• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blades

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Haha!

The "chips" were more like varying sizes of black grains of sand. From powder to pea size, depending on the depth of cut.

Wait, what was this thread about anyhow?

hepkat

Aug 7, 2013
Mpls
Country
So my questions are;

1. what is the deal with blades? Are they harder to hit or what?
2. If I hit this Hogan 3 iron this well should that translate to other blades?
3. If I hit blades well overall, should I consider buying a set or are the not any better than cavity backs?

1. Sure, smaller sweetspot = harder to hit. But a good strike is rewarded in ways you can hear, feel, and somehow internalize. There's a clear tradoff between forgiveness and feel. The result of a mishit with a blade will almost surely be worse than a more forgiving club. In chilly weather, mishits can be downright punitive -- good incentive to put a good swing on the ball, however. There's a reason blades are often referred to as "player's clubs." If you can consistently put a good swing on the ball, the response and performance make it worthwhile. I would say the long irons are generally harder to hit too. When you really nut a 3-iron, that shot will reverberate in your bones and muscle memory for a while. Pure long iron shots with a blade are especially satisfying!
  2. Yup, Hogan is a quality blade. But quality blades are comparable based on what I know from playing sets of Hogans, Haig-Ultras, and Mizuno MP-14s. The variance usually has to do with the look of the top-lines, head weight, and crispness of the grooves. They all feel good and I like to swap them out every couple of months just to recalibrate and wake up the hands. They all provide excellent feedback and look great, imo.
  3. Since blades are harder to hit and the marketing focus of modern clubs is on the latest technology, demand for blades is relatively low. I see blades for sale on eBay and Craigslist all the time. The only reason I have 3 damn sets of blades is because each set cost under $100. People spend how many multiples of that for a single driver or putter? Well worth the expense to try set of blades, hone your swing, and improve your awareness of where that clubface is at every point in your swing.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
  1. Sure, smaller sweetspot = harder to hit. But a good strike is rewarded in ways you can hear, feel, and somehow internalize. There's a clear tradoff between forgiveness and feel. The result of a mishit with a blade will almost surely be worse than a more forgiving club. In chilly weather, mishits can be downright punitive -- good incentive to put a good swing on the ball, however. There's a reason blades are often referred to as "player's clubs." If you can consistently put a good swing on the ball, the response and performance make it worthwhile. I would say the long irons are generally harder to hit too. When you really nut a 3-iron, that shot will reverberate in your bones and muscle memory for a while. Pure long iron shots with a blade are especially satisfying!
  2. Yup, Hogan is a quality blade. But quality blades are comparable based on what I know from playing sets of Hogans, Haig-Ultras, and Mizuno MP-14s. The variance usually has to do with the look of the top-lines, head weight, and crispness of the grooves. They all feel good and I like to swap them out every couple of months just to recalibrate and wake up the hands. They all provide excellent feedback and look great, imo.
  3. Since blades are harder to hit and the marketing focus of modern clubs is on the latest technology, demand for blades is relatively low. I see blades for sale on eBay and Craigslist all the time. The only reason I have 3 damn sets of blades is because each set cost under $100. People spend how many multiples of that for a single driver or putter? Well worth the expense to try set of blades, hone your swing, and improve your awareness of where that clubface is at every point in your swing.
I will disagree that misses are worse with blades. Misses with blades go almost nowhere and are generally still playable. That is not always so which GI clubs. At least in my experience.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, great post Hepkat. You even mentioned the blades I first used. Haig-Ultras which I believe were more higher end than the Wilson Staff. Still got 'em in the basement. 1974 vintage if I remember correctly. I'll have to dig 'em out for a round. Now playing Mizuno JPX800 Pro's with a thin top line.

hepkat

Aug 7, 2013
Mpls
Country
The chrome on the Haigs is still superb. The weights are a little lighter than I'd like, and perhaps their lofts are more open compared to the MP-14s. I use them on older, shorter, touchier courses. Was first introduced to Haig-Ultras through my father in-law, who owns a set with aluminum shafts. I used 'em over a freaky warm thanksgiving holiday and loved 'em enough to look for my own set of Haigs on eBay. When I play the Haig-Ultras, I wanna be see a persimmon wood in the bag (which isn't so bad a choice for short, old, touchy courses). Weird how the look of those clubs affects me. They are beauts...

hepkat

Aug 7, 2013
Mpls
Country
Was at the local Golf Club Hospital in Mpls today, a one-man club repair and build shop. Asked him a few questions about blades (is it worth cutting new grooves -- perhaps but be prepared for rechroming at $50 per club). He shared with me what is perhaps the #1 customer issue/complaint/question he's faced with weekly: why their new clubs aren't performing up to expectations set by their previous set -- which often are blades. He hears a lot of people admit liking their old irons better than the modern irons.

As for Hogan blades, he advises Apex made any time Hogan was alive and served as pres. or chairman. Build quality wasn't the same after Hogan was sold away from AMF. Didn't Calloway purchase Hogan and then discontinue it? If Hogan is indeed dismantled now, I would think those Hogan blades would be a little more valuable as now? Thinking about Hogans while watching Oak Hill PGA. Nice.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
whew..$50 per club?
Every set of blades Ive seen so far has seriously been deprived of chrome with rust all over the heads. Kind of why I was hoping for a stainless version...even if its not quite as good as the carbon steel.

I wonder if there is something cheaper that could be used ?
We used to use aluminum paint to redo those old tin roofs after cleaning the rust off.
The chrome seems to just be about looks, right?

I cant justify spending $50 a club for a whole set. The wife would have me drawn and quartered :D

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Just a thought here William. If you would like a set of blades maybe find a cheap set in fair condition. If you have access to a sand blaster clean them up with that and maybe powder coat them. Or maybe polish them up and use gun bluing to finish them. It could work.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
Or maybe pick up an odd forged iron and practice finishing methods until you find one you like. You seem like a handy do it yourself type. Could be a fun project.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Was at the local Golf Club Hospital in Mpls today, a one-man club repair and build shop. Asked him a few questions about blades (is it worth cutting new grooves -- perhaps but be prepared for rechroming at $50 per club). He shared with me what is perhaps the #1 customer issue/complaint/question he's faced with weekly: why their new clubs aren't performing up to expectations set by their previous set -- which often are blades. He hears a lot of people admit liking their old irons better than the modern irons.

As for Hogan blades, he advises Apex made any time Hogan was alive and served as pres. or chairman. Build quality wasn't the same after Hogan was sold away from AMF. Didn't Calloway purchase Hogan and then discontinue it? If Hogan is indeed dismantled now, I would think those Hogan blades would be a little more valuable as now? Thinking about Hogans while watching Oak Hill PGA. Nice.
Callaway was the most recent owner of Hogan but not the owner immediately after Hogan.

The brand went to a Japanese owner (I think), Spaulding, Top Flite and maybe another or two before callaway.

🔥 Latest posts