3/4 too stiff and while I was super straight, I wasn't getting the kick from the shaft properly. After I soft stepped them twice, they feel great and I got my distance back. I hope you can figure it out, as those are beautiful irons with an awesome feel on well struck shots.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have a set of Marumans which are about as close to blades as I will ever get & they are miserable assed clubs to play.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008

I have a set of 755s as a backup set. They are dead feeling in my hands compared to my 690mb blades. They do go about half a club farther though.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Not "was"; "still is". He has 1.3 million reasons to smile after the Deutsche Bank last week. Nothing unbelievable about the 755. They're great irons & a former Hot List gold medal winner. Mine aren't leaving my bag any time soon. :prop:

OP
L

Longdrive

Dec 31, 2008
Rockford35,
These just might be your old irons as I did get them from Jeff.
They are sweet!

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure the grooves on the 755s are non-conforming so Stricker will have to change next year.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
back when I played TA1's they were quite a bit shorter. Given, my other set at the time were TM Supersteel Burner's, which had pretty strong lofts.

What usually killed me on the TA1's was the spin. Soooo Spinny. I'm talking a 155 yard 7 iron that would spin back off the green.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I was a walking scorer for two days at the Boeing Classic this year. Of the 6 pros I scored for, 5 were using clubs more forgiving than mine. Which means I'm a moron for playing them. :D

Incidently, Hal Sutton was the oddball. He bags an older set of Hogan blades, and lordy, what a ball striker that guy is. Those tiny-headed clubs looked impossible to hit, and I watched him pure shot after shot after shot with them.

🔥 Latest posts