• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blades Question??

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
I am an avid admirer of oversized irons and use them myself to improve my game. I can work the ball, cut, draw, and hit it straight with my oversized irons.

The other day, my best friend brought out his Nike Tour Blades (the same Tiger uses) and I decided to try to hit them for the first time. I tried the 2 iron like an idiot and I hit a blistering 220 yard shot from the deck. I expected to feel the vibrations all the way to my brain, but nothing.....
Brain still intact... I used a few other irons and all with the same great result. I just cant figure how I hit them so good. I know that with blades, you have to hit them almost perfect. Blades are commonly known not to have much forgiveness. Maybe I was wrong....

Does anyone know if the other brands out there (Mizuno, Wilson, Macgregor, etc) hit as easy as Nike Forged Blades??

:usflag:

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
from what i've heard, the nike blades are supposed to be some of the hardest blades to hit i.e. the majority of the weight spread up very high on the face.

i have the cleveland TA1's and couldn't hit them very consistently, miniscule head size and me not being good enough... yet...

ask anyone else here and i'm pretty sure that they're gonna say mizuno makes the best blades, and based upon what i hear, they're right, they rank up higher on the forgivability scale among blades, but still are nothing compared to oversized cavity's

please beware of the first hit curse, happened to me when i demoed the TA1's could hit anyshot i wanted, just totally in the zone and blasting the ball, i assume it was because i was focusing extra hard due to the "oh i'm hitting blades, i better hit it on the nail or my arms are gonna hurt for a week"... factor.

if you like blades now, but are scared to take the plunge on a set (join the masses) i recommend a compromising players cavity, which was what i did. you still get forgiveness on those "what the hell did i do there" swings, yet if you have to, you can make the adjustments and play a fade or draw if needed. something to look into maybe...

hope this helped

OP
Massimo

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
Thanks YoungGun. I will try to hit some more blades before definitely buying.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've heard Mizuno's are easier to hit. I have Titleist 690mb's. They look nice but on an off day they make this game miserable. On a good day however, they are much more accurate than my old Mizuno cavity backs. I wouldn't even dare to put the 3 or 4 iron in my bag though. I have hybrids. If I had the money I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat for a set of MP60's. If you dig into the posts for the last few months you'll see Youngun and I have had many a ruined day of golf trying to play with these unforgiving bitches.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I hit blades, players cavity, and OS irons all about the same I think. The difference is you can feel your misses with the blades moreso than the others

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If you're a consistent ball striker, and by the sounds of you being able to work the ball a bit, you are, i doubt any blade would be difficult for you to pick up with little work. If you're hitting the ball in the sweet spot 90% of the time, it won't matter what clube you're hitting.

But as VT says, it's more about the misses than the good swings...

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
If you're a consistent ball striker, and by the sounds of you being able to work the ball a bit, you are, i doubt any blade would be difficult for you to pick up with little work. If you're hitting the ball in the sweet spot 90% of the time, it won't matter what clube you're hitting.

But as VT says, it's more about the misses than the good swings...

R35

Exactly - it doesn't really matter what club you hit. It's all in getting the ball into the hole. If I had time to work on my chipping and putting, I bet I could get down to a 3-4 instead of a 8-9 easily

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Massimo said:
Blades are commonly known not to have much forgiveness. Maybe I was wrong....

Does anyone know if the other brands out there (Mizuno, Wilson, Macgregor, etc) hit as easy as Nike Forged Blades??

:usflag:

I am a 15 handicapper, so I "shouldn't play blades" according to the pundits.

Nonsense. I picked up a set of Tommy Armour 845 V-25 on eBay for $150. I love these clubs. Much more forgiving than I expected. I would look on eBay and get a set of these. They really are nice.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Yes any club will perform well from the sweet spot. But if you miss the sweet spot 90% of the time blades aren't for you.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Try out the Mizuno MP-32's if you're serious about blades as they are among the most forgiving around. Not too shabby from an appearance standpoint either

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Firstly,all baldes are as different to each other as cavity and perimiter weighted clubs are.They vary significantly if both feel and in particular,where the weight is placed (ie the modern day 'muscle back') and how big the sweet spot is.My irons have small heads,smaller than the CA1s,and tiny sweetspots.This isn't vanity,I just like them.

But the biggest difference is offset,and the large top edge on improvement irons.I can't hit a ball looking down on either.

There are 2 main reasons to buy blades,imho;

1) You like them and can hit with confidence,so it doesn't matter what they are called or designed,its where the ball ends up.
2) You want to hit the ball lower than cavity backs

I agree with the guys earlier who said its the misses that matter more.A blade hit from the heel could fall 40 yards short and 20 yards right.A cavity back could be on the fringe.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Funny nobody mentions lies. My 690mb's were a bitch to hit from a shitty lie. I'm going for a set of players cavity backs now. MP30's or if I can score them MP60's. The blades had a nice feel and were capable of some cool shots but the 6,7 and 8 were tough unless the lie was good.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
ezra76 said:
Funny nobody mentions lies. My 690mb's were a bitch to hit from a shitty lie. I'm going for a set of players cavity backs now. MP30's or if I can score them MP60's. The blades had a nice feel and were capable of some cool shots but the 6,7 and 8 were tough unless the lie was good.

Actually, my V-25's are great from bad lies. The biggest shock was in the improvement in fairway bunker play. I couldn't hit my TA-7's out of a fairway bunker for shite. The V-25's are like magic. I mean, I can hit 165-yard 6-iron's from fairway bunkers to greens now. I've never been able to do that.

I'm telling you - if you think you might want to try a forged blade, and have a decent swing, spend the $150 on eBay to get a set of these. Ask bdCrowe, he'll tell you.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.